lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-08-2011, 07:58 AM   #1
Down South
Growing In Grace

Club Car

Default Installed a voltage converter this past weekend

I installed a 20A voltage converter this weekend in the cart in my sig. The converter fit nicely under the cover for the controller. I mounted it against the front wall in the battery box.
The converter is one that one of our members had purchased which has a yellow trigger wire that ties into the switch to turn the converter off.
I hooked up the converter as instructed, the two input wires from 48V positive and negative. I disremember the colors of the wires. I ran the yellow trigger wire to the switch.
On this converter the output ground Wire has to be spliced with one end going to the battery that is used for ground to the cart controller. The spliced end, I ran to a terminal strip, see below.
I mounted a 6-fuse block on the rear wall of the battery box. I ran the positive output wire to the terminal on the fuse block. I also mounted a terminal strip and ran jumpers to four of the terminals on one side of the strip with the ground wire mentioned above spliced into the jumper.
I had a factory light kit so I disconnected the blue wire going to #4 battery and ran that wire to my fuse block. I installed a 15A fuse for the lights. A 10A probably would have worked but that is close to the output Amps of the lights when activated.
I installed a cigarette lighter in the front dash. While I was pulling the yellow trigger wire for the switch, I included two more #12 wires for the lighter. One for Pos and the other for Neg. I thought about chasing down a ground wire already in the harness in the dash but decided against it. I decided to keep this ground independent.
I hooked the wires for the lighter, Pos to the fuse block with another 15A fuse and the ground to the terminal strip opposite one of my jumpered terminals.
As of now, my lights and lighter are running from my battery pack instead of #4 battery. With the fuse block and terminal strip for ground, I will be able to easily wire in other accessories such as a radio/stereo.
I know pics are worth a thousand words and maybe I can get around to taking a few soon.
Down South is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-08-2011, 08:03 AM   #2
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Installed a voltage converter this past weekend

Sounds like the voltage reducer I put in my cart . . . yellow trigger wire, green wire for 12v positive to accessories, black for pack/accessory negative and red to pack positive . . and it sounds like you avoided some of the problems others had run into with their Precedents by not tapping into the factory harness . . . glad to hear it worked out well for you!! . . . .
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 08:38 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

These things produce a good amount of heat. I would be weary of it overheating beneath the controller cover?
I'm not saying it is going to overheat but I would be worried about that.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 11:40 AM   #4
Stevec3201
haveacupofshutthe****up

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down South View Post
I installed a 20A voltage converter this weekend in the cart in my sig. The converter fit nicely under the cover for the controller. I mounted it against the front wall in the battery box.
The converter is one that one of our members had purchased which has a yellow trigger wire that ties into the switch to turn the converter off.
I hooked up the converter as instructed, the two input wires from 48V positive and negative. I disremember the colors of the wires. I ran the yellow trigger wire to the switch.
On this converter the output ground Wire has to be spliced with one end going to the battery that is used for ground to the cart controller. The spliced end, I ran to a terminal strip, see below.
I mounted a 6-fuse block on the rear wall of the battery box. I ran the positive output wire to the terminal on the fuse block. I also mounted a terminal strip and ran jumpers to four of the terminals on one side of the strip with the ground wire mentioned above spliced into the jumper.
I had a factory light kit so I disconnected the blue wire going to #4 battery and ran that wire to my fuse block. I installed a 15A fuse for the lights. A 10A probably would have worked but that is close to the output Amps of the lights when activated.
I installed a cigarette lighter in the front dash. While I was pulling the yellow trigger wire for the switch, I included two more #12 wires for the lighter. One for Pos and the other for Neg. I thought about chasing down a ground wire already in the harness in the dash but decided against it. I decided to keep this ground independent.
I hooked the wires for the lighter, Pos to the fuse block with another 15A fuse and the ground to the terminal strip opposite one of my jumpered terminals.
As of now, my lights and lighter are running from my battery pack instead of #4 battery. With the fuse block and terminal strip for ground, I will be able to easily wire in other accessories such as a radio/stereo.
I know pics are worth a thousand words and maybe I can get around to taking a few soon.
Sometimes I wish I advoided that factory harness, but what is done is done. Glad to hear you are having fun with yours! I saw a panasonic car strereo with 4 speakers at wally world for $83.00. Get something like that and an empty stereo box that mounts to the roof and you would be all set for less than $200.00! The stereo box with speakers that are sold as a kit stink. Buy your components seperately.
Stevec3201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 11:52 AM   #5
Down South
Growing In Grace

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevegrmich View Post
Sounds like the voltage reducer I put in my cart . . . yellow trigger wire, green wire for 12v positive to accessories, black for pack/accessory negative and red to pack positive . . and it sounds like you avoided some of the problems others had run into with their Precedents by not tapping into the factory harness . . . glad to hear it worked out well for you!! . . . .
Yes, it is the same converter that you used Steve.

All of the wiring is independent of the factory wiring harness except for the blue feed wire going to the lights.

My digital voltage meter still reads correctly that is mounted in the dash. I know this was a problem for some who ran the converter into the factory wiring harness.
My lights turn off with the key switch even if the light switch is on which is good. And of course the lighter does not work unless the key switch is in the on position.
Old 12-08-2011, 12:01 PM   #6
erict
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
I wonder why they have you connect the output ground this way
erict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 02:05 PM   #7
Down South
Growing In Grace

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by erict View Post
I wonder why they have you connect the output ground this way
These carts don't have a frame ground like an automobile does. If that was the case you could just hook the output ground of the converter to the Neg battery terminal then ground all the aux devices to the frame. What I did with the terminal strip was make a common ground to go back to.
Old 12-08-2011, 02:13 PM   #8
erict
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
These carts don't have a frame ground like an automobile does. If that was the case you could just hook the output ground of the converter to the Neg battery terminal then ground all the aux devices to the frame. What I did with the terminal strip was make a common ground to go back to.
I guess I'm missing why the output ground has to go back to a battery ground and not just straight to the neg terminal strip?

Other converters I have seen connect the output ground straight to the accessory or fuse block.
erict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 03:37 PM   #9
Down South
Growing In Grace

Club Car

Quote:
I guess I'm missing why the output ground has to go back to a battery ground and not just straight to the neg terminal strip?

Other converters I have seen connect the output ground straight to the accessory or fuse block.
You got me to thinking, you may be correct. I did not check to see if this was possible by testing with my meter. I simply followed instructions provided by the vendor.

check the link if it works. The instructions are at the bottom.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/190530622956...84.m1423.l2649
Old 12-08-2011, 03:38 PM   #10
Stevec3201
haveacupofshutthe****up

Club Car

Quote:

Ya, it sounds odd? My positive output goes straight to a fuse block, my negative output goes to a terminal strip, but not back to the #1 battery's neg via a spice.

Perhaps his converter somehow loses ground when it's off, on or both?
Stevec3201 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
converter
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car