lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-02-2011, 02:12 PM   #1
Colbyntx
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default 08 Precedent with bad OBC?

My 08 Precedent with the 4X12 setup will not take a full charge with my powerdrive2 charger. It cuts off around 52V's. I guess this would be my OBC is bad? You can't reset this one can you? The batteries seem OK for being stock blacktop Trojans. Still concedering the swap to 6X8 but in the mean time, Can I hook an auto 12V charger to each battery after I run the powerdrive2 charger to see what they will get up to and hold. After a charge and the batteries settle, they drop to around 49.8V's which still runs a round of golf no problem.

Thanks
Colbyntx is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-02-2011, 03:14 PM   #2
gaminde
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 08 Precedent with bad OBC?

Ok!! Ill bite what do you expect it to do??
gaminde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 03:18 PM   #3
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

i don,t know that i would say thats an OBC ..............is the charger running normal other than voltage won,t go above 52 volts?.......in most cases when the OBC goes bad the cart either won,t charge at all the charger won,t come on or the charger won,t shut off and it boils the batteries.......the latter of the 2 happens very rarely...............i have very little dealings with the 12 volt setup so i guess i could be wrong and maybe one of the guys who knows more about the setup will add to the thread...................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 05:20 PM   #4
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Im sorry but I would look long and hard at your batterys conditions before condeming the charger or OBC? If batterys are oringinal you have 3 or more year old 12 volt batterys that do not last like 6 or 8 volt batterys? If your charger is shutting off on its own and not at the end of 16 hour max your batterys sound on last legs?
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 09:17 PM   #5
Colbyntx
Gone Wild

Club Car

Yes MEC, I know its about time for batteries but I thought the charger would carry it to the 58-60Vs before it shuts off. It has never run the full 16 hours before it shuts off but it does turn off around 52v's. I had sent Trojan an e-mail last year about these batteries and they did say that CC had an issue with the OBC shutting off the charger too early on this model. Don't know if thats true or not but thats what they said. Ideally I would love to convert to the 6X8 setup but that will be a minimum of $1000.00! I just bought a set of US 8V's today but they are for my regen1 to series rebuild. If it alll blows up then I will get the conversion and slap them in the precedent. Is there a way to thes this OBC without a new set of 12's?
Old 05-03-2011, 07:52 AM   #6
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

I have never heard of a OBC problem with your year but down here we dont see many Precedents that late a model ( Pop majority very low income and tight fisted Winter Texans ). I do know that I would trust Trojan on what they say.
If you have some extra battery cables or jumper cables you might try hooking you 8 volt battery pack to the unhooked 12 volt cable connections and see for yourself if OBC acts the same? You MUST DO PROPER SHUT DOWN AND RECONNECT AS OWNERS MANUAL STATES OR YOU CAN DO DAMAGE TO PRECEDENT ELECTRONICS?
Old 05-03-2011, 08:58 AM   #7
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

I think the black top trojans , are refurbished trojans ? is this correct ?
GLEEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 02:21 PM   #8
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

If the black top Trojans are refurbished there sure was alot of new CC shipped into local dealer with those batterys? They may have redone them after use on golf courses as any one can BUT I may be wrong?
HOW ABOUT THAT TAHOEDAWGZ71?
Old 05-03-2011, 08:40 PM   #9
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...ut-trojan.html
GLEEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 09:37 PM   #10
Colbyntx
Gone Wild

Club Car

Thanks MEC and GLEEMO. I hope the OBC is good! I don't trust Trojan on that either. I know the batteries will need replacing soon but if I charge each of the 4 batteries with a 12V charger and it takes them up to a higher voltage, could it be a OBC issue? Even with weak batteries shouldn't the charger carry them over 52Vs at the end of the cycle? It is not running the full 16 hours before it shuts off.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car