lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-07-2010, 02:38 PM   #1
Spunky1
Not Yet Wild

Default Questions about carts

I am looking at a couple carts and have questions for the Yamaha'ers or others on the board. I am new to this topic so forgive my lack of cart smarts.

I am trying to decide between two carts, a 2001 G16 and a 2007 G22. I can trade for the G16 for $500 difference or the G22 for $1,000 difference. The G16 will have new 6-8v batteries installed. The G22 will have original 6-8v batteries.

What are the big differences between the G16 and G22, besides six years? Both are similar in condition.

I don't need a lot of speed but have seen threads of people asking for help with slow carts, less than 12 mph. I need climbing torque over speed. Is this a problem with either of these two carts?

If they don't have factory lights can off-road halogens or other be added? Is there room in the battery tray with 6-8v's for a 12v accessory battery?

I am adding a rear seat option. Will I have to upgrade springs or suspension?

Sorry for the barrage of questions. I have been searching the threads for weeks now. If I look harder I may find answers to some of my questions.
Spunky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-07-2010, 04:29 PM   #2
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Default Re: Questions about carts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunky1 View Post
I am looking at a couple carts and have questions for the Yamaha'ers or others on the board. I am new to this topic so forgive my lack of cart smarts.
I like questions.
I am trying to decide between two carts, a 2001 G16 and a 2007 G22. I can trade for the G16 for $500 difference or the G22 for $1,000 difference. The G16 will have new 6-8v batteries installed. The G22 will have original 6-8v batteries. Are shure the G16 isn't really a G19? (G16-e's where 36 volt) I like the G19's,because they had a higher amp rating on the controller. I like G22-e's because of "rack and pinion steering, but smaller amp rating on the controller.

What are the big differences between the G16 and G22, besides six years? Both are similar in condition. See above

I don't need a lot of speed but have seen threads of people asking for help with slow carts, less than 12 mph. I need climbing torque over speed. Is this a problem with either of these two carts?

If they don't have factory lights can off-road halogens or other be added? Is there room in the battery tray with 6-8v's for a 12v accessory battery? As long as you use a voltage reducer (best-48 volt to 12 volt or 16 volt to 12 volt) no need for an extra battery.

I am adding a rear seat option. Will I have to upgrade springs or suspension? Jakes makes "HD" replacement coil springs that work great with a rear facing seat set up.

Sorry for the barrage of questions. I have been searching the threads for weeks now. If I look harder I may find answers to some of my questions.
Weeks......many of use take years to find the awnsers we want for our ultimate build Just ask me, I have an on going one now. Good luck, and welcome to the "nut house"!
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 06:15 PM   #3
Spunky1
Not Yet Wild

Is there a big difference between G16 and G22?
Old 03-07-2010, 06:18 PM   #4
Spunky1
Not Yet Wild

BTW thanx Smallblock for the reply.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:31 PM   #5
Spunky1
Not Yet Wild

My bad Smallblock. You were correct one of the carts is a G19. The dealer said I would like the G22 better because of upgraded brakes and rack and pinion steering. Might go ahead and pull the trigger on the G22. Other than what they told me about steering and brakes I didn't know what big differences there were. I didn't want to miss anything like the G19 has a different motor or anything.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:22 PM   #6
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunky1 View Post
My bad Smallblock. You were correct one of the carts is a G19. The dealer said I would like the G22 better because of upgraded brakes and rack and pinion steering. Might go ahead and pull the trigger on the G22. Other than what they told me about steering and brakes I didn't know what big differences there were. I didn't want to miss anything like the G19 has a different motor or anything.
Yes the G22 has rack and pinion steering, Better brakes?, they both have the same Dana rearend and Bendix brakes. Drive both and see witch one you like better. For "torque" in an electric car with a rear facing seat.....(I know this is the elctric section), I would stay with a gas car. I'm trying to be honest. What ever you do, have fun and enjoy your car. Dave
Old 03-08-2010, 08:34 PM   #7
Spunky1
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Dave. You guys on here know your stuff. I understand a gas cart may get me more performance but I'm after the quiet factor. I hunt a lot and need something to get to the back forty on my farm without advertising to every turkey and deer on my place "here comes that guy again to try and stick an arrow in us." I still have the tractor and two other ATV's for the heavy lifting. I borrowed a G1 from my neighbor last year and got around just fine. My boys got it stuck but tried to cross the creek, something I won't do.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:37 PM   #8
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

I totally understand. Please let us know what you decide to do, it may help the next member. Thanks for sharing. Dave
Old 03-08-2010, 08:41 PM   #9
Spunky1
Not Yet Wild

I might not try to cross the creek until i get a winch. then I'm going for it. awesome looking cart Dave.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:28 PM   #10
Simolo Customs
Not Yet Wild

Hey Spunky

I have 4 2005 G22 E and they are great carts, they have a fair bit of torque, I would suggest going with the G22 E. You can get an upgarded torque motor and controller if you really want to get some decent performance.

As far as putting on lights, I would suggest getting a 24 volt- 12 volt converter and picking the power up off of your first 3 batteries. I you wanted to add a 12 volt battery you could hide it under the rear facing seat.

I have found the frames to be built very well on the G22`s and having the coil over suspension is great as well, makes for a simple lift.

We are just about done working on our second cart with a small 3 inch lift that we have designed to give us room for our 14" low profile tires. Then we are on to our third cart which we are building for a local hunting customer with 8" lift a high torque motor with 26" rubber.

And finally we are building a 72volt cart on our yamaha that will be stretched and lifted.

Sorry to ramble, what I am saying is spend the extra and get the G22.

Thannks
Simolo Customs is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha