lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-21-2008, 07:49 PM   #11
gaston
Gone Wild

Default Re: half to cross solenoid over and hold peddle to make move..whats wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtd91 View Post
Ok i will test it.The speed controler is a perfomance after market part.Atleast it says perfomance on it.It is an alltrax speedcontroler.But yea i will test my solenoid the way you said to and see if its good.
then with reason, disconnect everything before testing. and for sure you might have a diode across the small posts on solenoid. alltrax controllers are really good but they are quite sensible, you don't wanna fry it.

did you check for LED blink codes yet?

For sure you also have to have a FUSE. (is it probably connected to Neg post) check this also for continuity. If the fuse is bad, then you might want to check WHY the fuse is bad.

Is it likely with alltrax to fry solenoids, you better check their web site for a document telling the right solenoid to be used. If you don't have at least a white rodgers 586 silver contacts, then surely is the solenoid. If the solenoid does not have a diode across the small posts, probably the controller went bad, this is common on this controllers. If the solenoid went bad, this could also caused the main fuse burnt.

again the controller is totally dead? (there is a little LED which should turn blinking green or red if its a failure)
gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-21-2008, 08:25 PM   #12
rusty
Golf Cart Photographer

Club Car

Default Re: half to cross solenoid over and hold peddle to make move..whats wrong?

I can't help but say something here. I am not trying to correct anyone, but about the solenoid....... A solenoid can still click and be bad too. Guaranteed.

A solenoid is just a big heavy switch..... electro magnetic switch. It can energize but the contacts can be burned up.

You have a bad solenoid if you can Jumper the Big Posts on the solenoid, and press the pedal and it goes.
rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 11:40 PM   #13
gaston
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty View Post
I can't help but say something here. I am not trying to correct anyone, but about the solenoid....... A solenoid can still click and be bad too. Guaranteed.
True said.
More if is the stock solenoid, I've seen this happen, somebody puts a high performance controller without changing the solenoid, then the solenoid gets hot and eventually the fuse goes bad. Fix the fuse, solenoid clicks, cart moving for a while then burn out again the fuse. Solenoid loose the contact surface and is getting hot, so yes solenoid could still be bad EVEN if is clicking on. SOmetimes the loose all the contact, so no power at all is going through big posts.
If you have a white rodgers 586 (not the chinese imitation) on 36volts system, I doubt the solenoid is bad.
But if its 70120124 model (galvanized color, small, stock solenoid), is it likely the solenoid bad. Even if is clicking.

Thanks for correction rusty!
Old 04-22-2008, 05:19 AM   #14
garybanjoman
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

The solenoid could not be opening all the way and still click, i had this problem last weekend.I put a new one on and fixed the problem.
garybanjoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 08:49 AM   #15
mtd91
Not Yet Wild

Can i put any ol 36 volt ezgo solenoid on there?Or do i half to have a specific one?
mtd91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 09:40 AM   #16
gaston
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtd91 View Post
Can i put any ol 36 volt ezgo solenoid on there?Or do i half to have a specific one?
Are you sure now is the solenoid the problem?
Did you check for the LED blinking codes?
Which alltrax model do you have?
Did you find the fuse?
Did you check your solenoid?
Are you 100% sure your solenoid is bad?
Which solenoid you have there?

As you have a performance controller, you need a performance solenoid. If the the controller is 400amp or more:
You need a 36v white rodgers 586 type (you can actually find it at any of the advertisers here at the forum) or an Albright sw180. You'll find easier to find the white rodgers.
Don't forget to use the diode across the small posts & the resistor across the big posts (little black tube on that one or a 250ohm 10w resistor)
If the controller is 300amp you can still use sort of the stock solenoid.

these are the 2 documents from alltrax you should read:
http://alltraxinc.com/files/Doc120-0...ns-Learned.pdf
http://alltraxinc.com/files/Doc100-0...O-Wire-Dia.pdf

Regards
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO