lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-17-2021, 02:29 PM   #31
Murby
Gone Wild

Default Re: why is this not talked about more?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
There are plenty of quality things made in China. But I would not buy Chinese batteries unless a US company has them and backs them up.
Yes, I agree. There's a big difference between a Chinese product made in China vs an American, German or some other country's product that is contracted to be made in China.

But most of these Chinese batteries folks are buying are Chinese products, not just products under contract to be manufactured there.
Murby is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-19-2021, 09:20 AM   #32
emoney
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
There are plenty of quality things made in China. But I would not buy Chinese batteries unless a US company has them and backs them up.

3 of the largest Lithium battery manufacturers in the world are Panasonic, LG CHem and CATL, none of which are US Companies. Those three power the majority of EVs on the road. Panasonic = Japan, LG Chem = Korea and CATL = China
emoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 09:51 AM   #33
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Not sure any US company alone makes Lithium cells. Even Tesla's battery factory is or at least was run by Panasonic with their technology. Samsung (Korea) is also a big maker of high quality cells. I use their 18650 cells in my Ebike and in some of my RC models.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 05:31 PM   #34
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

When I rode dirt bikes we used to joke that my Jap bike is better than your Jap bike. In this case it would be my Chinese battery is better than your Chinese battery. :)
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 07:49 AM   #35
keepinitreal538
Not Yet Wild

not sure if i should start a new discussion or not but lets talk about lithium ion vs liFePO4 and C-rating.... this is an unfamiliar thing for me. I understand what it is but not really how it is... for example LiFePO4 cells that are lets say 3C 200ah will put out 600amps for maybe 3 sec, and a 3C 100ah will put out 300amps for the same. but where i get confused is they say continues discharge is lets say 1C. What happens when you try and draw over that for too long? heat? expansion? also space is a concern. I'm wanting to build some 72V packs the controllers are 800 amp it seems like leaf modules might be my only option but I'm curious to see if anyone has come across something that will fit into a DS that would work?
keepinitreal538 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 08:31 AM   #36
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

If the ratings are true, you should be able to discharge at that rating for longer than 3 seconds. I use high C rated Lipos for my miniquads and they routinely pull 50C currents. Batteries get warm but not extremely hot. Golf carts typically don't pull real high currents for long periods. At 20mph, my cart is pulling almost 70 amps on level ground. That is about .5C for my Leaf pack. (that is about 3.5KW by the way)
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 01:56 PM   #37
emoney
Not Yet Wild

If you can find Panasonic or Samsung SDI Li-Ion NMC cells, they will be able to pull plenty power. I know there's Samsung on Ebay right now, the 94Ah cells that originally were intended for BMW. You'll want the seller to drill and tap for posts, but they're priced right for new cells.
emoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 03:12 PM   #38
keepinitreal538
Not Yet Wild

so i feel dumb for not knowing this but nissan has gen III IV and V cells.... im looking at the III's and they look great.... why are people not buying them up like the gen I and II's? would 5 work for a 72V pack since there are 2 modules per group. so 5 sets equals 10 modules. it would be like 84V... here's a link. https://www.ebay.com/itm/23397320406...b097%7Ciid%3A1
keepinitreal538 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 04:32 PM   #39
PingEye3
Gone Wild

Club Car

Yes, 5 Gen 3's is perfect for 84v pack. But your link says no shipping, local pickup only. For a DS that had 6-8V batteries, it will be a tight fit. But it will fit.
PingEye3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 10:09 AM   #40
Murby
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepinitreal538 View Post
so i feel dumb for not knowing this but nissan has gen III IV and V cells.... im looking at the III's and they look great.... why are people not buying them up like the gen I and II's? would 5 work for a 72V pack since there are 2 modules per group. so 5 sets equals 10 modules. it would be like 84V... here's a link. https://www.ebay.com/itm/23397320406...b097%7Ciid%3A1
Seller doesn't list an actual capacity, only the "rated" capacity, which means almost nothing.

Seller is also located in California, which means those batteries may very well be roasted well done.

Be very careful.
Murby is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car