lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-17-2007, 06:32 PM   #21
NO NO NO E-Z-GO!
Gone Wild

Default Re: 2007 Yamaha Drive Review

It seems as though the good points of the cart that I made note of are getting overlooked and I'm getting badgered for finding something wrong with it. So, to clear things up... (btw, everything that people have said they liked IS in the review; it's in larger print...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NO NO NO E-Z-GO! View Post
I finally got a chance to "drive the Drive" today, and here are my findings.

**Please note, that when I do reviews, I put all personal preference aside, so you can rest assured that I rate things for what they are!**

When I pulled up, my first impression was, "Not a bad looking cart!" I looked it over pretty well from top to bottom before I drove it to analyze the fit and finish of it. Improved? YES! Best? No.

The Driving Experience
The engine is quite smooth, but has a very strange sound to it. The powertrain of the cart is sluggish at best. From a complete stop, when floored, the engine lugs off the line, revs up fairly high without accelerating, then lugs the rest of the way up to speed. There is absolutely no feeling of acceleration. For an 11.4hp engine, it should be better. The brakes are a different story. They are very quick and operate smoothly. When the parking brake is engaged, you can still move the cart somewhat like a vehicle in "Park." When changing gears, you MUST come to a complete stop or the transmission will grind horribly. Neutral is nearly nonexistent. The cart's ride is bottom-rung. The front end feels loose and the steering is slow to react. Even at 12mph, it gets somewhat squirrely. There is no body roll to the cart, it instead pushes the front wheels or kicks the rear end from side to side.

Inside the Cart
The first thing you notice when you enter the cart is the cupholders. The new center console is one that will have to be caught up to by the competition. Its placement is near perfect, and there are multiple sized cupholders, and even a cell phone holder. The seat looks comfortable, but it is very hard, and the back is poorly shaped. The steering wheel is too parallel to the ground, it feels somewhat like driving a semi. In turns, the best armrests in the business keep you secure. Quality is high in areas such as materials, but the build quality is lacking greatly. The floormat fits tightly and even overlaps in some areas, and in others there is a 1/2" gap. The composite floorboard surface is exposed behind the pedals. The front roof support boots against the body fit poorly, and form marks are evident on the rear drainage spouts. The roof is flimsy in the middle.

Data
Engine: Yamaha-built 357cc 11.4hp @ 3500 RPM gasoline engine.
Transaxle: TEAM unitized with built-in brakes
0-top speed: 7.16 seconds
Steering: double-ended rack and pinion
Suspension: front struts with cast steel lower control arms; rear coilover shocks with sway bar

Pictures

Electric Powertrain
NO NO NO E-Z-GO! is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-17-2007, 07:13 PM   #22
Woodie1976
Gone Wild

i didn't read the whole thing cuz.... well i read no no's review and i thought it was a good "heart felt" review of the cart..... for him.... now keep this is mind.... one person might be 5'4" and weight 110 lbs..... the other person is 6' and 350lbs..... when Aaron said the seats are firm and he didn't care for them.... i thought hmm... prolly pretty cumffy for a big guy.... cool....as for the steering wheel being like in a semi.... COOL thats the way i like mine.... i dint care for them straight up and down..... so the way i look at it is.... GOOD "professional" review aaron...... to everyone else....this is the way i look at it .... 6 one way half dozen the other.... whats good for you might not be good for him
Woodie1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 07:17 PM   #23
NO NO NO E-Z-GO!
Gone Wild

Very true. I'm 6'4". I would give my weight but I don't care for giving out too much information due to internet security, or the lack thereof. I am, however, fairly certain that the seats are hard to anyone, whether they're 100 pounds or 600.
Old 11-17-2007, 10:42 PM   #24
ElC
Gone Wild

Quote:
Hey, I posted it how I took it. I am not going to kiss up to any cart because it's a Yamaha or E-Z-GO or Club Car. I rated it for what I thought of it.

And Club Car does not use the TEAM transaxle. That is a Yamaha-only feature. Club Car uses Kawasaki or Graziano transaxles.

The Drive seems to hold up well. I was talking to another local dealer and he has had excellent luck with them. Tom from Cart Parts Plus reported 30+ transaxles being replaced in some Drives already. Who knows, give it a few years and we'll see. I think we can all bet our farms on the fact that the Yamaha Drive, Club Car Precedent, and E-Z-GO RXV will never hold up like the G9s, DSs, and Marathons. You know what they say about opinions, though...

Oh, and WELCOME TO BUGGIES GONE WILD!!! We're glad to have you!
Post some pics of that new Drive for the world to see.
I agree whatever cart you have must of impressed you enough to buy it or frustrate you enough to modify it. Tom and I spoke at length regaurding the 30+ reports of transaxle failures. Despite different manufactures the transaxles seem to be a weak link. Per our last discussion Tom said most of the failures were in the electic models Hopefully for me thats true. The steering is still close for me but I am also 6'-2" 250lbs mostly steaks and Yuengling Light Lager, but everyone needs a hobby. I am glad to be here. In the proper area I will ask for some help posting pictures.
ElC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 11:05 PM   #25
ElC
Gone Wild

Quote:
It seems as though the good points of the cart that I made note of are getting overlooked and I'm getting badgered for finding something wrong with it. So, to clear things up... (btw, everything that people have said they liked IS in the review; it's in larger print...)
Just to be clear there are things on this cart I don't like as well. It has flaws no question about it. I looked and tested Club Car and the Yamaha, I could have bought either. To me and for what I plan on doing to/with this cart, the Yamaha was the better choose for me. I actually like the looks of the new Club Car better. I didn't want you to think I was badgering you. I read your review before I bought the cart and it didn't change my buying discision. We agree or some area and disagree on some. I value your opinion in the context that this is a message board to share opinions and information. I can see you contribute quite a bit. Might be nice to have some new gearheads to talk to. Tough to find someone that has actually worked on some different cart. I have only owned Yamaha's but have driven and worked on quite a bit of Club Cars as well. I know nothing about EZ-GO. Anyway good to be here, I'll figure the picture thing out. Ordering the 23hp monday or tuesday.. will post some picks before and after. and give my opinion.
ElC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 05:06 PM   #26
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Hands down the winner!!!! This cart with a CPP 23 hp v-twin...come on!! I'm without words here YAMAHA RULES, AGAIN !!

I would uninstall the top....just my opinion. SWEET LOOKIN CART!!!!

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 05:09 PM   #27
NO NO NO E-Z-GO!
Gone Wild

I hear there's a pretty sick Club Car with a big block too.

Club Car = less weight = less mass to move = more power to the ground.
Old 11-18-2007, 05:17 PM   #28
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Like I said, YAMAHA RULES, AGAIN......

[img][/img]

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 05:25 PM   #29
NO NO NO E-Z-GO!
Gone Wild

The big bad 301.

Old 11-18-2007, 06:33 PM   #30
Dero
Gone Wild

I didnt realize you put a 301 in...hmm
Dero is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha