lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-26-2010, 12:19 AM   #1
felber61
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Float Needle problem

Alright so I'm not good with technical terms but the needle that is pushed up by the float and then is let down by gravity when the float drops seems to be sticking up in my '87 EZGO carb. I've had the carb off several times and I know that it is as clean as possible. My question is: is it possible to replace this or would I just be better off replacing the whole carb? The cart just runs out of gas due to this and if I use something to tap or jiggle the carb it will take back off with enough convincing. I just dont want to ensue the rath of my wife if it acts up on her and I'm not around. Its not really the lightest thing to push back.
felber61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-26-2010, 06:56 AM   #2
IDIeselman
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Float Needle problem

You may have the needle clean but what about the seat in the carb? You may have to remove the carb and clean it well with compressed air and carb cleaner. Some have went so far as to boil them for 30 minutes or so to get them clean. Good luck!
IDIeselman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 07:27 AM   #3
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

I vote to buy a new carburetor. It's 23 years old and it's going to be worn. I messed with mine forever and when I changed it the cart ran like a sewing machine. What do you value your time at? $25 per hour? So save four hours and buy the new carb and you break even. What is more you reduce the risk of your wife cutting you off.
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 08:00 AM   #4
Freezeman
Not Yet Wild

Tooth paste or metal polish on the end of a Q tip chucked in a cordless drill will polish the tarnished seat for the needle. Also use the shaft of the Q tip or a tooth pick to polish the float lever hinge holes for free movement of the pin. Check the tip of the needle for damage.
Freezeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 11:22 PM   #5
felber61
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I like the Q tip idea. Its getting about that time of year to maintain things anyway. Cart ran 100 times better after I cleaned the carb except for this problem so I'm pretty sure if I clean out that passage way and it moves free it'll solve the problem. If not then I'll just order another. Any preferences on places to purchase one or are they all comparable on prices and customer service since it is such a "vintage" machine? I've browsed for other things on some site sponsers but I know that there is always an allstar that people usually know about.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:38 AM   #6
kameljoe21
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

when i cleaned my 78 carb i soaked the needle in carb cleaner for about 5 mins

all in all took me 15 mins to clean mine and it did wonders

i have cleaned a lot of carbs in my time so knowing what one looks like and what to clean and take apart really speeds up the process
kameljoe21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 09:26 AM   #7
chardonite
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

You need to replace the needle.The end the end of the needle gets worn and it sticks in the carb.I had the same problem and changing the needle fixed it.
chardonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 04:36 PM   #8
felber61
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

With my kids both racing motocross and running 2 stokes right now I'm familiar with the carb cleaning process and I'm 99 percent sure the jets are clean but since this needle has a rubber tip it may just be sticking due to wear. I'll try the Qtip trick and if that doesn't work I'll change it out if not the whole carb. Another part during racing season won't even get notice by my wife. Especially if its for her pit ride.
Old 10-27-2010, 04:45 PM   #9
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

If you do decide to get a new one, these are the people I got mine from

http://www.everythingcarts.com/p-917...7-2-cycle.aspx

I think that you will find that they are the cheapest and what's more their service is second to none. Order on line and enter the code BGWILD and you get 5% off.

By the way I have no affiliation to them other than being a very satisfied customer.
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 07:13 PM   #10
felber61
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Hey thanks for the suggestion I always appreciate a good service department and a discount!!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO