lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-16-2013, 10:42 PM   #1
bungied7.3
Not Yet Wild

Default Does a chemical mix to repair batteries really work?

Has anyone had any luck with these chemical mixes they sell to repair batteries? I have some no name deep cycle batteries that were drained completely over the winter and I see repair kits for under 20 bucks that claim there 95% effective. I thought to give it a try before spending a thousand dollars on new trojans.
bungied7.3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-16-2013, 11:10 PM   #2
Fishing Dude
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Does a chemical mix to repair batteries really work?

Think of it this way, next time your hungry rub your belly with a steak. See how that works for you.
Fishing Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:11 PM   #3
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by bungied7.3 View Post
Has anyone had any luck with these chemical mixes they sell to repair batteries? I have some no name deep cycle batteries that were drained completely over the winter and I see repair kits for under 20 bucks that claim there 95% effective. I thought to give it a try before spending a thousand dollars on new trojans.
I have had no experience with them, but for 20 bucks you will know whether they work or not, and if so, you have saved hundreds!
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:25 AM   #4
bungied7.3
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakesnake27 View Post
I have had no experience with them, but for 20 bucks you will know whether they work or not, and if so, you have saved hundreds!
Thanks for replying Jakesnake, you have a good point. Its only 20 bucks and if it even brings the batteries back for even another season its only 20 and not 900 dollars. I will let the forum know how I make out.
Old 05-17-2013, 06:33 AM   #5
bungied7.3
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishing Dude View Post
Think of it this way, next time your hungry rub your belly with a steak. See how that works for you.
Thanks fishing dude... if anything I got a chuckle out of your comment. Does that mean you have used it and doesn't work or is it just your opinion?
Old 05-17-2013, 07:06 AM   #6
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

i had little gain with it , but i did not give it the right a mount of time or did i do new battery break in after adding. now i read here that ppl have had good luck with it as long as you are not looking for instant results and have a few months to play with .
Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:48 AM   #7
clubcarjeff
Gone Wild

Club Car

Batteries that have lost their charge and have gone completely dead CAN be revived. The acid/electrolyte is now basically water. I have had success dumping the battery water and replacing it with new acid. You can buy battery acid at an auto parts store. It comes in a bag contained in a box(kind of like good wine...haha) and it's not that expensive. Call me crazy, but I've done it and it works. Unless the battery has failed due to a shorted plate.
clubcarjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:54 AM   #8
clubcarjeff
Gone Wild

Club Car

To clarify,you should see some instant voltage after adding new acid, but the battery will need to be charged.
clubcarjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:00 AM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Google how do lead acid batteries die..... or such.
Over time sulfates form and harden on the lead plates which insulates them from the electron exchange making that part of the plate unusable. If enough of the plate surfaces become sulfated there is nothing NOTHING you can do to renew or revive the battery.
The most you can hope for is to postpone the inevitable purchase of new batteries alittle while. If that is all you need then go for it. Your results will vary battery to battery.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car