lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-10-2009, 09:49 PM   #1
ezwrks97
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Anybody had this happen?

Well it happened again, after I updated the pads and bought a new riser for the drivin clutch, also bought a new bolt and washer(actually bought two, one for just in case) anyways, I got everything back together and put back in, torqued the bolt to 14 ft pds. like the manual says. After driving around for a couple of months, the bolt broke, left about 3/4 inch of it in the trans shaft. Well I drill it out and put in the extra. It started running funny the other day and I looked and this bolt is broken too. wtf. Sorry this is so long but I'm a little frustrated with this. The reason I rebuilt the clutch is because about 6-8 months ago the clutch had almost fallen off the shaft, yea you guessed it, a broken bolt. So what I am thinking is that the clutch housing must be wallered out too much, yea there is some wobble there but I never figured it was extreme. I have a 97 workhorse and I use it a lot, we had a bad storm this last spring so we've been moving around a lot of firewood, brush and just stuff. anybody got ideas? I'm thinking about getting a new clutch but would love to hear if anyone else had this problem and what they did to fix it.
Thanks up front for any,
ezwrks97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-10-2009, 09:53 PM   #2
mikesmotortoys
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Anybody had this happen?

Old clutches should be replaced in my opinion. I've never had or seen a clutch bolt break before - you either have a severely worn clutch shaft, clutch, vibration, mis alignment, something. Does it "wobble" on the shaft before you torque the bolt down?

Factory EZGO - Bad Boy Buggy - Dixie Chopper Mowers
mikesmotortoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 10:53 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Replace the clutch and the belt. Something is way out bad! Never heard of a broken bolt before and 2 well that just says it is some problem with your cart, Not the design.....
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 08:58 AM   #4
ezwrks97
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

That's the way it goes sometimes I guess. I had thought that the clutch seemed to be a bit wobbly on the shaft before I had put it back on. Do you know if anyone sells the pully without the ramps and spring? I had just rebuilt this one not long ago and it seems a waste to have to buy the whole thing to get this fixed.
Thanks for your replys,
Kent
Old 11-11-2009, 09:43 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Since you bound and determined If I was you I would look for another used in better shape and use parts from yours or keep it as a spare? Maybe you can find somebody to remachine the center? I dunno.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 10:21 AM   #6
ezwrks97
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

oh, that obvious huh. Well I try to stay on my budget but I do want this thing to run right. I just got done putting a different engine in it(thanks nubs), and with this problem I had thought that maybe I was doing something wrong. If the clutch is not supposed to have much play in it then I was hoping that someone on here would know where to get just the housing as I spent over a hundred bucks between the ramps, spring, and hub. I don't necessaraly want to scrimp on quality because I use this cart a lot. Thanks for the reply's, guess I will try and call cartparts and see what they have, or?
Thanks,
Kent
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO