lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-10-2017, 03:55 PM   #1
justwondering
A Gal with a Cart!
Yamaha

Default G2/G9 Twins I've Inherited - Non-running

Hi folks...
I have just inherited two, non-running G2/G9 Yamaha gas, golf carts.

Backstory:
Dad traded for these 2 carts about 10 years ago. They sometimes work, sometimes don't over the years. He's ...shall we say ... 'frugal'... and takes them to his buds at the lawnmower repair place.
Sometimes they have someone to work on them that knows what they were doing. Often, they are just making do.

The one person (about 5 years ago), that was a ranch/farm hand whom I paid to look at them said, in his opinion after tearing down each of the engines:
- 1 engine was shot, very worn piston and had already been oversized ...had been poorly treated - engine needed replacement
- other engine needed new rings and to be bored slightly larger or replace the engine
- both carts had the typical airbox that wouldn't seal because the tab/clips on the side of the lid were busted

I've replaced a starter in 1 of them, plugs in each of them, cleaned out the fuel bowl in each of them, recovered the seat on 1 of them, etc. etc. Mainly simple or superficial tasks.

Eventually, both carts quit running.

Goal
I have my own place, quite a few acres.
I'd like transportation for my tools and me (chainsaws to shovels).
I'd like to ride over to check on the goats, to the barn for a bale of hay, back over to the garden, up to check the mail, back to the house.
I don't need a 700hp, super lift, oversized tire godzilla.

Advice I'm Looking For
Is there a cost-effective engine replacement I could pursue?
I can weld and fabricate or trade for those services if need be.
I've replaced a/c compressor and water pump on the F350 dually, replaced the starter on the Chevy 4x4, and am currently rehabbing a 1963 Jeep Willys Pickup.
By no means a professional, but I can follow directions and keep track of tools and fasteners as I work through projects.
I'd like the carts to run properly.
I have a Mahindra tractor with front bucket, so I can lift the engines in and out.

I can provide pictures, cart id numbers, etc. ...
Reading through the 'big block' section provides great info but its all overkill for my purposes.
Sifting through web searches gives me too many false hits.
Spending 2,000 a cart for an engine in each cart is too much money

Dad (79) no longer has the mental acuity nor desire to help.

Could someone take pity on this poor soul?
justwondering is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-10-2017, 06:39 PM   #2
justwondering
A Gal with a Cart!
Yamaha

Default Re: G2/G9 Twins I've Inherited - Non-running

First ID number: JG5-001585

Second Cart ID number: JG5-117378

Based on further review -- these are G9 carts.
The first one is 1991 and the second appears to be born in 1992.

There appear to be more threads using G9 as a search parameter:

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-y...gine-swap.html

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/clone...one-build.html

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/clone...tor-build.html

I'll do some voracious reading and be back with questions.
Old 04-10-2017, 06:47 PM   #3
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Two G9s, what a awesome problem to have! The main rebuilders charge in the neighborhood of $650-700 to rebuild your motor. 3 pistons are available, standard, 0.25 mm oversize, 0.50mm oversize (oversize pistons will say 25 or 50 on the top).
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 07:06 PM   #4
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

OR you could buy the motor ,starter generator mounts along with a steel clutch adapter for about $250 from veagascarts. Add a lifan 420 cc engine from ebay for $299 which comes to $550. After that fuel lines and throttle cable mods. Maybe another $20. If the exhaust suits you you are done with a brand new engine. Using their mounts with your mechanical skills you should be able to do the job in a week end. On the vegascarts site there is a step by step installation guide for the yamaha G2-14 cart with a clone engine. And anyone can preview what is involved whether using their engine or not. Being that I actually did their yamaha g14 swap on my cart I can say it is an easy bolt in.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 07:26 PM   #5
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Two G9s, what a awesome problem to have! The main rebuilders charge in the neighborhood of $650-700 to rebuild your motor. 3 pistons are available, standard, 0.25 mm oversize, 0.50mm oversize (oversize pistons will say 25 or 50 on the top).
One other note on the rebuilders if your core is deemed not rebuildable there is usually a $400 core charge. But I would also say if you are able to do the rebuild yourself you might be in the $200-400 range depending on what needs to be replaced.
Old 04-10-2017, 08:06 PM   #6
justwondering
A Gal with a Cart!
Yamaha

That's exactly the info I'm looking for.

I had read about a dozen build threads and the Predator path seems overly complicated for me at this time in my novice cart/engine life.

I was leaning toward the vegascart solution since it appears a bit more plug and play.

Seems like rebuilding by someone else would be about as expensive as buying a replacement... assuming its my sweat equity either way.

From what I've read the 420cc would give me a power boost which would help when moving wood.

Just for clarification ....
Using the combination of vegas kit and lifan motor , I would still need a separate kill switch...
Does this combination mean I can use the same controls for forward and reverse ... under the driver's seat?
Old 04-10-2017, 08:14 PM   #7
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

The F/W remain the same in a yamaha. For stopping the engine you can use a kill switch, 5 pin bosch relay in the sticky in the clone section or just a low idle kill. And yes even a stock lifan has a lot more oomph than the stocker. Just to be clear you can use the predator or the lifan 420 for the swap.
Old 04-10-2017, 08:15 PM   #8
justwondering
A Gal with a Cart!
Yamaha

Raydhd ...
Again, thank you so much for your observations and recommendations. I really appreciate you taking time to provide guidance.

I'm going to replace one of the engines and then I'll have the two old engines I can carry to a machine shop and ask their opinion on which is salvageable... if either is.

That gives me the opportunity to do a replace and a repair... you can't get too much practice--can you?
Old 04-10-2017, 08:16 PM   #9
justwondering
A Gal with a Cart!
Yamaha

cgtech --
I'll have to go check the tops of the pistons and see what I have to work with ..lol
Old 04-10-2017, 08:23 PM   #10
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by justwondering View Post
Raydhd ...
Again, thank you so much for your observations and recommendations. I really appreciate you taking time to provide guidance.

I'm going to replace one of the engines and then I'll have the two old engines I can carry to a machine shop and ask their opinion on which is salvageable... if either is.

That gives me the opportunity to do a replace and a repair... you can't get too much practice--can you?
I drove my G14 with a cheapo rebuild done myself from 2008 to 2014 until it started smoking again,switched to an early VC 460 that I drove until this winter and just completed a pretty near the top edge VC 460 with NR racing valve train that I have just 3 hours on as of this afternoon.

Tags
g2/g9
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha