lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Tomberlin

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-24-2016, 08:18 PM   #1
dawgboy47
Not Yet Wild

Default please help with purchase decision

Hi, I have opportunity to purchase (2010 Tomberlin Emerge 500 48SS 220 miles ($5000). It has new batteries and in mint condition.

My big question is what is going on with the Tomberlin/company that purchased them? *and would I be better off with another golf cart company?

any/all thoughts are appreciated!

Ron
dawgboy47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-24-2016, 09:14 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: please help with purchase decision

The common advice you will find among the 100,000 or so users here is this: Buy a cart made by one of the 3 major makers. Club Car, Ezgo, or Yamaha.
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 09:18 PM   #3
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Tomberlin is back in business? It must be Wednesday.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 09:24 PM   #4
dawgboy47
Not Yet Wild

thanks Scottyb!

It's like I really like the looks and idea behind the Tomberlin, but I cant find many parts, accessories, etc. The only thing I found comforting was this forum section.
dawgboy47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 09:47 AM   #5
Tech Support
How Can I Help?

Tomberlin was purchased last year by Columbia ParCar, who has been around quite a while. The Tomberlin line is being assembled now in FL, at the Leesburg office. They can also answer any questions related to parts availability for the earlier models.
Tech Support is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 10:09 AM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I would stick with the big 3 - But I don't own a Fiat either
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 11:36 AM   #7
ronc54
Not Yet Wild

I had similar concerns to yours in November when I purchased a 2010 Emerge 500 (not SS) with a rear facing back seat installed. Only 300 miles and in great mechanical shape but not mint like the one you describe. It has a few scratches and abrasions, nothing serious but appeared to have been through the woods a few times. It also had new batteries and I paid $3200.

I did some research and found that many of the parts are somewhat generic and can be found on ebay for now. As an example the front brake pads are the same as several common ATVs. I also have a buddy in Florida where Tomberlins are more common and for he said parts are not a problem there at this time. He has about 7000 miles and recently had to replace the differential for about $700.

We use it for our neighborhood to get to the marina and restaurant so won't get a lot of miles on it quickly.

We have loved it so far for the money. It runs and drives great and feels very safe at 25 mph (on flat ground) with the four wheel brakes and suspension. Recently had four people on it and it still held a steady 13 mph up a pretty steep hill. I may stock up on some common wear parts (brake pads, etc) in case there is a problem down the road.

I think $5K is a little steep as it is an "orphaned" vehicle depending on how Par Cart handles parts availability for older ones. Also these qualified for a tax rebate of up to $4500 in 2010 so if the seller bought it then he may not have much invested in it. I think they were about $7K new back then.
ronc54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Tomberlin