lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-05-2011, 06:30 AM   #21
scubabud
Ban Puppy Mills & Stores!

Club Car

Default Re: converting 2007 precedent to 8 volt batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripdis85 View Post
the conversion kit comes with a new OBC anyway right?
Yes it does
scubabud is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-05-2011, 10:42 AM   #22
cartboy
Gone Wild

I'm still trying to find out how this conversion idea came about. Is it something CC initiated? Or?

cartboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 06:07 PM   #23
carguy
Gone Wild

Club Car

Smile Re: converting 2007 precedent to 8 volt batteries

To the best of my knowledge, CC came up with the conversion because they were not happy with the run time of the 4 - 12 batteries. At this time I believe CC is the only business that has a conversion kit.

And yes, it is possible to do the conversion without a kit. However, I would prefer that all my batteries have a bottom plate or tub that would secure them AND some sort of mecanical device(s) to hold them down. I am an old (heavy on the old) telephone company tech and engineer. I have seen what tipped over/broken batteries can do - it's not pretty. Then once the batteries are in, they need new cables and the wiring needs to be run to the new location of the electronic panel. 'Prolly not brain surgery, but if there is a kit with all new factory wiring why not use it?

My .02 worth.

Have fun, Dave
carguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 09:47 AM   #24
cartboy
Gone Wild

What about fleets? Did CC do a switchover for golf course lease fleets?
Old 03-06-2011, 04:06 PM   #25
shortspark
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I have a 2006 Precedent with four 12v battery system. I got lucky and just before the four year warranty ran out in Jan. 2010, they replaced the four Trojans and installed the OBC. The dealer said CC had lots of trouble and most of his Precedent models have had the batteries replaced under warranty (maybe Trojan got feed up with this and told CC to get someone else which they did because the replacement batteries I got were US Battery). I have come to learn that US Battery is as least as good as Trojan.

A couple months ago I found I could not go but 12 or 13 holes on my course without the amber charge light coming on. I was always able to complete the round and make it home with no trouble but that light bothered me. I brought it to the dealer who said the batteries appeared weak. Make a long story short, they had to be "topped off" a couple of times and equalized. Now all is well as my discharge readings are around 12.57 and charged readings are at 12.76, give or take.

The point of all this is why do these carts have this trouble to begin with? I mean, golf carts have been using four 12v for years have they not, or is this something new? New technology both by CC and the battery companies should make things better, not worse. That they had to go back to a six battery system tells me they could not solve the four battery problem, whatever the cause of the problem was, and people like me have to consider this rather expensive conversion as a possible alternative. That is not saying much for CC.
shortspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 04:39 PM   #26
carguy
Gone Wild

Club Car

Shortspark,

I agree with you 100%.

Our car was lease from club car, then a dealer boght it for resale, and then we purchased the car. So to my way of thinking we are first owner. The car was under 4 years old and I approached Club Car about helping with the battery problem and was told: "we are not going to help". It took me months, and many emails/phone calls to get the MSO from CC so I could license it.

Why CC and/or Trojan couldn't find a solution to the battery problem is beyond me.

Club Car is noncaring and irresponsible.
Old 03-08-2011, 01:51 PM   #27
cartboy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartboy View Post
What about fleets? Did CC do a switchover for golf course lease fleets?
There is a plethora of unofficial chatter on the Internet saying six 8-volt batteries are better than four 12-volt ones. But very few in an official capacity who have stepped up and admitted that.

That makes it problematic when you have a fleet of carts with the four 12-volt Trojan system and widespread battery failure after just two years.

What I am trying to establish is when CC replaced all the batteries in a another fleet I worked with, which would have been between the 2008 and 2009 season (possibly the year before), when we were not having any battery problems, if that's what they did, went from four 12s to six 8s.

That was one of those things I didn't pay attention to that now I know I should have. That fleet lease was over and they were replaced with new carts last year, so I can't go look.
- - - - - -
I just found online where carts from that fleet are for sale. They are 2006s, and it says the batteries were replaced in 2008. So, for whatever reason, the originals did not last long. I worked with that fleet for one or maybe two years before the battery replacement, and we never had any problems with them.
Old 03-12-2011, 09:37 AM   #28
cartboy
Gone Wild

Quote:
What I am trying to establish is when CC replaced all the batteries in a another fleet I worked with, which would have been between the 2008 and 2009 season (possibly the year before), when we were not having any battery problems, if that's what they did, went from four 12s to six 8s.
I played golf there the other day and spoke to a guy I worked with during the battery replacement, who now is King of the Cart Barn. He said they left them 4 12s. He said CC has switched from Trojan to US to another one. He said none of them are true deep-cycle batteries.

He was full of information because the day before he had been to CC school, and that was a major topic.
Old 03-12-2011, 12:07 PM   #29
cartboy
Gone Wild

There is a company in Mexico, Missouri offering a conversion kit they say they make.
Old 03-12-2011, 12:56 PM   #30
carguy
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
There is a company in Mexico, Missouri offering a conversion kit they say they make.
And the name of this company would be? . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car