lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-16-2012, 07:47 PM   #11
pbcruiser
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Need help with diagnostics...PLEASE HELP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallblock450sl View Post
You did the motor test and wouldn't run. You check all the safegards and checked ok. 72 volts to a 36 volt solenoid/controller is bad news, the motor may have been able to handle it, but not the other components. I would bench test the solenoid/ pull the motor out and look for burning/"that smell"/ and copper soldier damage (if it's black..."smoked")/ pull the controller and if you shake it and hear a sound like marbles inside, time for a rebuild.
When I did the motor test above the motor turned on but the connections sparked so I pulled the wires off right away.

Is there a way to check the solenoid and controller without pulling them out?

Also, the cart went around the block fast as hell at 72 volts (lol)most exciting ride I ever had in that thing. But we stopped and I gassed it and it just went dead. Heard a pop noise.

Thanks again guys
pbcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-16-2012, 07:48 PM   #12
pbcruiser
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallblock450sl View Post
You did the motor test and wouldn't run. You check all the safegards and checked ok. 72 volts to a 36 volt solenoid/controller is bad news, the motor may have been able to handle it, but not the other components. I would bench test the solenoid/ pull the motor out and look for burning/"that smell"/ and copper soldier damage (if it's black..."smoked")/ pull the controller and if you shake it and hear a sound like marbles inside, time for a rebuild.
Oh and dumb question...how do I bench test the solenoid?
Old 08-16-2012, 07:54 PM   #13
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbcruiser View Post
When I did the motor test above the motor turned on but the connections sparked so I pulled the wires off right away.

Is there a way to check the solenoid and controller without pulling them out?

Also, the cart went around the block fast as hell at 72 volts (lol)most exciting ride I ever had in that thing. But we stopped and I gassed it and it just went dead. Heard a pop noise.

Thanks again guys
I bet it was There's about 5 pages of tests in the manual. Solenoid bench test (meter on continuity on the 2 big posts, aplpy 36 volts to the 2 small terminals, you should here it "click" and have continuity thru the 2 large posts of the solenoid. If you heard a "pop", 90+ shure controller is toast. Sorry
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:17 PM   #14
pbcruiser
Not Yet Wild

Okay so some progress here...so when I put the key in and push down the gas peddle the solenoid makes a tick noise...on and off with the movement of the gas peddle and shacking it doesn't sound like marbles.

So I guess logic would dictate its the controller then right?

Sorry smallblock didn't read your post first...
Old 08-16-2012, 08:17 PM   #15
pbcruiser
Not Yet Wild

So now that I know it's the controller whats my best option - should I upgrade and where do you guys recommend that has the best prices?
Old 08-16-2012, 08:20 PM   #16
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Oh yeah, now you tell us you heard a POP! That was your controller disintegrating.

What controller you get depends upon what the voltage plan is now? 36 or 72?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:31 PM   #17
pbcruiser
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Oh yeah, now you tell us you heard a POP! That was your controller disintegrating.

What controller you get depends upon what the voltage plan is now? 36 or 72?
Okay so this is complicated...now speaking with the old owner (which was an engineer for the navy) he had this thing wired way different.

So the cart has a solar roof (never run out of juice) so he had (3) 12 volt batteries ran on one bank and (3) 12 volt batteries ran on a second bank. Each bank had a circuit breaker controlling the solar roof.

So my question is can I go 72 volts with the stock motor by upgrading the solenoid and controller?

I currently have (6) 12 volt batteries...and while the solar roof is cool I think I'll simply hook that up to the acc battery so I never lose juice in that.

I'll upload some pics of the cart...the solar roof is a pretty genius idea!
Old 08-16-2012, 08:40 PM   #18
pbcruiser
Not Yet Wild

Old 08-17-2012, 10:53 PM   #19
lefamonster
Not Yet Wild

Awesome! I am planing to hook up a solar panel to mine, and would love to see more pics of the wiring. As far as how to help I am thinking maybe a 72-volt controller is the options.
lefamonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 12:17 AM   #20
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

These are deep cycle batteries, Army surplus or something close to that. I didn't realize that when we spoke earlier. This guy had a plan, it may work? Why did the cart end up in repair? Slow speed, was that it? It was running on 36v with a lot of extra load.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha