lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-15-2012, 09:27 PM   #1
nchoma
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default controller vs motor advise

I am still very new to the golf cart game but am looking for a bit more speed and was hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I do not want to drop too much money right now so I can probably do one or the other. Should I upgrade the controller or motor, both are stock. My initial thoughts without knowing anything is that a new motor would be great but with the stock controller it might not take the motor to the fullest potential, but how much would a new controller affect the cart with the stock motor?

Please help.

Thanks
nchoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-16-2012, 03:25 AM   #2
eddogg
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: controller vs motor advise

okay this might take a minute but I have all your answers...

You don't need to upgrade your controller, in fact messing with it if you don't know what you are doing isn't the best idea, you could blow that thing up and then you are left with a phatty bill. It is a common misconception that upgrading a controller will boost your speed, every single controller that yamaha puts in a golf cart is assigned a particular code unique to the controller and cart. If its never been set by Yamaha then your mph is already limitless it it has been set then you need to see If you have a dealer or shop close to you call them and find out if they have the hardware/software to re-program your maximum speed to whatever they can legally let it out the door at, or it helps to know the guy or be a smooth talker because there are liabilty issues for non insured aka non street legal cart and the maximum mph allowed... (varies by state) If you don't have a place close buy you might need to send it off to someone to be reprogrammed. I'm not sure of the cost, we would typically charge someone an hr labor or around 40 bucks... so you could stand to save a good deal and still do both which leads us to this set of questions and answers...
What kind of motor is in your cart now? Do you have High Speed Gears? What kind of battery setup do you have? ( 4-12v, 6-8v, or 8-6v ) and how old are they?

If your motor is in decent shape , and your controller isn't set I would nix the thought of buying a new one and invest in gears... we had a cart in the shop the other day that had a stock motor, the controller speed was not set ( meaning there is unlimited max mph ) and it had high speed gears in it, man it would absolutely fly!!! This thing was humming at 45 mph just around the parking lot and that's not BS... so you see less can be more

Now depending on your motor type, if you are looking for more torque there are a few options in replacement, but Electric carts are pretty darn torquey.

hope this helped

What kind of motor do you have
eddogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:45 PM   #3
nchoma
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thanks - That is a lot of helpful information - I dont think it has high spped gears, i think the guy I bought it from would have mentioned it, the motor and controller are stock. 6 8v batteries.
Old 02-17-2012, 12:00 AM   #4
eddogg
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Buy gears...
eddogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:33 PM   #5
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

What model Yamaha do you have? That would really help in determining if "reprograming" is an option and what options will work for your car. How fast do you want to go?
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 08:39 AM   #6
nchoma
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

It is a G19 - thanks everyone!
Old 02-18-2012, 10:28 AM   #7
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

G19's had a pretty stout GE controller. I've installed alot of high speed motors in them and got about 23 mph. I do beleive you'll loose some torque though. Good luck
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:00 PM   #8
VC-Racing
Getting Wild

Yamaha

I have a G22. I did the Plowmans 2 speed Controller and saw a reasonable increase in speed. See my specs below. If you search there is a extensive thread on this subject.
VC-Racing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
controller, g19, motor
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha