lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-02-2009, 12:50 PM   #1
Neal 97 250
Getting Wild

Default 2 or 4 stroke engines, advice please

I am sort of in the market for a newer (new to me) cart. I was considering gas this time on recommendation from Scottyb. I am curious as to when and/or what years are the 2 stroke engines and 4 stroke engines or did they mix them thru time?
The biggest reason is I absolutely have no luck with 2 stroke engines. I even recently bought a 4 stroke weedeater for that reason.

I presently have an older electric Melex around '85 model and was going to lift and tire it. I was going to use it on the farm I just bought but the cart needs way too much work. So now I am looking and comparing.

Another question. I was advised to look for a mid '90's model or newer. Can you be more specific on the year and what are the reasons/differences in the carts?

One last question. What is a work horse and what is the difference with it.
Sorry but I don't even know the difference in a TXT, PDS etc. I am uneducated on these and looking for advice.

Thanks,
Neal
Neal 97 250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-02-2009, 12:53 PM   #2
mikesmotortoys
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2 or 4 stroke engines, advice please

Early 90's was the end of 2 stroke EZGO's (sometime around 1993 - 1994). Club Car never had a 2 stroke cart, but had an older 4 stroke version, called a 'flat head'. I'm not sure when Yamaha went to the 4 stroke?

Factory EZGO - Bad Boy Buggy - Dixie Chopper Mowers
mikesmotortoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 12:54 PM   #3
Monsterezgokid
Kid no more!!

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal 97 250 View Post
Another question. I was advised to look for a mid '90's model or newer. Can you be more specific on the year and what are the reasons/differences in the carts?
Well Ezgo stoped producing the two stroke carts in 93 i believe, and they started with the 4 strokes in 91, so between 91, and 93 you have your mixture of 2 and 4 stroke carts.
Monsterezgokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 12:56 PM   #4
Flintrock
Raised by coyotes

Yamaha

The G2 came along in 85, the G1'a stopped production in 1989.....
Flintrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 01:00 PM   #5
Monsterezgokid
Kid no more!!

E-Z-GO

LOL mike posted just before me

Quote:
One last question. What is a work horse and what is the difference with it.
Sorry but I don't even know the difference in a TXT, PDS etc. I am uneducated on these and looking for advice.

Thanks,
Neal
The workhorse cart was the ulitity version from ezgo, usualy they were equiped with a rear tilting dump box, and the frame was slightly longer then a factory cart

The TXT refered to the body style, and the PDS refered to the type of electric drive.

There were 3 types of electric drive, the Series cart, the DCS, and the PDS. The DCS and the PDS were both regen carts, and both very similar in their setup, but the PDS was just a slightly improved setup over the DCS (it had a speed sensor on the motor, and controller had interchangeable regen and speed features).

Yamaha stopped production of the 2 stroke g1 in 89. and were made from 79-89 surprisingly
Old 10-02-2009, 01:25 PM   #6
Neal 97 250
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flintrock View Post
The G2 came along in 85, the G1'a stopped production in 1989.....
So I assume that the G2 is a 4 stroke from Yamaha and was first introduced in '85. And the G1 was the older 2 stroke?
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsterezgokid View Post
LOL mike posted just before me

The workhorse cart was the ulitity version from ezgo, usualy they were equiped with a rear tilting dump box, and the frame was slightly longer then a factory cart

The TXT refered to the body style, and the PDS refered to the type of electric drive.

There were 3 types of electric drive, the Series cart, the DCS, and the PDS. The DCS and the PDS were both regen carts, and both very similar in their setup, but the PDS was just a slightly improved setup over the DCS (it had a speed sensor on the motor, and controller had interchangeable regen and speed features).

Yamaha stopped production of the 2 stroke g1 in 89. and were made from 79-89 surprisingly

So there is no major performance upgrade for the workhorse just design and frame differences. Thanks that helps alot

So I see, PDS and DCS are electric and designate differences in the motors/setups. The TXT reffered to the body style and had nothing to do with elec or gas versions. Thanks.

So what I am reading is; if I want a good, reliable, strong 4 stroke EZ-go I need to start looking at a '91 and newer?

Is there a difference in the motors since then?
ie: a '97 is same/different than an '05 in what way?

Man thanks for all of you guys' help. I come to the EZ-go forum and get answers on all makes. You guys rock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Neal 97 250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 03:12 PM   #7
Monsterezgokid
Kid no more!!

E-Z-GO

Quote:
So what I am reading is; if I want a good, reliable, strong 4 stroke EZ-go I need to start looking at a '91 and newer?
Well if you want a 4 stroke then yes

Quote:
Is there a difference in the motors since then?
ie: a '97 is same/different than an '05 in what way?
Well yes and no.. They are the same engine, however, i believe ezgo sometime in the mid 2000's came out with what they call the MCI which had something to do with emissions i belive, or something of that nature. Major differences had to do with the head design of the engine, and if im not mistaken.. something do do with the intake? Im not fully aware about this, maby mike could chime in.

Quote:
So there is no major performance upgrade for the workhorse just design and frame differences. Thanks that helps alot
The Workhorse model carts, came with a 350 cc engine with a 11hp output instead of the 9hp from the 295. Many have been able to modify the 350 with the 295 head to get increased power output.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO