lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-25-2013, 06:59 PM   #21
kvl1027
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Solar Panel and Aux Battery Combo

Just some more info and questions.

Here is my overall plan. I'm going to be running lights, Head Unit, 2 speakers, 1 sub, amp, and maybe some "mood" lighting.

I need suggestions for a good aux battery that would power all of these. I'm giving up on the solar option and going with an onboard charger that can deliver at least 8amps.

I'm a dummy when it comes to electronics. I know what I want, but I dont know how to do it. I love this place, because you guys can do the thinking for me.
kvl1027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-25-2013, 07:01 PM   #22
Storm S
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvl1027 View Post
With that being a 2 bank charger, can I just hook it up to one battery? What do I do with the other bank connections? Sorry for the noob questions, when it comes to the electrical side, I'm not too sharp.
the second bank you can simply cap off they are not needed. The charger senses that you need more amperage to 1 connection or the other. If you only connect to one bank it will output a full 12 amps to that one battery.
Storm S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 08:17 PM   #23
Wylie_Tunes
Getting Wild

Quote:
Just some more info and questions.

Here is my overall plan. I'm going to be running lights, Head Unit, 2 speakers, 1 sub, amp, and maybe some "mood" lighting.

I need suggestions for a good aux battery that would power all of these. I'm giving up on the solar option and going with an onboard charger that can deliver at least 8amps.

I'm a dummy when it comes to electronics. I know what I want, but I dont know how to do it. I love this place, because you guys can do the thinking for me.
How long you want to run these, will dictate the size (Ah) of the battery. Since the battery will be 100% dependent on the charger, the battery will likely see some deep cycles. This will steer your choice of charger. To light of a charger on too large (Ah) of a battery, and the charger will be worked hard.
Wylie_Tunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 08:31 PM   #24
kvl1027
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wylie_Tunes View Post
How long you want to run these, will dictate the size (Ah) of the battery. Since the battery will be 100% dependent on the charger, the battery will likely see some deep cycles. This will steer your choice of charger. To light of a charger on too large (Ah) of a battery, and the charger will be worked hard.
I can't imagine all of the accessories running together for more than 1-2 hours ever, and that might only be in a once a year situation.

Typically, its just going to be the radio and speakers when I play golf and it will be at low volume, but for about 2.5 - 4 hrs.

So you think 30Ah will make the cut?
Old 09-25-2013, 09:10 PM   #25
Wylie_Tunes
Getting Wild

Quote:
I can't imagine all of the accessories running together for more than 1-2 hours ever, and that might only be in a once a year situation.

Typically, its just going to be the radio and speakers when I play golf and it will be at low volume, but for about 2.5 - 4 hrs.

You need to add up the potential current draw of all the accessories. From there, you can see how many Ah you need to meet the goal. Lighting is easy, its current draw is consistent when its on. Audio gear on the other hand, is not. Its draw, mainly the amp, will fluctuate with music type and volume. Even then, its an estimate at best. The head-unit will draw a couple amps, since its internal amp will not be used. The external amp will be your biggest consumer. The easiest way to get a ballpark, is to add up the amp's internal fusing, then divide x 2. This will give you a close figure on what the amps average amp draw will be.
Wylie_Tunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:47 PM   #26
Storm S
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:

You have to add up your draw to find out. For example 55 watt headlight bulbs draw 4.5 amps each. Two head lights that is 9 amps of draw. a 30Ah battery divided by 9 amps says you will get 3.33 hours before your battery is depleted. Audio fluxuates but you can average for example a head unit draws about 5 amps on normal use. Golf range you can prolly use 4 amps. The amplifier as Wylie stated is the hungriest. Lets say your amplifier has a 15 amp fuse. You can guess at a normal listening level you will draw about 7.5 amps. 7.5 amps PLUS the 4 amps for the head unit is 11.5 amps. 30Ah divided by 11.5 draw gives you 2.6 hours (without headlights on).
Storm S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 03:30 PM   #27
kvl1027
Getting Wild

Club Car

So has anyone here installed a rear bucket harness on an 2008.5 precedent. The instructions are minimal at best and I'm a little confused about the best way to route the wires from the battery tub to the rear RT & LT tail lights.

I want to go ahead and hook up the lights to run off my pack and I'll install the Aux battery and radio/speakers at a later date. I was thinking about going without an AMP and sub for now. If I want to add that later, I can throw another AUX batt in the bagwell and use it exclusively for the AMP and SUB.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car