lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-30-2010, 02:07 PM   #1
arjay1954
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 295cc compression?

I have a '92 EZGO w/ the 295cc engine. I have 110# in the front cylinder and 100# in the rear. Is that about right? I just bought it a while back and really know nothing about them.I think it's what you call a fleet model. It's a two seater and carrys two bags.
arjay1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-30-2010, 07:21 PM   #2
arjay1954
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 295cc compression?

Could somebody post a link to where I can find this out? I'm getting cross eyed looking at this computer screen!
Old 08-30-2010, 08:30 PM   #3
ez go go
Doin' the Wild Thang

E-Z-GO

That comp. is too low. 130 to 160 is o.k. but 130 is really pushing the low end and even at that you are going to have a power loss. I'd check the valve lash and check comp. again to see if it helps.
ez go go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 08:48 PM   #4
arjay1954
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Okay, thanks. I've set the valve lash tonight, but I won't get the starter-generator back until Wednesday. I'm gonna do an oil change, air filter, fuel filter, spark plug replacement and a coil replacement ( weak spark) later this week or early next week.I have worked on much bigger equipment all my life and this small engine stuff is giving me a new learning curve. If you ever need to soup up an old IHC diesel or even a Gasser, don't be afraid to ask. It sounds like I need to plan on an engine refreshening this winter, which is gonna be a whole lot cheaper than the engine in the super late model sitting in my driveway right now. Thanks! I thought it sounded like low compression to me but I just wasn't sure.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:51 PM   #5
ez go go
Doin' the Wild Thang

E-Z-GO

.004 on those valves is what ez go calls for i think
Old 08-30-2010, 09:00 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ez go go View Post
.004 on those valves is what ez go calls for i think
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 09:38 PM   #7
arjay1954
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks. I decided I was gonna listen to EZGOMIKE or the other Mike that sounded like they knew what they were talking about and set them cold at .004 cold. I too was trained to set valves at warm engine temperature but this small engine stuff is just really foreign to me. I won't be asking any other stupid questions until later this winter, after racing season is over. Right now I just wanna get it running better so I can take it to the track and save myself a few steps. (GETTIN' OLD.) LOL.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:21 AM   #8
ez go go
Doin' the Wild Thang

E-Z-GO

Whatever it takes to get it runnin' guy.... Let us know how it goes and if BGW can be of any more assistance...
Old 09-02-2010, 09:41 PM   #9
arjay1954
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Okay everybody, I really appreciate the help so far. I replaced the coil, plugs, fuel filter, (looked pretty crappy) oil filter, (definitley dirty) and I have a new air filter for it too. The air filter was so bad that I could not see direct sunlight through it. My cart will run ( back wheels off the ground ) with the choke pulled completely shut, but as soon as you let up on the gas it dies. If you pump the gas pedal a bit it will stay running. Since replacing the coil I have great spark at the plugs. Is the low compression my problem or do I have a fuel pump problem. Just so you don't have to re-read everything, this is on a 1992 EZGO Marathon w/a 295 cc 4 stroke Robins engine. I've gonna be out of town for a bit and with Labor Day in the schedule, time is running short for me. I would really like to know what I need to order and or do to this cart so that I can use it Sept. 9th thru the 12th. I might need to add that the wiring on this cart is absolutely horrible. Thanks if you can help!
Old 09-08-2010, 08:27 PM   #10
arjay1954
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Talking Re: 295cc compression?

Thanks for all of the help. I replaced the fuel pump and it is now running great. It is loaded on the trailer and ready to head to Eldora Thursday morning. I put two quarts of Brad Penn 20W50 in it and it 'mokes a bit but runs fine. I've got an extra set of plugs just in case. If any of you folks are headed that way this weekend and you see an old beat up white Ezgo with a homemade black box on the rear running through Speedee campgroung, leaving a vapor trail of blue smoke, that'll probably be me. Can't wait.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO