lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-28-2008, 03:42 PM   #1
RaginEagle
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default DESULFATOR,Fact or Fiction?

Does anyone know if these work or is it a way to part me from my hard to get cash??
RaginEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-28-2008, 05:08 PM   #2
30-A rider
Getting Wild

Default Re: DESULFATOR,Fact or Fiction?

Im not experienced enough to say if they work or not but I can tell you what I did. I found a recipe to desulfate batteries and so called "Re Condition" them. What I did was with an automotive syringe I removed all the electrolyte I could from each battery, each cell till I could see the top of the plates exposed with no fluid over them. I boiled up distilled H20 and added regualr old epsom salts to the boiled water and stirred till disolved. The ratio is 1 qt water to 1 cup epsom salts. add the H20 salt mix to the battereis to the appropriate level. Instructions said to shake batteries around to mix them, then a full charge. Im not an exagerating but in my case I shook my whole cart back and forth a few times and went for a ride. Im telling you my 5 year old Torjan batteries and the use cart I had perfromed better than the day I bought it which was just 4-5 weeks ago. Anyway its been 3-4 weeks or so since I did it and it worked great for me. Im not saying its gonna give you a brand new battery nor that it will lat a year because I just dont know ...but for me, my expereince it has worked for me up to this point.
30-A rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 07:25 PM   #3
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Epson Salt....also called Magnesium Sulphate is used to dissolve the sulphides that form on the lead plates. I myself use the battery equaliser stuff from minn kota and can say that it does work. It's not a magic fix all cure but it does work on sulphated batteries. It will not fix a battery that has a damaged cell(s)

With the epson salt as well as any of the chemical desulphators you have to cycle the batteries before you will notice a difference.

The Minn Kota stuff and most of the others use Cadminum Sulphate. Do a search and you will find a few topics about the battery equaliser stuff...not sure about the electronic version.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 07:34 PM   #4
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Electronic desulfators achieve their results by sending short duration high voltage pulses to the plates. The theory is this breaks the sulfate off the plates and returns it to suspension in the electrolyte where it belongs, thus allowing the battery a longer service life.

Seems dangerous to me, but they sell them anyway....
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 09:27 PM   #5
RaginEagle
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks for the feedback :)
Old 04-29-2008, 08:44 AM   #6
30-A rider
Getting Wild

Just a little more info, and again Im a Noobie so take what I say witha grain of salt. I bought a new battery Charger from Home depot...Husky model for my boat and my muscle cars etc. This Charger is spectacular becase is has a high Amp starting feature and several setting to charge 6, 8, and 12 volt batteries. another feature is is has a desulfating cycle. I have not used it as I did the Epsom salt route. I say all of this because if yout gonna take a chance on buying a device to desulfate your batteries why not at least buy something you can use if the de sulfate thing doesnt cut it for you. the charger I speak if was only $60. and I love it!
30-A rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 11:04 AM   #7
RaginEagle
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

thanks I will do that
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO