lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Closed Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 06:31 AM   #11
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Quick electrical question - looking for 12v

. . . at ease, gents . . .
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-23-2014, 08:35 AM   #12
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote. I had no intent on starting a conversation down this road, however I won't stand aside while someone makes accusations as you did in your previous post. End Quote

I stand by what I said about mis information. There is plenty of it being spread by mouth & posted on the internet. We see it everyday. Your industry 'experts' have found what cart manufactures found and you advocate it. If you practice it that's your business, if you post it on this website, it becomes our business. And we are going to respond.

I want to point out that Club Car used a 16 to 12v reducer for many years in their 6/8v packs. This device draws 12v power for lighting etc. off of the two 8v batteries located under the drivers seat. Ask any technician which 2 batteries fail first in a 48v Club Car DS and they will tell you that the 2 under the drivers seat with the lights connected to them fail first, often leading to early replacement of the pack.
Ezgo did the same thing in the Freedom models and the batteries that supplied 12v died first. It stands to reason this would happen.

And here is how it happens. The additional draw is depleting these 2 batteries more than the other 4. The pack becomes imbalanced. 4 of the batteries are at about the same voltage and 2 are slightly lower voltage, due to the additional draw. The additional use does no damage. The problem is in the recharging. The charger does not see individual batteries. It only sees a sum total, as charging progresses the 4 come up to the manufactures recommended finish voltage BEFORE the 2 that were drawn down lower. These two just need more time to completely recharge since all of the batteries in the pack receive an EQUAL amount of amperage during the recharge cycle. At this point 4 are finished and 2 are still finished voltage. The charger is looking only for a cut off number based upon all batteries being equal. It keeps charging and ultimately sees the cut off total voltage to end the cycle but we have 4 batteries that have been brought up above manufactures recommended peak voltage and 2 batteries that have not been completely recharged. Battery Manufactures like Trojan Battery Company say that over and under charging are two conditions that lead to reduced useful life in a battery.

The other statement you made was that corrosion protection doesn't work. I let that one slide but we can address that one next if you like.
I don't sell corrosion protection but, I do have plenty of experience with many types that all work when PROPERLY applied. And I can explain how & why they work.
Old 08-23-2014, 08:41 AM   #13
CImpala95
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Wow. That escalated quickly.

Alright, so in summary, the light kit runs off just one battery then. If I tap into the same power source, I will be running off just one battery. Fine for a security system, but if I start adding more accessories with higher draws, I should get the reducer to play it safe.

Thanks for those details on where the connections are made, stang99x!

I have my solution. Wiring begins TODAY.

Thanks!
Old 08-23-2014, 09:24 AM   #14
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by CImpala95 View Post
Wow. That escalated quickly.

Alright, so in summary, the light kit runs off just one battery then. If I tap into the same power source, I will be running off just one battery. Fine for a security system, but if I start adding more accessories with higher draws, I should get the reducer to play it safe.

Thanks for those details on where the connections are made, stang99x!

I have my solution. Wiring begins TODAY.

Thanks!
That is correct -
Old 08-23-2014, 09:28 AM   #15
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

To keep things "civil" on a public forum... this thread is closed!
Closed Thread

Tags
12v tap
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car