lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-11-2012, 01:35 PM   #1
makobuggie
Gone Wild

Default G1 engine

I just bought a 80s g1 i dont know the year of it the engine numbers are, s215-001789 if anyone can help me, AND THERES NO BUTTERFLY ON THE MUFFLER. IS THERE OTHER NUMBERS THAT I SHOULD LOOK FOR? THANKS
makobuggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-11-2012, 10:10 PM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: G1 engine

There is a serial number on the frame behind the bumper. That will let us know what you have.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 11:16 PM   #3
makobuggie
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
there is a serial number on the frame behind the bumper. That will let us know what you have.
i ment i bought a different engine, im going to rebuild, i know my carts a 81 it was on the frame, thanks
Old 08-12-2012, 07:57 AM   #4
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Sometimes these engines get "pieced" together when they are repaired. Since the G1 is so old who knows how many owners/mechanics have repaired it. I have a spare engine that has a crankcase from 1984, a head from 1979, and a carb from 1981.

As long as you don't have the 1982 low compression engine I think you are good. The only difference was the head and the carb.

All the crankcases were interchangeable.
Old 08-12-2012, 08:05 AM   #5
makobuggie
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
sometimes these engines get "pieced" together when they are repaired. Since the g1 is so old who knows how many owners/mechanics have repaired it. I have a spare engine that has a crankcase from 1984, a head from 1979, and a carb from 1981.

As long as you don't have the 1982 low compression engine i think you are good. The only difference was the head and the carb.

All the crankcases were interchangeable.
thanks, i just wanted to lookup those numbers on the crankcase,do you were i can look it up? And im stump about not haveing a butterfly at the exst, i wonder what year that was? No govener? Thanks
Old 08-13-2012, 07:22 AM   #6
kcnaz
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Mine is a 79........no butterfly.
kcnaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:17 AM   #7
makobuggie
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcnaz View Post
mine is a 79........no butterfly.
so they had no govenor? Thanks
Old 08-13-2012, 01:26 PM   #8
yamarancher
Gone Wild

Yamaha

G1 govenor is on the rearend !
yamarancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 03:29 PM   #9
makobuggie
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamarancher View Post
g1 govenor is on the rearend !
i know its on the rear, im saying the linkage for the throttle and govenor is hookuped to a ex butterfly, i bought a engine that dont have a butterfly on it, im just stumped that it dont have one, and the flywheel cover dont have no linkage rod hookup on it, i guess they say its a 79, i tried to find diagram for it and no luck finding the year out with the crankcase numbers, i did before but no luck, thanks
Old 08-13-2012, 08:49 PM   #10
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by makobuggie View Post
i know its on the rear, im saying the linkage for the throttle and govenor is hookuped to a ex butterfly, i bought a engine that dont have a butterfly on it, im just stumped that it dont have one, and the flywheel cover dont have no linkage rod hookup on it, i guess they say its a 79, i tried to find diagram for it and no luck finding the year out with the crankcase numbers, i did before but no luck, thanks
The older ones didn't have the butterfly. There has been discussion here about that. From what I read the butterfly had something to do with backpressure from the exhaust. It controlled backpressure to aid in pressurizing of the cylinder but people have reported no issues with disconnecting it. You don't need it. Mine had one and I disconnected it. No issues, no noticeable difference.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha