lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-30-2013, 03:22 PM   #1
Big Jack
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Intermittent solenoid problem: Help?

Hello!
I own a 97 48v DS that, on a stock set, ran perfectly. I upgraded the controller, solenoid, and F/R switch ( also resistor & diode) using a 500-amp package recommended by a sponsor of this site.
On my 1st run, with batteries on 3/4 charge, it ran perfectly. After charging overnight, it now has what I think is a solenoid problem. When the pedal is fully pressed, the solenoid rapidly clicks several times and I get no movement. If I depress the pedal 1/4-1/2, it usually, but not always, starts as it should and then accepts full pedal.
Does anyone recognize this problem?
Big Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-30-2013, 03:34 PM   #2
Golfdog
Gone Wild

Default Re: Intermittent solenoid problem: Help?

What model controller have you installed
Golfdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 04:01 PM   #3
Big Jack
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

So here is the package:
#585 (Altrax?) 500-amp controller
#5770 HD F/R switch
#30912 400/1,000 solenoid
3-amp diode
200ohm resistor

What bugs me is that it's 1st test drive was flawless over +-4 miles. I charged it overnight and it doesn't consistently go when pedaled.
Old 08-30-2013, 05:48 PM   #4
Big Jack
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

So, upon closer exam, the cable from the F/R switch is fully tightened, but still has some play between the contact and the post screw. I suppose that could be the weak link... Perhaps a good spot for a lock washer?
Old 08-30-2013, 08:57 PM   #5
Big Jack
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Another question: with the upgrade package, can the speed be adjusted or is this a motor-only function?
Old 08-31-2013, 02:45 PM   #6
Golfdog
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Jack View Post
Another question: with the upgrade package, can the speed be adjusted or is this a motor-only function?
The controller 585 is not, I don't think, an Alltrax. I see a reference to that # as being a 500a series controller and if that is true then the only way to get more speed is with more volts not amps. Amps will give torque. There is a post recently that deals with fitting an after controller voltage boost to a series motor system. May be the way to go as long as you have a series system.
Old 09-02-2013, 01:09 PM   #7
Big Jack
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

That's what I thought, thanks for the confirmation.
What is your opinion of my intermittent solenoid to controller to motor problem?
There are many times when I depress the pedal that the solenoid clicks but does not engage the motor.
Old 09-02-2013, 02:52 PM   #8
Golfdog
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Jack View Post
That's what I thought, thanks for the confirmation.
What is your opinion of my intermittent solenoid to controller to motor problem?
There are many times when I depress the pedal that the solenoid clicks but does not engage the motor.
I had a similar issue with an Alltrax NPX400amp controller that turned out to be the HPD (High pedal disable) function in the controller. Not sure whether your controller has that function but I effectively disabled mine by disconnecting the red wire to the #1 spade terminal on the controller and connecting a wire from that spade directly to the blue wire from the key switch(between the key switch and the pedal micro switch). The controller is now powered up when you turn on the key and the pedal micro switch just controls power to the accelerator function.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:31 PM   #9
Big Jack
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Problem Resolved!
So, when no loose connections were found in the 4-G leads, I began looking closely at the smaller wire connections to and from the solenoid. The connections to the posts were tight, but 2 of the wires were somewhat loose inside their fittings. When I removed them from the solenoid post and repressed the fittings to their wires, viola, the problem was no more!
Thanks to those who posted ideas & experience!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car