lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-21-2007, 08:14 AM   #1
BRS
Master BS'r

Club Car

Default Bad Rub!

My last mod. on my 2001 CC involved a Jakes 6" spindle lift and 24"x12"x10" turf tires. When driving on flat ground there are no issues, but when I go down a slight decline (say shallow ditch) it's as if the spindle travels back underneath the cart and causes a terrible rubbing issue. Everything is secure, it's just the lift flexes when downward pressure is applied and turning. I got do something, I don't know if this sounds normal or not. BTW my 1995 CC with Jakes does the same thing but my tires are only 22"x10"x11" so I just know not make sharp turns and it's rubbing is minimal.
BRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-21-2007, 10:01 AM   #2
ruredy
Born Wild

Default Re: Bad Rub!

If you sell me those wheels and tires for say.....$200 That will fix your problem. I'll even throw in an extra $40 for shipping
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 12:20 PM   #3
Yamaha4life
The Overposter!

Yamaha

Can you loosen the bolts on the front part of the lift, and then dremel the holes out into slots it so you can move up an inch or two? I did that on my G2 with a BU lift and it cut all the rub out...
Yamaha4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 11:01 PM   #4
ElC
Gone Wild

You're not getting any play on the spindle? So when the suspension compresses it alows the tire to move UP and rub? or is it really flexing backward. Can you have someone drive it while you see whats happening? I have a 6" spindle lift on my CC and it doesn't do that.
ElC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 04:54 AM   #5
roady89
nimda
Club Car

It's a common occurance for them to rub...even a Jakes Lift. It doesn't happen to ALL Club Cars but its pretty common. I have the same lift with 22x10x11 mudlites and it has rubbed more than a few times just like you are explaining it. You would think Jakes would know this by now and have built in a cure for it.

One of 2 cures will fix it...either loosen the bolts and slide the assembly forward as far as it will go...this "might" just get you enough but I doubt it.

OR, drill a new set of holes further forward in the frame. I believe 3/4 of an inch is how far you move it...maybe someone else who has done it can chime in with the exact measurement.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 09:40 AM   #6
NO NO NO E-Z-GO!
Gone Wild

3/4" is as far as you can safely go.
NO NO NO E-Z-GO! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 11:11 AM   #7
phasetim
Just me. .

Club Car

I've never had a jakes lift rub, I've probably installed 50 of their 6" spindle lifts...

however, I've seen them get REALLY close... lol...
phasetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 08:42 PM   #8
BRS
Master BS'r

Club Car

I'm going to see if I can slide them forward with some new holes. The spindle actually flexes back? Phasetim, sounds like you've installed many of them...but if you didn't take it home with you,...you may not know of the issue. I put this setup on my mom's cart...everything seemed fine. A month later mom is telling me what's going on, in our carting enviorment it maybe happens 10% of the time, but it's well worth mentioning. If I can't fix it I will be putting smaller rims/tires on it.
BRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 08:55 PM   #9
NO NO NO E-Z-GO!
Gone Wild

You may consider replacing the leaf spring. If they get weak, they can allow some fore-aft flex. It's not much, but it may be enough to cause your problem.
NO NO NO E-Z-GO! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 12:24 AM   #10
phasetim
Just me. .

Club Car

Jakes reccommends a 22x11x10 with a 3 x 5" offset.. That might be the problem with the 24 " tires... not sure about your other car...

I'm kinda thinking along the same line as no no... leaf spring could be weak, also the delta plate bushings, spring bushings, etc.. might be causing a problem.. I'm trying

Have you tried calling jakes?

1-866-40-Jakes I've had few issues where I needed to call them, but when I did, I received good service.
phasetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car