lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-19-2011, 07:54 AM   #11
racin161
Gone Wild

Default Re: 2 cycle ezgo won't start, maybe engine problem?

Sorry but I think your living on borrowed time. Sputtering carb adjustment ? Check compression now and see what you've got.
racin161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-20-2011, 06:45 AM   #12
fingerpicker
Getting Wild

Hello racin, yeah it does seem like it sometimes lol. I checked compression and I am at 120, so it looks good there. I think my problem is the carb. I havn't noticed a decent price on a BV18, or I would have got it. The copper plate in the throat of mine doesn't look like all the rest where it's kind of opened in the middle half way. The plated on mine is somehow flipped around to where it rests on the pin. I am not sure it can be fixed. That's why I think I have carb problems and need to find another one.
fingerpicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 02:25 PM   #13
fingerpicker
Getting Wild

I put a different carb on today and cleaned it real well, because it started running a bit and then stalling almost to a complete stop and then I would go a little bit more and would keep doing that over and over back home, with an occasional backfire. It looks like it is borrowed time lol. I hope it is not the crank seals. I'll have to do a test. I have also noticed that my ground on the HEI module is not real tight. I can't get it to tighten and seat good. I"ll have to get that fixed as well. I hope that is the problem and not seals.
Old 10-20-2011, 02:31 PM   #14
ScooterMcTavish
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Can always put the back end on jack stands or slip off the drive belt, and try revving it.

Spray some WD40 behind the clutch, and behind the fan where the crank seals are (best to take the fan shroud off for this, though the safety aspects should be clear). If the cart revs up and smooths out, well at least you know it's the seals.
ScooterMcTavish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 02:50 PM   #15
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingerpicker View Post
I put a different carb on today and cleaned it real well, because it started running a bit and then stalling almost to a complete stop and then I would go a little bit more and would keep doing that over and over back home, with an occasional backfire. It looks like it is borrowed time lol. I hope it is not the crank seals. I'll have to do a test. I have also noticed that my ground on the HEI module is not real tight. I can't get it to tighten and seat good. I"ll have to get that fixed as well. I hope that is the problem and not seals.
Kind of a long shot here but ...........

The breather pipe on my carburetor got kinked which sealed the float chamber and gave me the exact symptoms that you describe above. Do you have that 8 inch plastic pipe fitted to your carburetor?

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 03:53 PM   #16
fingerpicker
Getting Wild

Yeah Dave I checked that pipe. I jacked it up today and sprayed around clutch and fan and didn't notice any rpm difference. I went back to checking all kinds of stuff. I checked pressure again. It is still 120 psi. I put a new plug in and put it to the top of muffler head. It has spark, but didn't seem to be a deep one. So, I have been thinking something with firing going down the dirt road, might be something when I hit a bump causing the cart to stall and making it take a bit to crank. When I first got the cart I was having a time I remembered the solenoid kept killing my battery and thought I had a dead battery, but it wasn't, it was the solenoid. I thought today to jump the battery and check if it is finally going. I jumped it and it fired off right away not a hesitant start like it usually does. So, I have been thinking could it be the battery making it stall and hard to start? I got looking around some checking wires. I noticed the black negative coming from battery to frame was a little loose, I tightened it up. I have been wandering how long the HEI coils last as well that may have been a suspect. I've got a Mallory type knockoff from Autozone. I have only had that and the Wells module about 4 or 5 months though. I did find the ground that was loose on the module a fews days ago and tightened it up. Hopefully it was the ground from battery being a little loose that cause the hard start and stalling. It doesn't seem to be doing it right now. It does seem to run a little congested sounding until it levels out. I still need to take the muffler loose and check it.
Old 10-21-2011, 05:51 PM   #17
fingerpicker
Getting Wild

Well, it is still doing it, I go about 100 ft, then it stalls, go 5 more feet, stall and backfire over and over back home. I must be overlooking something checking the crank seals. It has to be what it is. If I replace just the seals, does it seem like I would be good then. I just replaced gaskets, piston, rings, rod and bearings, and cylinder looked fine. I made sure I placed the piston the right way when I put it back in also. The kit for the rebuild is priced with the top end as well in the package, so it doesn't look like I can just buy the remaining items for the rebuild ata good price. So I figure on just replacing the seals when I can get time. I hope it is not something else besides the seals. I did notice a little bit of oil residue on the side of cranshaft(about the the diameter of half of a dime) when I crawled underneath, but not from crankshaft bolts. I am not sure what that could be.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO