lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-11-2012, 07:36 AM   #1
sdg8569
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 85 martahon dead after exhaust remove/installation

I know it sounds crazy but it’s true I purchased a rough running 85 gas ezgo for 800 bucks. The exhaust was way to load when I drove it so upon inspection I saw that it had some nasty cracks in the mounting brackets and the gaskets where bad so I removed the 4 bolts, welded the cracks, painted it, new gaskets and re installed it. At first it ran really really rough to the point where it would not engage the drive belt so I loosened the flange from the pipe to the muffler and that did nothing. I also noticed that the backup buzzer doesn’t sound when you engage reverse anymore either. I checked the battery (good) checked the leads from the battery (good). I pulled the fuel line off after the pump and when I step on the gas I get no fuel. It seems the whole thing is dead and all I did was remove 4 bolts. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
sdg8569 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-11-2012, 07:56 AM   #2
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 85 martahon dead after exhaust remove/installation

no fuel from the pump sounds like either you lost your prime or crankcase pressure ... Try unhooking the fuel line at the carb and using a rag to create a seal and protect your mouth, blow into the fuel tank to force gas up through the line into the fuel pump to prime it (sounds hokey but believe it or not it actually works).

If that's a "no go" and you still aren't getting fuel, try checking the grounds (the big ones at the frame and at the front of the motor) - it's possible that they are corroded (it doesn't take much to render them unuseable) and that your cart was somehow finding a ground through the exhaust (which you interrupted with the R&R, painting, etc) - a wire brush does wonders here.

Double check ALL your wiring for loose, corroded, etc connections, bare spots, etc, get a DMM on the keyswitch, throttle microswitch, solenoid, etc to ensure they are all working correctly. Spray some contact cleaner in the F/R switch while working it back and forth - pull the plug, ground it, turn it over and see if you have spark ...

At that point, considering you have spark, then we'll look at checking your seals, etc
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 08:27 AM   #3
sdg8569
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

great start thanks
Old 06-11-2012, 10:10 AM   #4
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Brew City Music
He's our man
If he can't fix it
No one can.
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:17 AM   #5
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

bc, to put pressure on a fuel tank I have also done the blow in the tank method but now I just take my baby shop vac with the hose on the blower port. Have used this method many times to empty inboard boat fuel tanks as well. Just make sure to use the blower port, suction port would be bad....
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:24 AM   #6
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

KGSC, GREAT idea, can't believe I never thought of it, two thumbs up and an "Attaboy Button"
Old 06-11-2012, 10:30 AM   #7
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Thanks, I get one every once in a while Guess those 8 years of college paid off It just came to me one day when I had two boats with half full fuel tanks that needed to be emptied. I just thought, "Hey if I pressurize the tank, the fuel has to go somewhere.." Helps if you plug the vent as well.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 06:09 AM   #8
sdg8569
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Ok I only had a few minutes yesterday to do some investigating and one of the things I found is that my 10 year old son reversed the battery leads. I can’t blame him due to the fact the red wire was the neutral and the black the power feed which is the exact opposite of what I taught him, anyone could make that mistake. Now while reversed the starter did manage to slowly move, (DC power go figure). What possible problems could this have created? With the leads in the correct locations the cart is dead. Any suggestions?
Old 06-12-2012, 06:28 AM   #9
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

I'm going to defer this one to Dave Box, who has an almost uncanny knack for diagnosing electrical issues (as well as a much more complete, understandable way of describing the neccesary troubleshooting/testing methods) - the GOOD news is that quite a few of your electrical components can and will easily survive reverse polarity (don't ask me how I know that, LOL) ...

Your throttle microswitch and keyswitch should have suffered no ill effect from the RP, considering they are simple on-off switches, so personally, I'd start tracking the electrical path and component operation at the solenoid. Again, from experience I can tell you that the factory ignitors *can* take issue with reverse polarity, but let's cross that bridge once Dave gets you through the testing - and of course, once you get the cart to actually turn over normally.

True to form, however - once Dave gets you up and rolling I'll likely jump back in to "assist" further (and of course, take all the credit, LOL) ... Seriously though, Dave is FAR better than I at getting people through the electrical so sit tight, he's never far off.

Paging Dave .....
Old 06-12-2012, 06:54 AM   #10
sdg8569
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks so much its appreciated. I bought this cart for family fun while camping and if I dont get this thing running by 6/29 my kids are not going to be happy campers. hahahaha
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO