lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-11-2013, 02:52 PM   #1
phpwebdev
Not Yet Wild

Exclamation 2006 CC - New Pads - Slow - Smell

I just replaced the pads on my 2006 Presedent and after going through the auto adjustments I took it for a long drive. It feels like the brakes are dragging and I smell brake pad.

Is this normal? ( I am guessing not)

Is there something I should do? Maybe reset the tension springs and start over?

Thanks!
phpwebdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-12-2013, 08:47 AM   #2
phpwebdev
Not Yet Wild

Question Re: 2006 CC - New Pads - Slow - Smell

Yesterday we took it out for another spin and we had the same issue and our battery went down very fast.

Should both back tires spin freely when the cart is on jackstands and the parking brake is off? One of my tires spins with some resistance (pass side), the other (Driver Side) doesn't turn at all by hand.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:20 AM   #3
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2006 CC - New Pads - Slow - Smell

Quote:
Originally Posted by phpwebdev View Post
Yesterday we took it out for another spin and we had the same issue and our battery went down very fast.

Should both back tires spin freely when the cart is on jackstands and the parking brake is off? One of my tires spins with some resistance (pass side), the other (Driver Side) doesn't turn at all by hand.
. . . with wheels off ground, you should be able to rotate them by hand with little to no resistance . . .
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:43 AM   #4
phpwebdev
Not Yet Wild

I remember when I was pumping the brakes for self-adjustment that they just kept clicking and clicking and I felt like they should have already stopped ratcheting. So I put it back on the ground and started driving forward/back, hitting the brakes to get the ratcheting to start affecting the brakes and slowly the brakes began to get better until it finally stopped ratcheting and the brakes stopped very well, but maybe too well?

Is it possible to over auto-adjust them (oxymoron)?

I guess I should check my brake cable but I haven't changed anything but the pads so I don't know if cables would need to be changed.

When I put the pads in, I do remember wondering where the pads should align vertically inside the top/bottom bracket. I wasn't sure if the metal at the top of the pad mount surface should be flush with the top of the bracket slot, or if it should be centered vertically on that mount spot. Does the auto-adjust also auto-center the pads inside the drum?
Old 05-12-2013, 10:17 AM   #5
Fishing Dude
Gone Wild

Club Car

Is your cable to tight?
Fishing Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:12 AM   #6
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Which brakes did you you and how did you install them? Pics? Upside down brakes can cause major problems and I see it all the time.

You should have used 101820301 Brakes and installed them with both markings upwards (17L and 17T) towards the top of the shoe. Only one marking will be visible because one shoe will be spun around and won't show it. 17L goes towards the rear of the car. 17T goes towards the front. This is the same on both the driver and passenger side.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:02 AM   #7
phpwebdev
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDawgZ71 View Post
Which brakes did you you and how did you install them? Pics? Upside down brakes can cause major problems and I see it all the time.

You should have used 101820301 Brakes and installed them with both markings upwards (17L and 17T) towards the top of the shoe. Only one marking will be visible because one shoe will be spun around and won't show it. 17L goes towards the rear of the car. 17T goes towards the front. This is the same on both the driver and passenger side.
Hi Tahoe,

I used some pads that one of my neighbors had in-stock (new in the box). They are made in korea. I didn't see any 17 stamps on them (the old ones had them). I was desperate since I needed my cart this weekend and all the cart shops withing 50 miles are closed on weekends.

As for the installation, I will be cracking it open again today to check on the installation and to lube/clean things up better. I will try to snap some photos. I was pretty careful to match up the pad orientation to the old pads, but its possible one of them is in there wrong.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:28 PM   #8
phpwebdev
Not Yet Wild

I am starting in on them again. Here are some pics of the driver side brake. I can't seem to upload more than 1 pic on my iPhone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (180.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-13-2013, 08:20 PM   #9
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Are all four of them the same?
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:52 PM   #10
phpwebdev
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDawgZ71 View Post
Are all four of them the same?
No, each set had one that had a dog ear. I matched up that dog ear with the old set for orientation.

I just re-assembled everything after cleaning and lubing. Both tires spin freely right now. I am going to begin the auto-adjustment.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car