lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-29-2021, 10:56 AM   #1
O1PewterWS6
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 2001 EZGO TXT Series Speed & Battery Issues

Hello All! First post so be nice to me please.

I have been reading for a while and figured its time to ask my questions.

I have a 2001 EZGO 36V TXT that is a Series cart and its lifted. All the parts on the motor side are stock. The person I just bought it from put in 6x6V Trojan 105s 4 months ago they are dated L0 on the corner of the battery (not on the negative terminal) so they are new.

With a full charge my cart maybe gets 2 miles of range and the battery indicator is already more than half way gone and if I push it I will need to get help getting home at that point. This seems way way way to low for brand new batteries. What is the first step you all would do in trying to troubleshoot this?

Is it upgrading components, selling it and starting over? Ha
O1PewterWS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-29-2021, 12:02 PM   #2
camaroluvz28
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: 2001 EZGO TXT Series Speed & Battery Issues

First thing I would do is load test each individual battery to make sure you don't have one with a bad cell...do they all have the proper level of water in them? should just cover the cell inside the battery when looking in...also when you plug the charger in does it go up to between 15-20 amps or is it only going up to 2-5 amps?
camaroluvz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 12:04 PM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Lifted typical means taller than stock (18") tires, which reduces torque and if the tires have an aggressive tread, they may also be the low pressure (<10PSI max inflation pressure) type, which are amp hogs.

Only getting about 2 miles usually means battery issues.
One or more bad batteries.
Not getting fully charged.
Cold weather.

Attached are some things that may be helpful.

The voltage on the SoC chart are taken 12 hours after charger shuts off.

The second one shows you how to read the date codes and the third shows how much the storage capacity is reduced by low temperatures.

What is the overall height and max inflation pressure of the tires?

What make/model charger?

What does the pack voltage and individual battery voltages drop to when climbing a hill?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SoC vs Voltage - Trojan Battery.JPG (56.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Trojan Date codes.jpg (224.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Trojan user guide 4-30-2019.jpg (135.8 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 12:38 PM   #4
O1PewterWS6
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Posting some pics to give more details. To test the batteries, after a full charge just hook up a voltmeter and make sure the values are close to the chart?

Old 03-29-2021, 12:43 PM   #5
O1PewterWS6
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Well I guess my photos are not showing up. Maybe a link to the album?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/8vjy1wmi6L4M4d3j8
Old 03-29-2021, 12:53 PM   #6
camaroluvz28
Gone Wild

Yamaha

You will allow cart to rest for approx 12 hours after charging complete and then check to see if they are close to level on chart...I can tell you based on your pix that you a lot of accessories hooked to two batteries which will drain those two a lot faster than the rest of the pack...I would def suggest getting a voltage reducer from 36 volt down to 12 volt for your accessories to run off of the entire pack rather than those two batteries...as stated before I would test each battery under a load individually and see if any are dropping down lower than the others..
Old 03-29-2021, 01:53 PM   #7
O1PewterWS6
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroluvz28 View Post
You will allow cart to rest for approx 12 hours after charging complete and then check to see if they are close to level on chart...I can tell you based on your pix that you a lot of accessories hooked to two batteries which will drain those two a lot faster than the rest of the pack...I would def suggest getting a voltage reducer from 36 volt down to 12 volt for your accessories to run off of the entire pack rather than those two batteries...as stated before I would test each battery under a load individually and see if any are dropping down lower than the others..
Do I take the converter and put it into a terminal block and then feed the accessories? So literally just take it off the 2 batteries and then put it into the terminal block that is being powered from the 36v to 12v converter?
Old 03-29-2021, 02:06 PM   #8
camaroluvz28
Gone Wild

Yamaha

There are many different ways to wire up a Reducer...Most people wire it through the key switch so it doesn't draw power when not in use...But yes you will wire all of the accessories that are now running through only those two batteries to a (normally) 6 terminal fuse block you have running off of the reducers 12 volt positive...the negatives will run directly to the reducers 12 volt negative lead...
Old 03-29-2021, 02:09 PM   #9
O1PewterWS6
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroluvz28 View Post
There are many different ways to wire up a Reducer...Most people wire it through the key switch so it doesn't draw power when not in use...But yes you will wire all of the accessories that are now running through only those two batteries to a (normally) 6 terminal fuse block you have running off of the reducers 12 volt positive...the negatives will run directly to the reducers 12 volt negative lead...
Know of a diagram with the key switch?
Old 03-29-2021, 02:10 PM   #10
camaroluvz28
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Also a few things you may or may not know but should while we are on the subject... NEVER ground directly to frame on an electric cart like you can a gas cart...can cause many issues one being a huge fire hazard... Also if you are trying to listen to radio AM/FM and aren't getting good signal it is due to the radio also not being grounded through frame like on a car so you will need to purchase a Powered Antenna for good reception...just some knowledge based on your carts build that may or may not be relevant...
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO