lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-25-2021, 08:42 AM   #1
jskingry
Not Yet Wild

Default 2008 EXGO TXT Wiring in a Voltage Reducer and Relay

Hello all,

I am in the process of upgrading the cart with blinkers, lights, radio, etc. I need to install a voltage reducer and blindly ordered one off Amazon without thinking about switching the unit.

The reducer I ordered is a four wire without a switch wire, so it looks like my options are either return the unit and buy a switching unit or buy an additional relay to deal with the switching.

For the questions:
1. Does anyone have a recommended relay or is the basic 36v 40a uxcell SPDT you can buy on Amazon for a few bucks ok?
2. Looks like people mount these items under the front cowling? Is that the best location, seems like there is room on the side of the battery compartment by the "control unit" if I wanted to wire there?
jskingry is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-25-2021, 02:08 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2008 EXGO TXT Wiring in a Voltage Reducer and Relay

1. This one works well: Potter & Brumfield T9AP1d52-36-01 - About $5. https://www.amazon.com/TE-CONNECTIVI...A%3D%3D&sr=1-1

2. The empty space under the driver seat is often used for the DC to DC converter and a fuse block/12V distribution panel, but if you have a PDS drive, there is room in front of controller.

The trick is to keep the 36V leads to the voltage reducer and the 12V lead to the distribution fuse block as short as practical. The power relay should be close to the voltage reducer. The lead from the key switch to the relay coils doesn't carry much current, so its length isn't critical.

BTW: If you happen to upgrade to a 42V or 48V battery pack in the future, Just add a 5W 500Ω or 1000Ω resistor in series with the 36V coil, respectively, and it'll work on the higher voltage without burning out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DC reducer relay.jpg (228.4 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO