lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-10-2013, 10:20 PM   #11
JcXtreme72
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Motor Burned down 05 PDS

Johnnie I see you reply to a lot of posts and you always help people out. You really know what you are talking about. What the heck do you do for a living?
JcXtreme72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-11-2013, 04:07 AM   #12
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryH View Post
You should check with D&D. They will have a torque motor for your PDS. I run a D&D speed and torque motor on my PDS. It's been bullet proof and I'm not kind to it.

http://www.ddmotorsystems.com/
Agreed +1
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:20 AM   #13
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JcXtreme72 View Post
Johnnie I see you reply to a lot of posts and you always help people out. You really know what you are talking about. What the heck do you do for a living?
Retired Clinical Engineer with 50+ years maintaining electronic and electrical devices.
Joined Air Force to avoid getting drafted into Army, but still got shot at and collected a little shrapnel.
I started out in communications electronics, then got into COMINT, SIGINT and ELINT with a little ECM and Counter-ECM mixed in.
After 10 years, I crossed over to Bio-Medical Equipment Repair and ended up teaching Troubleshooting before entering the civilian job market for a lot better salary.
Got into managing clinical engineering operations in multiple hospitals, and picked up on some accounting, regulatory and legal stuff along the way.

Fortunately, my existing skills, knowledge and experience blends well with what makes golf carts tick, but I am still learning about them also.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:01 PM   #14
budracer1
Not Yet Wild

Ok I have a whole new set of problems now, My brother has the same cart I do, and just to be sure it was my motor that was bad, I pulled his motor and put it in my cart and ran perfect, So i put the motor back in his cart wired everything back up and it wouldnt go forward at all but would go in reverse, so I took the cover back off the back to check my wiring, and the motor was very hot and I only moved a total of 5 feet, so what did i tear up on his cart and how?

I disconnected batteries on both carts before doing anything and I didnt reconnect them until all wiring was complete, If I have burned up his controller, I may just be out the golf cart business for a long while..

I called scottyb but he wasnt able to get to the phone and Im waiting on a call back.

any ideas....if you had rather talk on the phone PM me a number and Ill call.

thanks JB
budracer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:32 PM   #15
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

You didn't mention flipping Run/Tow switch to Tow while disconnecting/reconnecting wires.
If you didn't, it may have blown one or both controllers.

-----------
Does the solenoid click when pedal is pushed?
Old 04-11-2013, 05:40 PM   #16
budracer1
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
You didn't mention flipping Run/Tow switch to Tow while disconnecting/reconnecting wires.
If you didn't, it may have blown one or both controllers.

-----------
Does the solenoid click when pedal is pushed?
It clicks somewhat, I was just feeling the controller and solenoid for heat and the little diode/resistor that goes between the two big post on the solenoid is hotter than.... Well it's very hot!

Yes both carts were put in tow and batteries disconnected.

Thanks JB
Old 04-11-2013, 05:51 PM   #17
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Measure the voltage on the solenoids controller side main terminal when the solenoid is energized.

It should be identical with the voltage on the Battery side main terminal.

If not, the solenoid's contacts are not closing.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:59 PM   #18
budracer1
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Measure the voltage on the solenoids controller side main terminal when the solenoid is energized.

It should be identical with the voltage on the Battery side main terminal.

If not, the solenoid's contacts are not closing.
I may need a picture on that step.... I'm off to the race shop for now to work on things that I actually know what I'm doing, because apparently golf carts are not my specialty

I will be check this as soon as I get home and report back
Old 04-12-2013, 03:49 PM   #19
budracer1
Not Yet Wild

Ok so I checked solenoid and all was well there and just to be sure I put my heavy duty solenoid on his controller but all was the same, except I did notice with key off and switch in tow mode the resistor got to about 250 degrees in about 10 seconds.

I went back to check continuity on motor wires and with motor hooked up to the cart there was full continuity between A1 and A2 and there was continuity between f1 and f2, however when checking between the As and Fs there was also continuity but none between any stud to the case.....So I removed the motor from the cart and then there was no continuity between the As and Fs any more.

I then just checked wires going from motor back to controller and there is continuity between As and Fs ,so what does that mean?

thanks again for the support.

JB
Old 04-14-2013, 05:58 AM   #20
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

I'm not sure how R&R the motor in you brother's cart could have blown the controller or what a bad controller in your cart could have done to his motor that would have caused it to blow his controller when his motor was reinstalled in his cart, but that is what I suspect has happened.

His motor ran in your cart, so you may just need a motor.
His motor will no longer runs right in his cart, but it did run in your cart, so he may just need a controller.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO