lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-31-2009, 01:40 PM   #11
H Janssen
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Ac Motor- Tyger Golf Cart

The Tyger AC golf cart uses a Curtis 1234 controller made in the USA. a Graziano rear end and a good quality AC electric motor. The 1234 controller allows you to speed up the cart so it can do 30MPH. However the big advantage with the controller and motor is that it uses the battery power more efficently giving you up to an eighty mile range (using 8-6Volt T-145 Trojan batteries) on a complete charge that's at least 10% better than any other manufacturer. That'simportant in the Villages where you can go 40 miles from one end to the other icluding a round of golf. The controller is also capable of being hooked up to a standard Curtis programmer that allows hundreds of parameters to be changed according to the cart owners wishes. No expensive extra modules and programing to buy like Club Car if you want to make changes.
I don't know why anyone would want an DC cart after driving the AC version. I have an 06 Club Car Precedent that I'm trading in to get the new 2010 TYGER. Going up hills is amazing compared to the DC models.
With the AC model you also get a low/high speed switch so that when you're on the golf course you won't go faster than 15 MPH.
The only problem I see with the AC system is that some people will want to drive it at 30 MPH on the streets but I think some of the gas carts have been souped up and are going that fast now. I guess in time the police will be out with the radar guns to catch the speeders.
H Janssen is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-08-2010, 01:54 PM   #12
HerbT
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I am still interested in the Tyger AC even though it missed the IRS credit which expired 12/31. Does this cart qualify at least for the 10% tax credit in effect now and does anyone out there actually own one and find that it performs as advertised? Any recommended accessories?
HerbT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 09:11 AM   #13
H Janssen
Not Yet Wild

Thumbs up Re: Ac Motor- Tyger Golf Cart

It's too bad that you missed the big tax credit. You can still get the 10% credit but it's hardly worth it. After you pay the fees associated with the registration as an LSV (Low Speed Vehicle) which you have to do in order to get the tax credit and the extra cost of the insurance for an LSV vs golf cart you are no further ahead financially.
However if you want a street legal cart (LSV) then it is still advantages to apply for the tax credit.
The TYGER cart also has a 3 year warranty (wearable parts excluded) which is nice. I guess they are confident their product is top notch.
The prices have recently gone up $500 at the dealer level. I guess they discounted the first carts as an introduction special.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:24 PM   #14
GarageBuilt
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by H Janssen View Post
The Tyger AC golf cart uses a Curtis 1234 controller made in the USA. a Graziano rear end and a good quality AC electric motor. The 1234 controller allows you to speed up the cart so it can do 30MPH. However the big advantage with the controller and motor is that it uses the battery power more efficently giving you up to an eighty mile range (using 8-6Volt T-145 Trojan batteries) on a complete charge that's at least 10% better than any other manufacturer. That'simportant in the Villages where you can go 40 miles from one end to the other icluding a round of golf. The controller is also capable of being hooked up to a standard Curtis programmer that allows hundreds of parameters to be changed according to the cart owners wishes. No expensive extra modules and programing to buy like Club Car if you want to make changes.I don't know why anyone would want an DC cart after driving the AC version. I have an 06 Club Car Precedent that I'm trading in to get the new 2010 TYGER. Going up hills is amazing compared to the DC models.
With the AC model you also get a low/high speed switch so that when you're on the golf course you won't go faster than 15 MPH.
The only problem I see with the AC system is that some people will want to drive it at 30 MPH on the streets but I think some of the gas carts have been souped up and are going that fast now. I guess in time the police will be out with the radar guns to catch the speeders.
This is a good post guys. But if I could. There are a few things in it that I would like to clear up & make it more understanding. As ya’ll can see I have highlighted a few things. The controller in the wrong set of hands can most definitely manipulate the factory settings. But not legally. A street legal slow moving vehicle is not to exceed 25mph. The efficiency of the batteries plus the power that the AC system provides comes from the design of the motor.

The average person will never see the eighty mile round trip on a single charge. I have got close. But that was with the controller set at 12 to 15 mph max And on flat ground.

Curtis does make a hand held programmer to set & reset the parameters within the controller. But the last I had heard it only was available to dealers.
At a cost of 500.oo dollars. My experience of ac carts are first hand. I personally own 3 AC golf carts that I have converted my self. 48-volt. 72-volt which competes at 108 volts and the one & only 96-volts which can suck down a total of 130-volts ever to have been packed into a single golf cart.

Volt for Volt the AC system cannot be beat by any production run DC motor or controller system. The DC cannot compete with the AC in competition nor will it every become efficient as the AC system. But it does come with a price tag that most don’t won't to pay.
GarageBuilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 07:25 PM   #15
H Janssen
Not Yet Wild

Hi All

I agree with the post re distance of 80 miles with the cart. However this is the standard practise of all the suppliers to post the best range under ideal conditions. Realistically you should reduce that by about 15-25% depending on your driving habits, terrain and speed. One advantage of the Curtis 1234 controller and the AC motor is that you can use regenerative braking to turn the motor into a generator and recharge the battery when stopping or slowing down. Some people like this and others don't.

Also it is possible to hook your laptop up to the controller through a serial port on the computer and a connector into the controller. This means you don't have to own a curtis hand held programmer. Getting the executible file to run on the computer should be easy since the dealer should send it to you over the internet. That's how I got my copy. You better be a computer Geek though in order to make it all work. Better to let the dealer do it all for you.

However for most people a golf cart with the 1234 controller and a good quality AC motor in it, is a significant improvement over the DC combinations. I think the extra $1,000 for the AC system is money well spent.
Old 01-12-2010, 11:04 PM   #16
TDOG
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I hear the E-Z-GO 2FIVE AC drive LSV is coming out real soon. I would wait on it before I'd buy a Chinese car,
TDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 06:28 PM   #17
GarageBuilt
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

H Janssen. When you taped in to your controller did you post your results on your website????
Old 01-13-2010, 08:33 PM   #18
H Janssen
Not Yet Wild

When you hook up with the controller through your laptop you can change certain parameters that are in the program. For instance you can set the speed of tne AC motor to make the cart have a higher top end, you can have regenerative braking to different degrees, you can set the acceleration rate, etc etc. In other words you can set the carts performance criteria to a customer's preferences. There's lot of other stuff that can be done but I haven't figured it all out yet.

The neat thing is that you can do this through a dashboard plug so you can drive the cart change a parameter and test it again. The program was written by the Curtis engineers so you don't have the source code but still have a lot of control over how your cart works.

The manufacturer in China spent a lot of time making this cart a top quality product for chevy pricing. I'm sure the other compaies will catch up but this outfit is constantly improving the product to make it better and better.

It will be interesting to see what Club Car, Ez-Go and Yamaha do to match the product. I think the BIG 3 of golf carts have been caught with their pants down and now have to play catch up. Sounds familiar doesn't it.

I think the consumer market being only 10% of the total golf cart business is just a sideline for these guys. The big money is still in building basic cheap carts for the golf courses.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:59 AM   #19
GarageBuilt
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

H Janssen. You sir did not answer my quesition. Please!!!!!

I have three Curtis Controlles 48-volt 72-volt & the 96-volt. My handheld programer will work on all three. But what it won't do..Is to leet me bypass the factory rpm settings. How high you go?????????
Old 01-14-2010, 02:55 PM   #20
H Janssen
Not Yet Wild

Hi
The 1234 controller lets you set the motor speed from 100 to 8000 rpm. I'll attach the manual for you so you can go over it on your own. As I said before I'm still learning and while I am not an expert I do understand more than the typical consumer.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1234. 1236. 1238 Manual.pdf (2.37 MB, 45 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO