lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Closed Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 11:24 PM   #1
normo
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default 22-24 mph on street please

Hello, I live in Misson Beach and my sweetie (babe) and Hank (french bulldog) and I (normal dude) love to tool around the beach on our golf cart visiting the sites, eateries, and friends. However, we have gotten to the point where we would like to get from point A to B a little quicker. Hence the need for some suggestions on quickening up the rig. Here are my facts:

2008 EZGO PDS. Stock motor, Curtis PMC (73326G07). 5 inch lift with 22x11.00x10 tires ( off-roadish type). Speed chip. Back seat with flat bed fold-out. 36v.

Current speed test (full charge): 0-15 mph in 8 seconds (flat surface). 18 mph on flat street. 20 mph on 3% decline. 16 mph on 3% incline.

Batteries: Trojan 105 Mileage Masters stamped "U06H9". 6g wires.

Full charge 38.4v After 30 min drivining 37.7v
Battery 1 6.40 6.31
2 6.42 6.33
3 6.44 6.35
4 6.37 6.26
5 6.37 6.25
6 6.35 6.20

Your ideas would be greatly appreciated. I'm new here, so forgive me if I left out something important. Thanks.
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-24-2013, 01:10 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 22-24 mph on street please

Welcome to BGW!

Mathematically, You should be getting close to 23MPH on level ground with 22" tires and a speed chip, but 6Ga high current cables and imbalanced battery pack are probably holding you back some.

In the Freedom mode, the PDS controller limits the motor to about 4,400RPM, which is about 19MPH on stock height (18") tires.
The 22" tire will give you about 20% more speed and about 20% less torque.
However, it takes more amps to turn the tall tires and the bad cables and sick batteries aren't provide it.

On the other hand, the power losses in the system is probably keeping the stock PDS controller from burning out. (20" tires are about all they can handle)

---------
There should be a two digit date code stamped in the negative terminals of the batteries. IE: H9 would be Aug-2009.

You might be able to equalize the batteries and get some more use out of them. (They really don't look all that bad except #6 and it might perk up a bit with some TLC)

-----------
You need a higher amp rated controller to turn those tall tires and aftermarket controllers don't limit motor RPM.
With an Alltrax DCX400PDS controller, a 200A continuous solenoid and 4ga cables (all 10 of them), you should get into the mid-20's, or higher, with those 22" tires.

I went with heavier gauge cable and a Super-Duty solenoid, but I'm an efficiency nut.

Scottyb has a pretty good overview of how to upgrade based on what you want the end product to do. http://www.cartsunlimited.net/Custom_Options.html
Old 04-24-2013, 12:11 PM   #3
normo
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks JohnnieB! I checked ScottyB's stuff and I think I'll go that way. A couple of follow up questions though:

So there might be a chance that the batteries get closer to a balanced state with a new set of cables that makes me clean and tighten all the connections? But for now, batteries would be better to determine after the controller/solenoid/cables upgrade?

With the suggested upgrade, if later I want to upgrade the motor, are there motors that will match with that controller/solenoid/cables upgrade?
Old 04-24-2013, 12:53 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by normo View Post
1. So there might be a chance that the batteries get closer to a balanced state with a new set of cables that makes me clean and tighten all the connections? But for now, batteries would be better to determine after the controller/solenoid/cables upgrade?

2. With the suggested upgrade, if later I want to upgrade the motor, are there motors that will match with that controller/solenoid/cables upgrade?
1. You can go to work on the batteries as is. Using a car battery charger, charge the ones with the lower voltages. If you can lay your hands on a 6V charger, great.

Charge the pack with your 36V charger and then give the lower voltage batteries an additional 3-4 hours with the 6V charger. You don't have to disconnect the interconnecting cables, just connect the + & - cables from the 6V charger to the + & - posts of the battery you want to boost.

If you don't have a 6V charger, use a 12V charger and charge two 6V batteries in series.

2, Yes. Also, many people just send their stock motor to Plum Quick and let them do their magic on it. http://www.plumquick.com/
Old 04-24-2013, 01:06 PM   #5
normo
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Nice!! I'll post an update on the outcomes.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:09 AM   #6
Dela
EZ come EZ go

Club Car

Go to 48 volts and never look back (unless you're waving to your 36v friends)

Well worth the investment and time, especially the way you're using the cart.
Old 04-25-2013, 12:15 PM   #7
normo
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Going with:

Alltrax DCX400PDS controller. 400a super duty solenoid for possible 42 or 48 volt upgrade later for when the need for more speed/power in my new goal ("but Captain, I'm givin you all the power she's got!). 4ga cables.

Again my goal at this time is to not be the slowest (18mph) vehicle in the 25mph zones where I live.
Old 04-27-2013, 11:59 AM   #8
Jerj7907
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

48 volts and wave to everyone as you speed thru the 25 mph zone.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:48 PM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

In a PDS cart 42v is none too shabby either. But bottom line is this cart will do 24mph on 36v on the flats with our pkg #808 installed.
Old 04-27-2013, 09:07 PM   #10
as350pilot
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Or go 48v, 23" tires, Alltrax DCX400, 4ga cables, and a Plum Quick bandit, and you can get a speeding ticket in a 30mph zone....

Without my rear seat installed I hit 37mph, with the seat on I am consistently getting 35mph.
Closed Thread
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO