lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-03-2016, 09:06 AM   #1
Kashmir
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Digital battery gauge - how to wire

I just grabbed digital battery gauges for my Precedent and Carryall (pic below)
These carts are at camp and are used on the weekends only.
I am getting new Trojans for the Precedent in February and I will also be getting a DPI charger (with float). The Carryall will be on the Club Car Charger as it is not the primary buggy.
My question is, should I wire these through the key switch so they come on with the key? (will that even work???)
Or should I just hook them up to the battery pack so they are on all of the time?
I'm not figuring they draw very much power, so leaving them on all of the time shouldn't cause much of a drain, but I'm thinking gauge life would be better wiring them to come on with the key.....

Thoughts???

Kashmir is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-03-2016, 09:09 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Digital battery gauge - how to wire

Either way works. Some of my test meters have be on for years and years, no problem.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 09:20 AM   #3
Kashmir
Gone Wild
Club Car

Just found this post.....
Would putting the gauge on a toggle work?
or does it really matter?
From your post scotty, it doesn't really matter and the gauges aren't expensive anyway....heck, I can grab a couple of extra digital gauges just to have in my toolbox to swap out real quick if one goes bad...

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...eter-heat.html
Kashmir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 10:06 AM   #4
tag50
Gone Wild
Club Car

Mine's been on 24/7 for over a year and haven't noticed any heat. Didn't look for it either. Next time I'm at the cart I'll check with the non-contact thermometer.

tag50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 10:23 AM   #5
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by tag50 View Post
Mine's been on 24/7 for over a year and haven't noticed any heat. Didn't look for it either. Next time I'm at the cart I'll check with the non-contact thermometer.

Mine has been on 24/7 too for 2.5 years with no issue. I did hook mine through a 3-position toggle switch with center off but I only turn it off when the cart is parked at the marina. My reason for the toggle was so that I could check the reducer voltage as well as pack voltage...
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 10:38 AM   #6
Hunter450
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by teecro View Post
Mine has been on 24/7 too for 2.5 years with no issue. I did hook mine through a 3-position toggle switch with center off but I only turn it off when the cart is parked at the marina. My reason for the toggle was so that I could check the reducer voltage as well as pack voltage...
That's a good idea Teeco to put a 3 way switch if you have a reducer. I wired my digital meter thru a small push button switch so I can quickly check but the meter normally is off. I prefer it off as it does hinder my night vision.
Hunter450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 10:40 AM   #7
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter450 View Post
That's a good idea Teeco to put a 3 way switch if you have a reducer. I wired my digital meter thru a small push button switch so I can quickly check but the meter normally is off. I prefer it off as it does hinder my night vision.
Don't use my cart much at night but also picked green as it is easier on the eyes at night so I don't recall mine being too much...
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 11:20 PM   #8
tag50
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by tag50 View Post

Just checked the temp. of the meter-- 57.1 deg. One degree lower than the warmest piece of trim metal on the cart.

tag50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 11:28 AM   #9
jesseasi
Not Yet Wild

I have been working on a lithium battery conversion. I have an LED battery display - connecting it to the two factory wires (were not in use) located near the low battery indicator. Works perfectly and matches the dc output from my lithium battery back. But it is ALWAYS on. Does not turn off with the key. Is this normal? In the above posts I see some "24/7" responses.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kh7o4p4yd9...splay.JPG?dl=0
jesseasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 09:25 AM   #10
Espejo
Not Yet Wild

I hooked mine up the same way as Jessesi since the wires were already there behind the dash. I just added another jumper to the key switch so it only comes on when it is turned on. Figured I only needed to know the voltage when the cart was being used not when charging. Both ways work just fine.
Espejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car