lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-01-2010, 06:45 AM   #11
sonicj
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 36v & 48v motor differences

word. sounds like you've done a lot of experimenting!

i told the local shop to save me a motor next time they come across one. there is another shop across town that i'll hit up sometime this week.

im ready for the cheap chinese brushless invasion to hit the golf cart scene like it did for RC! performance will go through the roof & at a fraction of the current price of a quality brushed rig.

a pair of these might be interesting in a cart: 6500w motor for $100

still out of my current price range, but much cheaper than the last time i looked at bldc 25,000w motor from kellycontroller

pic is of prototypes from scorpion power systems. mmm!
-sj
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5382.jpg (64.0 KB, 24 views)
sonicj is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-01-2010, 07:59 PM   #12
redriderno22
let it SNOW

Club Car

brushles dc motors a a ways off but

the AC system seems to be good
redriderno22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 08:56 PM   #13
sonicj
Gone Wild

Club Car

i think affordable drop-in solutions are a little ways off. it can be done now if you have the coin or the time & means to tinker.

it would be nice if these motor companies (d&d, pq) published quantifiable information for their products. ie: motor constants, efficiency, watts, etc! i don't want subjective opinions and marketing buzzwords... i want the numbers!
-sj
Old 11-02-2010, 07:17 PM   #14
redriderno22
let it SNOW

Club Car

yeah it would be nice to see numbers

but each would be diffrent, all on how you cut a duty cycle
redriderno22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 08:52 PM   #15
sonicj
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by redriderno22 View Post
yeah it would be nice to see numbers

but each would be diffrent, all on how you cut a duty cycle
thats the point of knowing the motor constants... those numbers don't change with duty cycle so you can compare apples to apples.

programs like peakeff & drive calc allow you plug in in motor constants, model parameters, cell count, etc. and see very accurately how a particular motor or a new wind will perform in your model before purchasing or rewinding. of course, no software or databases currently exist (to my knowledge) for applying a motor calculator specifically for golf carts, but you can certainly see the value of having such numbers available.

im not sure how to measure Kv on a series wound motor... the method i've always used was unloaded, but that poses the self destruct problem. voltage generation is probably the simplest solution. i'll have to do some asking around.
-sj

Last edited by sonicj; 11-02-2010 at 09:32 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 12-06-2010, 09:34 PM   #16
sonicj
Gone Wild

Club Car

score! i dropped off some aluminum cans at the scrap yard today and decided to take a browse of the yard... apparently, a local dealer recently did some fall cleaning! todays special: golf cart motors $0.25 per pound
-sj
Old 12-07-2010, 05:14 PM   #17
sonicj
Gone Wild

Club Car

the 48v motor i pulled apart had 6 turns of #8awg. (0.124", 3.25mm)

the field weighed in at 1lb 5.7oz of copper.

not sure how many turns im going to go with... gotta re-watch redriderno22's videos to see what gave up the smoke
-sj
Old 12-08-2010, 04:21 AM   #18
sonicj
Gone Wild

Club Car

5 turns of 4 parallel 14awg. i had a 5th strand i was planning to wind, but i boogered it up at the start. 4 strands = the same cross section as the original 8awg so it might be aight with stock wheels/tires. a lot of room left for copper fill! i wasn't planning on getting it right the first time anyways... just wanna learn! if this gives me the speed im after, i'll rewind my stock motor with something like 10awg x 2p or 9awg x 2p.

i was pretty impressed with the overall quality of the motor! stator lams were very thin(thats a good thing), wire seemed appropriate, brush setup looked nice, the rotor is a beast! the fragile rolled steel can was disappointing. the soft copper studs are a obvious weak point as well. plastic insulators crumbled during the teardown. the rear bearing spins nice after a thorough cleaning.

hopefully i can slap 'er in tomorrow!
-sj
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2010-12-08 02.37.01.jpg (95.8 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 2010-12-08 02.38.jpg (161.1 KB, 20 views)
Old 12-08-2010, 10:28 AM   #19
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The windings look great.

It is great to see everybody doing what they can for little Justin Lee and his Family.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/annou...irst-post.html
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:27 PM   #20
sonicj
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
The windings look great.

It is great to see everybody doing what they can for little Justin Lee and his Family.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/annou...irst-post.html
hey thanx scottyb!

this alcatel magnet wire i picked up from the LMS appears to be the bomb! normally with my smaller motors i use a small torch to char the enamel which makes it much easier to strip. a minute or so with the butane torch didn't even phase it! had to use a razor & my dremel to efficiently remove it. this insulation is tough stuff! i'll to try to locate some data on it to find the breakdown temps. my guess is that its pretty high...

btw, i bought some headlights generously donated by rabbitreborn for the Justin Lee fundraiser. Anyone reading this who hasn't checked out the thread should give it a look!
-sj
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car