lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-22-2007, 01:37 PM   #1
NO NO NO E-Z-GO!
Gone Wild

Default 2007 Yamaha Drive Review

I finally got a chance to "drive the Drive" today, and here are my findings.

**Please note, that when I do reviews, I put all personal preference aside, so you can rest assured that I rate things for what they are!**

When I pulled up, my first impression was, "Not a bad looking cart!" I looked it over pretty well from top to bottom before I drove it to analyze the fit and finish of it. Improved? YES! Best? No.

The Driving Experience
The engine is quite smooth, but has a very strange sound to it. The powertrain of the cart is sluggish at best. From a complete stop, when floored, the engine lugs off the line, revs up fairly high without accelerating, then lugs the rest of the way up to speed. There is absolutely no feeling of acceleration. For an 11.4hp engine, it should be better. The brakes are a different story. They are very quick and operate smoothly. When the parking brake is engaged, you can still move the cart somewhat like a vehicle in "Park." When changing gears, you MUST come to a complete stop or the transmission will grind horribly. Neutral is nearly nonexistent. The cart's ride is bottom-rung. The front end feels loose and the steering is slow to react. Even at 12mph, it gets somewhat squirrely. There is no body roll to the cart, it instead pushes the front wheels or kicks the rear end from side to side.

Inside the Cart
The first thing you notice when you enter the cart is the cupholders. The new center console is one that will have to be caught up to by the competition. Its placement is near perfect, and there are multiple sized cupholders, and even a cell phone holder. The seat looks comfortable, but it is very hard, and the back is poorly shaped. The steering wheel is too parallel to the ground, it feels somewhat like driving a semi. In turns, the best armrests in the business keep you secure. Quality is high in areas such as materials, but the build quality is lacking greatly. The floormat fits tightly and even overlaps in some areas, and in others there is a 1/2" gap. The composite floorboard surface is exposed behind the pedals. The front roof support boots against the body fit poorly, and form marks are evident on the rear drainage spouts. The roof is flimsy in the middle.

Data
Engine: Yamaha-built 357cc 11.4hp @ 3500 RPM gasoline engine.
Transaxle: TEAM unitized with built-in brakes
0-top speed: 7.16 seconds
Steering: double-ended rack and pinion
Suspension: front struts with cast steel lower control arms; rear coilover shocks with sway bar

Pictures

Electric Powertrain

Last edited by NO NO NO E-Z-GO!; 11-17-2007 at 06:24 PM.. Reason: Unnecessary comma :shock:
NO NO NO E-Z-GO! is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-22-2007, 04:17 PM   #2
Dero
Gone Wild

Default Re: 2007 Yamaha Drive Review

did you try the electric?
Dero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 04:36 PM   #3
NO NO NO E-Z-GO!
Gone Wild

No, I sort of got into a "squabble" with the guy that owns the place.

He got mad because I said "I wouldn't have that thing..." in front of a customer.

He told me (he lies, no joke, he's a big fat liar) that he'd give the electric Yamaha Drives the "Most Improved Cart" award because it is so much better than the G-Max sparkies were.
NO NO NO E-Z-GO! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 06:13 PM   #4
caddymankc
WILD

E-Z-GO

are they using 12 volt batteries in that cart? i thought 6 volts were used for higher amps
caddymankc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 07:35 PM   #5
roady89
nimda
Club Car

We have 5 brand new Drive electric yamaha carts at work. They use 12 volt batteries. There are several reasons for the swap to 12 volt batts.

1. Electric carts are more efficiant at higher voltage.
2. The carts weigh less....thus making it more efficiant.
3. The regen feature adds to efficiancy. Those carts will run farther before charging than a 36 volt cart.
4. Less cost....there are more reasons but these are the main ones.

I have been driving them for a few weeks and can say I am impressed at the speed and torque of the electric version. I like the 12 volt battery layout because of all the room it has. If the cart starts rolling for any reason a buzzer sounds alerting you its rolling. If your roll backwards and let off the throttle it automatically regen motor brakes to slow you down. The dash is nice but its not a feature we use. The rest of it gets a thumbs down. I dont like the way the rear body is shaped because it reminds me of a caroche. It also rides like a truck.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 11:03 AM   #6
georgetroy
Not Yet Wild

Thumbs up Re: 2007 Yamaha Drive Review

New here to the forum. I came across it in my search for golf cart information. Most of the techincal information is easy to fine. I know this forum is mainly for rebuilt or soup ups. Anyway, I went with a new 2008 Yamaha drive. I enjoyed reading the review by NO,NO, EZGO. I sold my electric 2000 EZGO, which was in fairly nice shape a year ago. Too bad it needed new batteries. Should have keep my Coleman. Here we are round two on the carts. Trying the gas, who knows, I live out in the country and may let the grandkids drive it.

I got a Gas Yamaha Drive 2008, Onyx color with Chrome wheel covers windshield and stripping. I find that the ride is firm, but the faster you go the smoothier it is. The steering is Fantastic compared to rentals and others. The drink holders are the best is the industry bar none ( I can reach them). Seats are firm and the arm rest helps hold you in. I do like the top and think it was much better than the EZGO I had. The power is fine and I have no trouble out running my fellow golfers. You want a jump start, just stand on the brake a little bit and shove the trottle to the floor. Any noise that the engine puts out is ok for me. I do watch my fellow golfers so that they don't here it when getting ready to hit. Great wire basket, one on them commented on that. In fact the other Senior golfers was all over the machine, checking it out. Fit and finish is very good in my book.

Very satisfied with it and would buy it again. GT
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Yamaha-Golf-Cart971.jpg (79.5 KB, 24 views)
georgetroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 11:13 AM   #7
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing the info. That is one NICE cart!!
spriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 08:44 PM   #8
Yamaha4life
The Overposter!

Yamaha

wow i like the seats but the cart is UGLY!!!
Yamaha4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 09:43 PM   #9
groundpounder
Gone Wild

Yamaha

the cart is not ugly they are very sharp in person and look awsome with a lift and the light kits nice looking cart and welcome to the forum george
groundpounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 09:55 PM   #10
georgetroy
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the welcome all. No lifts or modications until the new wears off. Besides I have a 4 year warranty to protect. Check my message in the ATV section and you will see I'm lifted allright, the Arctic Cat will do about 60 mph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundpounder View Post
the cart is not ugly they are very shap in person and look awsome with a lift and the light kits nice looking cart and welcome to the forum george
georgetroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha