lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-08-2012, 07:12 PM   #1
edjackie88
Not Yet Wild
Cushman

Default yamaha 36v goes full throttle

Cart only goes full throttle. Resistor coil measures less than two ohms end to end. It doesnt get hot. trying to fix it for owner. I disconnected the speed selector and disconnected the resistor coil wires except for the wire from the motor and the f/r switch. It ramps up to full throttle and the coil makes no heat. The resistor coil unit has some rust on part of it. I removed it from the board because it was rusty but the resistance is still low. Does anyone know how much resistance it should have. The part is spendy. I have it on jack stands with the tires in the air. Yamaha cart, 92 I think, 36v, resistor coil unit is one piece with taps. Can the resistor coil be bad and have too low resistance? I would like to save the owner some money and not buy a part I dont need.

(update) I lowered it to floor, closed the contactor with a jumper hot wire, and held the brake to keep the cart from moving. It didnt pull hard against the brake so maybe it is ok. The resistor coils got warm. I will try to test drive it and see if the speed selector switch works when it is on the ground. I need to trouble shoot the on off switch. I hope the throttle is wired to enable the contactor when I get it figured out. Maybe my resistor coil is ok and the cart just spools up when the wheels are off the ground. It only creeps forward when on the ground.
edjackie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-11-2012, 12:32 PM   #2
edjackie88
Not Yet Wild
Cushman

Default Re: yamaha 36v goes full throttle

I located the open circuit in the throttle micro switch wiring and now the cart engages the contactor when you push the throttle. I have everything locked down but the board for the resistor coil is pretty broken up. I need to replace it. Does anyone know where you can get a predrilled one? It drills like the stuff you put under ceramic tile. Would a piece of the concrete board work? I could drill the holes. I plugged in the charger and it buzzes but doesnt put out any voltage. The amp meter doesnt move. Any ideas what may be wrong with it?
Old 12-11-2012, 06:55 PM   #3
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

the board for resistor coils should be layered fiberglass, or bakelite. it Must be very heat resistant. the charger sounds like it may have a bad diode, if you follow the positive wire from the cart plug into the charger, the 2 diodes will likely be the first part you run into. they can be tested with most any electrical multimeter, use the lowest ohm setting or the diode setting represented by a symbol that looks like -|>-. test both directions, it should show a low reading one direction but no reading at all the other direction. both diodes should show similar readings, if a bad diode is found, the fuse will need replaced too. if you have no idea what a diode might look like, check your charger brand, and go to the internets, type "(your charger brand here) diode" or "(brand) rectifier" to see a picture.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:45 AM   #4
edjackie88
Not Yet Wild
Cushman

Thanks for the ideas. I opened up the charger. It hums and makes 42 volts between the transformer side of the ammeter and the output of the diodes. The diodes passed the one way continuity test. It feels like the ammeter is causing an open circuit. I may disconnect it and jump around it to test my theory.I found a new ammeter on a website.

I got the cart driving today and seemed to drive like it should. The throttle micro switch wire was disconnected. Had to weld a little on the box that holds the resistor pack. The guard that protects the batteries from heat was loose and the bolts holding it were rusted and broke.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:36 AM   #5
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

You really should fix that microswitch, make it work. especially on a resistor car, that is really dangerous!! dont hurt yourself test driving it into your neighbors livingroom. you could jumper bypass around that ammeter for Temporary charger testing.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:18 AM   #6
edjackie88
Not Yet Wild
Cushman

I did reconnect the throttle microswitch as it had been disconnected probably when loading or unloading on a trailer. I agree it is a major safety feature. I will try the bypass around the ammeter tonight and report back.

It looks like the ammeter uses a shunt. I wonder if the shunt is the problem? Maybe if I take it out and clean up the connections, it may work. If the charger works with the bypass jumper and cleaning doesnt help, I will get a new ammeter. I really appreciate the help.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:59 AM   #7
edjackie88
Not Yet Wild
Cushman

I disconnected the lead on one terminal of the ammeter and connected a jumper eliminating the ammeter. Connected the plug to the cart and the wall outlet. The charger turned on and started charging. I let it charge for a while to test it but my jumper wire started getting too warm. I ordered a new ammeter for a about $40.00 including shipping.

I appreciate the good ideas and help. Ed
Old 12-17-2012, 12:46 PM   #8
edjackie88
Not Yet Wild
Cushman

I removed the ammeter while waiting for the new part to come. I hooked up the ammeter wire using a small bolt and connected the charger to the cart. I turned the timer to 1 hour and turned it on. I measured a 42 vdc charging voltage at the pack. I let it run for an hour and it turned off. so far so good. Nothing got too hot.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha