lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-02-2017, 11:24 PM   #1
benphillips
Not Yet Wild

Default 2 different ways to wire Points to HEI??

I've come across 2 different ways that claim to convert points to hei.

Way #1 Uses a zener diode and grounds terminal W.
hei1.JPG

Way #2 Uses a transistor and has 12V+ going to the W terminal.
hei2.JPG

I think I understand how the 2nd method works. But can't understand how the 1st method works.

Just curious how the 1st method works, if it does.

Thanks for the help.
benphillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-04-2017, 06:30 PM   #2
my1423
Gone Wild

Default Re: 2 different ways to wire Points to HEI??

Back in the early 80s you could buy an early electronic booster box that gave you long point life by taking the load off the points. They were too spendy for us so we built our own.

There are lots of ways of using pionts.

Zeners I never used them personally because we did not have the zeners easily available. I have been told they make excellent voltage regulators ect just dont really know anything about them.

Transistors ect were in almost any scrap radios ect.
The ones my friends and I built back in the day we added a diode then a voltage regulator before the resistor. This was to clean up the power supply to the transistor to keep from blowing the transistor when you rev way up and build too much voltage like the old magnetos did on battery less bikes.
Old mags also had a lot of noise ect that could cause issues.
I have read the zener circuit did all this just as well but just never built it. Hard to test with the tools we kids had.

A few more ways that can be used below.

http://www.geocities.ws/loudgpz/GPZheiModForPoints.html
my1423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 08:49 AM   #3
ParDeus
Not Yet Wild

If anyone has a chance today, I'm having a heck of a time getting the points to hei conversion to work... I did the standard method (fig.2 in this post) and for the life of me can't get the cart to run. It's a 1977 2pg, and the schematics for that year cart don't match what's in front of my eyes. I'll try to post some pics, and even my phone # if someone can help.

I'm doing this for a friend who is moving, and to not have it running when he loads it to move is a pretty crappy thought. Several world championships in racing, and a golf cart has me pulling my hair out!
ParDeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 10:38 PM   #4
benphillips
Not Yet Wild

I have wired a 86 harley golf cart up like figure 2 but I am waiting on the transistor I ordered to arrive. Once it arrives I hope it will run. Did you get your friends figured out?
Old 07-13-2017, 11:44 AM   #5
ParDeus
Not Yet Wild

Not yet unfortunately. The stock wiring is goofy and has been mangled pretty bad over the year, looks nothing like any of the factory diagrams. Wires were cut everywhere, yet it still ran!
Old 07-14-2017, 03:21 PM   #6
benphillips
Not Yet Wild

Well I've been waiting almost 2 weeks for the resistor to come in. I finally took a transistor out of a cfl bulb. I'm not sure if this is the right transistor or not. It looks similar. It's wired up just like the diagram. But I am only getting spark when I let off the gas pedal. Not sure what the problem could be.

This harley has been a nightmare. It keeps burning up points. And on this year there is no timing marks. I have to jack it up and make adjustments until I get it running ok. But doing this every couple of weeks is getting old.
Old 07-14-2017, 06:32 PM   #7
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

Here is a page full of ideas for ignition systems built on the idea of what your doing. Maybe you can find something that might help you.

http://gardentractorpullingtips.com/ignition.htm
Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 10:25 PM   #8
Govnah69
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

here is another diagram for version 1 i found.. ill be trying them soon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ezgo hei with points conversion 1.jpg (120.1 KB, 0 views)
Govnah69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 08:31 PM   #9
benphillips
Not Yet Wild

Good information!

I figured out what was wrong with the Harley. It's wired like fig 2. The diagram uses a 2N2222 transistor. I ordered them but still haven't received them. I cut open a CFL bulb and used a transistor off the circuit board, but the cart wouldn't run. The transistor out of the bulb is a 13003. The diagram calls for a 2N2222. Looking up the datasheet for each revealed that the prongs on the 13003 are swapped around in a different order compared to the 2N2222. After switching 2 of the wires around on the transistor, the Harley runs great!!

Thanks for all your help!
Old 07-19-2017, 06:52 AM   #10
ParDeus
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Govnah69 View Post
here is another diagram for version 1 i found.. ill be trying them soon
See, that diagram is completely different than the others, it grounds W, which makes a lot more sense to me. Did you try it?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO