lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-20-2019, 10:16 AM   #1
nwocart
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default best radio for my $$$

I have an 89 marathon 2 stroke. I am looking for radio options. Prefer something run off 12v, that can be mounted (not worried about direct bolt up, I can make brackets if needed), and has bluetooth capabilities and 3.5mm hookups (via red/white rca input, or just an aux jack).

Louder the better, but I honestly don't want to spend more than $50-100.

On my old cart I made a box out of plywood, mounted a head unit, had 2 6x9s out the front (it was mounted right behind back rests on a roll bar) and 2 smaller speakers out the back. It was loud enough for what I wanted, but a pain in the *** to put together. I have all of those components but I usually find by the time I get the supplies and spend the time, I have more money in it than its worth. I had all kinds of hours in my last box, plus $90 in audio equipment, plus stain/lacquer etc.

Since its for a golf cart I'm sure I can get away with something not as loud as the 6x9 car audio setup, but I would prefer it be just as loud. I also prefer it be mounted, I don't want to carry a small bluetooth speaker on/off the cart and have to charge it.

I have been debating between a cheaper motorcycle style speaker like this:

GoldenHawk-Waterproof-Bluetooth-Motorcycle-Handlebar

pros: price for this one (most are $200++), one mounting spot, one set of wires to run, clean looking, can mount on roof or dash, has FM radio,

cons: reviews are 50/50, probably not super loud (lots of reviews say on a motorcycle you can't hear it over 30 mph which means I should be OK on my cart)

or a setup that has the "wakeboard" style speakers (two separate "pods") which seem like they might be louder, but I have no experience with them. appears this "boss" set has a 4 speaker option for $85 and a 2 speaker option for $65

Boss Audio Wakeboard Style Speakers

pros: probably louder (I assume),

cons: have to mount 2 speakers, not as clean looking, this style looks like it will run me on the higher end of my price range no matter what brand and that is still the low-end for wakeboard style speakers. golf cart will look weird with 2-4 big speakers mounted everywhere.

open to suggestions if anybody has used these products or has similar ones they want to suggest? Figured Id see what everybody else is using before I start on a bulky custom box that will be a long project just to still be a pain in the ***.
nwocart is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-20-2019, 10:49 AM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: best radio for my $$$

These actually work pretty well. Theres several different radios that look just like this, they're all basically made.from the same manufacturer with different branding. But quite cheap, small, easy to mount, and has all the functionality you're looking for

BOSS Audio MCKGB350W.6 Receiver/Speaker Package, Bluetooth, MP3/USB AM/FM Marine Stereo, (No CD/DVD), Two 6.5 Inch Speakers, Antenna https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VV6YODG..._GcMKCb2RBVJJQ
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 11:40 AM   #3
nwocart
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
These actually work pretty well. Theres several different radios that look just like this, they're all basically made.from the same manufacturer with different branding. But quite cheap, small, easy to mount, and has all the functionality you're looking for

BOSS Audio MCKGB350W.6 Receiver/Speaker Package, Bluetooth, MP3/USB AM/FM Marine Stereo, (No CD/DVD), Two 6.5 Inch Speakers, Antenna https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VV6YODG..._GcMKCb2RBVJJQ
I'm not entirely sure I want to start with another "kit" since i have speakers and head units sitting unused. Are they loud? I really was trying to get away from building another speaker box, especially with unused equipment sitting around.

where are you mounting yours?
Old 07-17-2019, 07:33 AM   #4
nwocart
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwocart View Post

I have been debating between a cheaper motorcycle style speaker like this:

GoldenHawk-Waterproof-Bluetooth-Motorcycle-Handlebar

pros: price for this one (most are $200++), one mounting spot, one set of wires to run, clean looking, can mount on roof or dash, has FM radio,

cons: reviews are 50/50, probably not super loud (lots of reviews say on a motorcycle you can't hear it over 30 mph which means I should be OK on my cart)

I sold this cart shortly after I got it rebuilt. 2 stroke not for me. But for anybody wondering about that "goldenhawk motorcycle bluetooth radio" I would stay far far away. it was a giant piece of crap and not loud enough to hear over a 3pg marathon even mounted right below the cup holders. Bluetooth worked but the radio tuner never worked, not even on the replacement from amazon. I would have rather spent the money on a rechargeable bluetooth speaker for $35 - i have one and at least I would have been able to hear it
Old 07-17-2019, 12:25 PM   #5
Savage 99 Joe
Not Yet Wild

I have a 1000w Shark audio system on my Harley and it works great. Bluetooth able and comes with 4 speakers and wireless remote. I paid $110.
Savage 99 Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO