lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-20-2013, 08:00 AM   #1
arsenalgtg
Getting Wild

Default 91 Marathon Throttle/governor questions

Please please can someone help me with how and what to adjust on my marathon to make it a bit faster.

From a standstill, it accelerates rapidly but then just sort of fizzles out to a constant. I want a bit more uuuumph!!!

Im a bit of a novice, so please go easy with me!
arsenalgtg is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-20-2013, 08:13 PM   #2
redcloud
Gone Wild

Default Re: 91 Marathon Throttle/governor questions

Also have 91 marathon.
First take seat off and with key off. Take foot and slowly press peddle down all the way as you watch the throttle on the carb. When you get peddle to floor move throttle lever at carb to wide open and see if you still have more travel that did not come with the floored peddle. Also note that it needs to be closing completely when no peddle.
First adjustment would be the limit switch peddle travel to click.
See the box right down behind the key area and choke inside under the seat. Take nut off and lift cover to see limit switch and adjustable nuts to move contact point of peddle. With key on, measure how far the peddle has to go down to hear the click ( limit switch engaged) you should have about 1/2" travel to get it.
Key off, go to the setting of the govenor. Turn thumb nut in to tighen up spring a good amount. Now check the linkage that goes to the carb. Playing with the peddle to see that the throttle plate does not open untill the click is heard. Throttle plate must close all the way with peddle up and open all the way with peddle to the metal. Time and playing will get it.
After all that is done, recheck that you have the proper setting for the oil pump linkage. Should show 1/16" left before close at peddle up. You will see the marks. Check your manual for this. If you do not have a manual do a google search= ezgo marathon free manual pdf and you will find one to keep on your PC or print out and it will fill 3, 3 ringed binders.
Just did all this to mine two days ago.
Also found on my cart that the return spring at the throttle lever on top of carb was not pulling the throttle closed. I removed the lever and spring. Twisted the spring to return the pressure of age and re-installed. now works great. If carb does not close all the way, you can get back fires or puffs as fuel is sucked in to engine when limit switch is off and no spark to fire untill you just hit the peddle and boom gas already there for firing. Hard on seals.
Of course if your throttle is not opening all the way, you have slow speeds and low uphill power.
Jeepers, this is about a 3 ringed response..sorry
redcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:43 AM   #3
arsenalgtg
Getting Wild

Smile Re: 91 Marathon Throttle/governor questions

HI, thanks thats a great write up, very helpful.

Ill be doing all this later this evening and will let you know how I get on.

In between fitting a new custom txt front and custom dash as well as customising the body, waiting for lift kit and alloys etc! its turning out to be a fun project! Although parts are extremely hard to get in the UK. The engine thing is bugging me as when I do get to take it out for a blast (really to get rid of all the filler dust from rubbing down) its just lacking that extra 'go' that I want.

I think i may end up ordering the upgraded fast gears from the US.

thanks again for your post, really helpful.
Old 08-21-2013, 01:14 PM   #4
dan161
Getting Wild

If its lacking take off speed and up hill power you may also be looking at worn out clutches or the springs inside the clutches could be getting weak. There are several threads on here that talk about the clutches, springs, and belts or shorter belts to help increase speed and power. I have a 90 marathon and after replacing the belt and shimming up the driven spring about 1/4 inch it has made a big difference in my power. Not to make you nervous, but I have been trying to find that sweet spot with my cart for 3 months now where the carb can open all the way, and yet close all the way when letting off. It can be a tricky adjustment I'm finding.
dan161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:35 PM   #5
redcloud
Gone Wild

Yes, if you still have a hill problem for climbing the next thing will be clutch thoughts. I had to install a new drive clutch as mine actualy had holes in it. The driven clutch is warn some but the OEM spring was way to soft so I installed a high tourq spring kit and new buttons. Way better for low end take offs and going up hills.
Finding the sweet spot for carb is a chore, I found that spraying a good dry type lub on moiving parts was also a good way to keep things moving without any drag. The real fix for me was tightening the small spring on the throttle lever. Tried adding springs to get the same feature but this system is so sensitive to springs that I just did the small spring as discribed.
Old 08-22-2013, 04:16 AM   #6
arsenalgtg
Getting Wild

Thanks for the posts.

Its not lacking take off speed, that is something im pretty happy with. But once it hits a level it just fizzles, when it obviously feels like there is still more left in it!

'redcloud' by throttle lever, do you mean on the pedal, or do you mean the governor spring?

I have read about people saying tighten the governor spring, but not entirely sure how to do that. As Ive said I'm a complete novice who is trying to 'wing it' as I go along.

Big smiley face this morning though when Mr APC delivery man turned up with my new 12 x 6 Chrome minilite alloys for the buggy. Just got to find some turf tyres now as they are near on impossible to find in the UK for reasonable prices.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:03 PM   #7
redcloud
Gone Wild

On top of the carb itself the linkage that actualy turns the throttle plate in the carb. There is a spring you can see just under it. That is the spring I twisted back to make it stiffer again and re-installed.
The govenor spring is at the point end of the peddle cable that goes to the top of the rear end and is what makes the linkage all work. You will see a spring that is wrapped around the bar the cable hooks to. Usualy there is a thumb nut that can be tightened to make it harder for the govenore gear that is inside the rear end to over power the throttle cable and reduce speed by backing it off or closing up the throttle plate in the carb.
go to this link on this forum for a pic showing all.
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-e...on+govenor+pic
Old 08-23-2013, 05:14 AM   #8
arsenalgtg
Getting Wild

Thanks redcloud, thats very well explained and thanks for the link. Ill have a play around with the things you described and see how I get on. I'll let you know.
Old 08-23-2013, 12:00 PM   #9
arsenalgtg
Getting Wild

Just managed to adjust the governor spring and tightened it to about 3/4 inch gap between the end of the spring and the bracket edge. I also tightened the the small spring on top of the carb as you said.

Just took it out for a spin around the industrial estate and Ive noticed a big top end gain without over revving the engine which is good. It still has low end torque also.

Thanks for your help in particular 'Redcloud' its much appreciated.

Ive now got fibreglass everywhere making up a custom dash with lots of different other parts. Oh what fun!!
Old 08-23-2013, 08:06 PM   #10
redcloud
Gone Wild

Good goin. These things are fun to play with and a lot easeir than a big truck, tractor or car. You can spend as much money on parts for them however as a truck. Tires and wheels and you are darn near buying truck tires. I am on my customized cart ever day feeding horses and just running around the place. I never sit in my swing anymore as I just drive the cart out to the garden and sit in it to watch the garden grow....ya I am getting older...
Have fun
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO