lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Star and Fairplay

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-31-2019, 10:53 PM   #1
zonecarter
Not Yet Wild

Default Gifted Zone cart damaged while towing

Hi all, newbie here looking for some guidance before I reach out to some local cart repair shops. I pretty much inherited this 6 passenger Chinese cart (not sure of the year but it actually looks great--probably 2010) after a buddy regretfully attempted to tow it in himself for a minor repair. He wasn't aware of the tow/run switch and so a small fire began in the back of the cart/motor area.

I'm assuming the motor is shot, but I'm hopeful I can still get this thing up and running for relatively cheap seeing as how everything else looks great. Batteries are less than 1.5 years old (radio and all lights work perfectly). Controller (Curtis 1268-5403) appears to be fine but I have no clue. The motor's label says D-C Motor, model XQ-3.8, 48v. I know the cart had a solenoid replaced less than two months ago, but other than that everything is a mystery.

I'm attaching some pictures of the damage where hopefully someone may be able to tell what actually caught fire and if it's worth having the motor rebuilt, or just any advice on where to go from here. I've read through every post about Zone carts and realize they're not at all desirable, but I'm hopeful to get it running and then maybe even looking into trading it for a 4 passenger gas cart or something more reliable. Thanks, and I appreciate any and all input!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7532.jpg (164.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7512.jpg (194.0 KB, 0 views)
zonecarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-01-2019, 08:57 AM   #2
BBBHC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Gifted Zone cart damaged while towing

Well I can't really help, not an electrical guru... Maybe my posting on this will bump your thread back to more recent and one of the gurus will be able to help. If nothing else.

Was the solenoid replaced after the incident? I'm assuming if that is the case it did not run?

You will definitely want to replace the wires to the motor, at the very least.

I think, might be wrong, there are some threads on here on how to test controllers and solenoids, etc...

Good luck, hope this starts to get you some help...
BBBHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 10:19 AM   #3
zonecarter
Not Yet Wild

According to the one sales receipt from the service center left in the cart from December, "solenoid post is heated up and froze contact. Was able to make cart run but will need to replace solenoid." Solenoid was removed and replaced, and the cart worked fine up until two weeks ago. Cart was fully functional, yet his batteries died on the way home so his neighbor tried to help him tow it back, and this is the unfortunate aftermath lol.

I appreciate the bump and will definitely look into testing the controller and solenoid. If there's any additional pics or info i can provide just say the word.
Old 02-01-2019, 10:56 AM   #4
BBBHC
Gone Wild

Club Car

When it comes to pictures. The more the merrier, as they say.
Pictures of any and all electrical components would be good. Since the number of these kinds of carts out there is very limited compared to other carts.
BBBHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 03:11 PM   #5
zonecarter
Not Yet Wild

Ok here are a couple more pictures. The older (I'm assuming) solenoid was just lying next to the controller under the seat, so I included that picture so as to help identify what else might work with this cart. Also tried to get a better pic of the motor and where the flame(s) burnt through the back cover. The final pic is of the controller without the cover (and tow/run switch). I'll continue with the research, thanks again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7531.jpg (124.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7539.jpg (196.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7541.jpg (8.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-14-2019, 01:03 AM   #6
giuseppe1110
Not Yet Wild
Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonecarter View Post
Ok here are a couple more pictures. The older (I'm assuming) solenoid was just lying next to the controller under the seat, so I included that picture so as to help identify what else might work with this cart. Also tried to get a better pic of the motor and where the flame(s) burnt through the back cover. The final pic is of the controller without the cover (and tow/run switch). I'll continue with the research, thanks again.
check this picture for the motor
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20100919591.jpg (118.2 KB, 0 views)
giuseppe1110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 12:06 PM   #7
zonecarter
Not Yet Wild

That definitely gives a better angle of the connections and whatnot. Leaning towards rolling the dice on this model from ebay and just hoping the controller is fine

https://www.ebay.com/itm/48-volt-48v...frcectupt=true
Old 02-16-2019, 03:04 PM   #8
Brob1969
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Did you do a hardwire on the existing motor to determine it was shot?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
Brob1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 02:55 PM   #9
zonecarter
Not Yet Wild

Ok so I wasn't exactly sure how to test the motor but did some digging and pretty much just followed this guys setup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXM3oIJEnWk

Got some sparks, but no real action to the wheels. I just found my old voltmeter so I'll run some other tests and see what I can find.
Old 02-17-2019, 07:25 PM   #10
zonecarter
Not Yet Wild

Just finished tinkering around some more, and while I have the cart on jack stands I decided to switch it back to RUN mode and check if the solenoid clicks on acceleration. Indeed it does, and it makes a second click shortly after letting off the gas. Does this eliminate the need to test the solenoid and/or controller at all?

At this point I might just attempt to yank out the motor to hopefully verify that it's toast. I'd love to put any other motor in there if I knew it would fit/work, but that seems beyond my reach.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Star and Fairplay