lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-16-2018, 04:10 PM   #1
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Curious about my batteries

Hello fellas,

My 5+ year old batteries, Crown CR-165, date code C13, are working so great it has me puzzled.

My wife and I ride everyday, rain or shine, on a level, paved road surface which is from 4.5 to 10 miles long. The average speed each day is between 14 and 18 mph, with the 24 MPH top speed involving at least half of the ride.

The voltage at top speed stays around 46 volts and is around 49 volts at lower speeds. Voltage at start is 52+, and at end of ride it is 49.8 to 50.2, indicating better than 65% left. A couple days we road the course twice, once about 18 miles, and still had 49.9 volts after a rest. There was no charging done between the two trips.

I am feeling very lucky at this point. I had budgeted in 2017 for new batteries but these won't give up it seems.

My concern is, these batteries use almost NO WATER. I keep the level 1/4 to 1/2" above the plates and only add distilled water once a month or so to bring it from 1/4 to 1/2" above the plates. This is with a constant 90+ degree weather. In the spring I went two full months without adding water.

Does this sound to good to be true? Or am I just living right? Maybe I am being rewarded for all the money I spent getting this sleeper to where it is now. Maybe I'm just really, really lucky?!?!
Tom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-16-2018, 04:19 PM   #2
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Default Re: Curious about my batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom47 View Post
-snip-
Does this sound to good to be true? Or am I just living right? Maybe I am being rewarded for all the money I spent getting this sleeper to where it is now. Maybe I'm just really, really lucky?!?!
Sounds like you are running similar as in my 8 year old US batteries that JUST gave up on me. Up until 2 months ago, they were consistently maintaining 50.x volts 12 hours after charging, would run me all over and then back, used very little water and recharged rather quickly.

In May they started bubbling very hard, even pressurizing over the caps capabilities. Started using more water and taking a LOT more time to charger. Will be gong Lithium now.......
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 04:26 PM   #3
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Similar experience with my Crown CR190's in their 5th year (4+). Water use is extremely low so far. Less than yours even. These batteries have been on a DPI charger since installation (new). Same climate as you. Cart is garaged.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 05:17 PM   #4
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan4Ever View Post
Sounds like you are running similar as in my 8 year old US batteries that JUST gave up on me. Up until 2 months ago, they were consistently maintaining 50.x volts 12 hours after charging, would run me all over and then back, used very little water and recharged rather quickly.

In May they started bubbling very hard, even pressurizing over the caps capabilities. Started using more water and taking a LOT more time to charger. Will be gong Lithium now.......
Now I know what to watch for!
Old 07-16-2018, 05:19 PM   #5
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernal View Post
Similar experience with my Crown CR190's in their 5th year (4+). Water use is extremely low so far. Less than yours even. These batteries have been on a DPI charger since installation (new). Same climate as you. Cart is garaged.
Go Crown! I was going to get Trojans when these die since they are more readily available here. Not sure now....
Old 07-16-2018, 05:38 PM   #6
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Trojan, US and Crowns are all your top grade batteries right now. Either will suit you well so price and availability could be the prevailing factor.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 07:18 PM   #7
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

I'd like to update this old post. My batteries were 8 years old in March. Had a little party for them!

I drove 17.1 miles today, average speed 14 mph. When I returned to the barn, I had 82% charge left after sitting for 1/2 hour.

So I'm still very lucky!
Old 04-19-2021, 08:03 PM   #8
CartsRFun
Gone Wild

Talking Re: Curious about my batteries

Quote:
I'd like to update this old post. My batteries were 8 years old in March. Had a little party for them!

I drove 17.1 miles today, average speed 14 mph. When I returned to the barn, I had 82% charge left after sitting for 1/2 hour.

So I'm still very lucky!
Yep...Crown your cart with many Crowns maybe agms next time around
fuss free....
CartsRFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 08:18 PM   #9
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CartsRFun View Post
Yep...Crown your cart with many Crowns maybe agms next time around
fuss free....
For sure...if I can find them near me!
Old 04-19-2021, 08:33 PM   #10
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:

So I'm still very lucky!
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car