lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Melex

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-10-2014, 10:20 PM   #1
Acguy1999
Not Yet Wild

Default Melex Battery Charger

Hi all-
New cart owner here. I just picked up an old Melex cart that was converted to 3-12v batteries. The cart didn't come with a charger so I'm working on trying to locate one but im not sure what to look for.

I see chargers out there 36v - 5 amp with a crows foot but I have also read posts that these charges aren't the correct ones and that I should look for a 18-20 amp? Which one is the correct one to get?

Thanks for any help you guys can provide.
Acguy1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-11-2014, 07:21 AM   #2
Epb
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Melex Battery Charger

I would look for 36v 17-25amp chargers and consider getting one that you leave plugged in and it cycles float to full on its own. Aka "smart".

You may not like the 3 12s run time and consider 6 6s in the future.

Checkout vintage golf cart parts for the hard to find parts.
Epb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 08:41 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Melex Battery Charger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acguy1999 View Post
Hi all-
New cart owner here. I just picked up an old Melex cart that was converted to 3-12v batteries. The cart didn't come with a charger so I'm working on trying to locate one but im not sure what to look for.

I see chargers out there 36v - 5 amp with a crows foot but I have also read posts that these charges aren't the correct ones and that I should look for a 18-20 amp? Which one is the correct one to get?

Thanks for any help you guys can provide.

3/12s is only going to work if they are golf cart batteries. If they are car starting or deep cycle batteries the golf cart use is going to knock the snot out of them and they will not last long with this abuse.
The cart is designed for 6/6v 220 amp batteries. The proper charger put outs 20-25 amps max and has 3 stage charging. You may find one by putting a wanted ad up.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Melex