lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-16-2018, 05:39 PM   #1
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

Default 2011+ TXTs Question

Our shop is located in a very rural area (so most carts we sell and work on are over 20+ years old, with the exception of the new Yamaha EFI Drives we sell now) So I've started noticing a trend on the 2011+ TXTs (and I don't mean the body styles of the 2015+ either)

What happened to the smooth Robin twin cylinder?! It's been replaced by the same 13HP Kawasaki 'thumper' motor (I call it that as it is very rough to ride and with my back going bad it hurts to have it thumping at high RPMs during test drives) that the RXVs use.

It's very loud, too. and of course, like the gas RXVs, they are a royal pain to service. However, unlike the RXV, the drain plug is in the worst place and is above a pan that will drip used oil long after it's been drained with no accessibility to get what's left without a hose.

Did EZ-GO have a falling out with Robin? I really loved the twin cylinder for its quiet and smooth operation and ease of service. Even motor swaps were easier. I can't find any information online or in this forum about why EZ-GO stopped making carts with them...
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-17-2018, 01:29 AM   #2
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2011+ TXTs Question

If i recall correctly, it was down to the Robin 295/350 not meeting US emmission specs and would have been too much expense to upgrade it. I am still mourning its demise. LOL
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 06:42 AM   #3
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

Thankfully we still get a lot more with the twins...

One of the worst failures on the Kawasakis is the Team clutches freezing up. Customers don't really like hearing about the $600 cost of a replacement!

They also burn through starter generator brushes like a 454 Chevy burns through a gas tank.

Interesting that it's emissions related. I was under the impression it was some disagreement like with Club Car and Trojan Batteries.

We actually have had customers bring in carts they bought 2 years ago complaining about them not running all of a sudden. Turns out they simply ran out of gas! they don't use a whole lot!
Old 05-17-2018, 12:00 PM   #4
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

Robins where made by Fuji motors then bought out by Subaru and used in EZGOs for a couple years , then from what I read EZGO couldn't make a deal with Subaru and went with Kawasaki.
StoveBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 05:56 PM   #5
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

Robin was always Subaru's small engine department, was it not? Even the 2 strokes were made by them. Every generator i saw always had Robin and Subaru put together.

The twin cylinders were used for far longer than a couple years. they were in cars from 1994 all the way to 2010
Old 05-17-2018, 07:21 PM   #6
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

I knew 2 cylinder Robins were used since 94 but thought they were made by Fuji motors, only in the last few years they were used, that I seen Subaru on the tag, was Fuji part of Subaru?
Old 05-17-2018, 07:22 PM   #7
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

Subaru and Robin are both Fuji Heavy Industries, Japan. I used to own a Subaru XT6 car as my first vehicle. Parts for the XT/XT6 had Robin on them, so i guess Robin is their parts dept as well, like Mopar is for Chrysler/Dodge

All the twin cylinders here have 'robin engine inc. fuji industries' on the plastic bit where the carb is.
Old 05-17-2018, 07:28 PM   #8
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

Thanks for clearing that up, first I noticed the Subaru on them was about the time they switched to the round air filter, 2005 or so?
Old 05-17-2018, 07:31 PM   #9
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

I'm just thankful this week all tune-up kits on EZ-GOs were on the twins. I really can't stand the Kawasaki on multiple levels (especially service) I mean on Club Car they're ok unless you have to swap coils (VERY common on 96/97 models) but on RXV gas and especially newer TXT they're a pain! To say nothing about how rough they are when driving.

I'll have to look at the label on the round filter versions. never noticed more than Robin Engine on them but you learn something new every day...
Old 05-17-2018, 07:35 PM   #10
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

Great little motor.

Tags
13hp, kawasaki, robin
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO