lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-20-2011, 10:40 PM   #1
jchochla
Not Yet Wild

Default ClubCar DS Stereo install help please!

Hello. I want to install an overhead stereo in my ds. I want to buy the console, speakers and radio by myself and install it myself to save money. Can someone please help me to figure this out? Does anyone have a diagram or anything visual for me to look at? How do i run wire to the battery? Should i just go through one of the front poles that's holding up the canopy...?

Console:http://www.ebay.com/itm/GOLF-CART-UN...ht_2890wt_1189

Radio: http://www.ebay.com/itm/330600196184...84.m1436.l2649

Speakers:http://www.ebay.com/itm/290592858458...ht_1754wt_1189

Thanks@
jchochla is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-21-2011, 12:57 PM   #2
ckiguy
Bad *** Speller!

Club Car

Default Re: ClubCar DS Stereo install help please!

It may look tacky, but you can get you some 3.8 inch wire loom, or something that will comfortably hold 4 wires and zip tie it down the pole, front or back, the run you wire to the batery, frame and soloind in the bloack box. Unless you just run 2 wires, ground and hot from the solioniod or battery. Either way no real easy way to drill a 1/2 hole top and bottom and pull the wires out and then protect them. The wire lom hides the wire and protectes it too!
ckiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 06:24 PM   #3
jchochla
Not Yet Wild

Ok sounds good. Im not really experienced in this. Thats why I'm asking so many questions from the people who are familiar with this. So can you tell me what wires i need to run from the speakers to the radio? And what i need to run from the radio to the battery?

Thank you!
jchochla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 04:27 AM   #4
Rhino1472
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

In the process of installing mine as well, thinking about 'fishing' mine down the support bars for top. Seems like best way to hide them.
Rhino1472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 12:15 PM   #5
on_the_fly
Gone Wild

Club Car

Run your wires inside the top support tubes, drill hole big enough to fit a round plastic grommet that will protect the wire from the tubing, ( can get at any auto parts store or a lowes or somewhere) to run your wires, slowly stuff some string into the top hole and have someone else using a shop-vac or a home vacume cleaner at the bottom hole to suck the string through the tube. After string is through tape your wires to the string and feed them through while someone pulls the string. This will give you a much much cleaner look than any other way you could think of !
on_the_fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 08:25 PM   #6
ckiguy
Bad *** Speller!

Club Car

not shooting the hiding idea, but the wire will still be visable at the bottom of the rails till it goes under the front cowl, or you will see the wire run along the roof line till it gets to the rear posts. then with having to drill a 1/2 in hole in ruffle 3/4 square stock, and taking nearly most of the material away, i think will structurley hurt it. i have seen it done both ways at work in trucks and forklifts at work, and if theres ever a problem, we run the new wire harness on the outside, since it always rubbs either at the bottom of the frame or where it comes out at the top oif the frame. just my 2 cents!
Old 08-24-2011, 04:51 PM   #7
on_the_fly
Gone Wild

Club Car

you dont need a half inch hole for only two wires (hot n ground) and even with a grommet 3/8's is plenty and even a 1/2 inch hole would not hut the strength of the tubing. you would only be drilling one hole on one side of a 4 sided steel tube, it will still carry the weight of the cc top and radio/ speaker setup without any issues, any if your wire went in the tubing at the closest point from the over head console, and if you took and drilled your top support tube from the the bottom side and drilled the bottom hole on the inside of the mounting plate and into the bottom of the tubing then when on the cart you would only have about 1 1/2 inch of wire in visable site. that could be covered with a small pice of wire loom or you could just put a small dab of clear 100% silicone down the visable wire and press it up against the mounting plate till silicone sets up then most people would never pay any attintion to it till ya point it out.

remimber anything worth doing is worth doing right and if you don't have the time to do it right the first time when will you have the time to do it again?
on_the_fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 07:18 PM   #8
ckiguy
Bad *** Speller!

Club Car

Jc only wires that have to go is the yellow wire to the ign the red to a battery and the black to a ground. All the purple gray green wires go to speakers the blue wire is for a amp or a pwr antennea. The antennea is all in the roof area. the higher it is the better rection it wil get. yes i abmit a 1/2 hole for 3 wires is a little big, but pulling it out oh a 1 inch square tube through a 3/8 hole is going to be a little tight and a pain in the arse! especilly in wire loom which makes it even harder to bend corners. but there is no real reason to seal the holes with silicone. it will in a since lock the wire in place so not to move, but if it moves the wire loom protects the wires. but this is why there are say 500 mechanics on here with 500 wyas of doing things. it will be up to you to decide.

So as far as right or wrong i look at it as how you like it, just last night on a forklift it caught on fire due to a headlight wire in the cage rub through and shorted out. So my works policy is any repires are to be external. In wireloom, on the forklifts headlights. Its the only cage mounted electrical we have on them. Major trucking company with 4 thousand forklift and 5 thousand tractors and ruffly 15 thousand trailors. But rember this is us and canada wide.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:06 AM   #9
gatormeup
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I mounted mine in the little storage compartment on the driver side, very easy to hide wires and much easier to access....... just my .02........... I didnt hardly use that anyway, just to collect junk and such..... Cut a peice of plexi to mount radio in, painted back of it silver to match rest of trim and mounted it.......looks good and shiny due to painting back of it,,,,, can post pics if interested!!
gatormeup is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car