lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-16-2012, 11:09 PM   #1
aron
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default 1990 ezgo 2 stroke

i have a 1990 ezgo 2 stroke golf cart, when i press the gas it wont do anything, let off and hit the pedal agin it will take off. some times you have to do this a couple of times to go.
aron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 07:17 AM   #2
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1990 ezgo 2 stroke

Hello Aron and welcome to the forum. Your problem could be several things but it is most likely to be a poor ground connection or a sticky solenoid.

If you trace the battery negative you will see it goes to a ground on the frame. Disconnect this and clean the frame to bare metal, clean the cable lugs and reconnect. There should be a total of three cables attached to this point. If this doesn't cure the problem then you should look at the solenoid. Give it a few gentle taps with the handle of a screwdriver and see if that helps. If not do you have a voltmeter? If you do we can quickly test the operation or you could simply rule it out by getting a new one. If you buy a new one make sure it is the correct part, an auto starter solenoid will not work.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 09:31 AM   #3
aron
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

i done the negative wires and cleaned them really good, took it out in the yard and stoped and the same thing but this time i can not get it to move. i tryed tapping on the selenoid and didnt help
Old 06-17-2012, 10:41 AM   #4
aron
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

i left it setting for a little bit tapped the selenoid with a hammer and started running agin
Old 06-17-2012, 12:37 PM   #5
Woodchiper
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Good ole hammer! Never fails. I had to replace the switch that the accel. Connects to in frt of the motor. Worked great for a little while then started doing it again. Thought I would spray it with the next best thing WD40. I'll let you know tomorrow when we get to the lake.
Woodchiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 10:30 AM   #6
aron
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

i have rebuilt the starter generator, new selenoid . my cart does not want to start on the compression stroke. i can turn the motor over by hand to get past compression and it will take right off. any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 06-23-2012, 01:22 PM   #7
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

Welcome!!Check your battery-condition,It might be too low on voltage or amps to crank it properly.If you don't know anyone with a tester,take it to an Auto-Parts or Battery store,they can test it for you.Make sure the starter-belt is tight enough too,If it slips,it won't turn it past compression.If anyone is swapping-out Starter-Solenoids,make sure you buy a Continuous-Duty Solenoid(Snow-Plow,Lift-Gate,Etc...)Not a Starter-Solenoid,it will fry in less than 5-min. of continuous use.Hope this helps.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 03:08 PM   #8
aron
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

i got the right solenoid, put a new battery in on monday of this , battery is dead i guess i have something running battery down or starter generator is not charging. how can i check my starter generator to see if its charging . thanks for all the help
Old 06-23-2012, 04:18 PM   #9
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

Charge the battery,test the voltage at the terminals.Then jack up the cart,put the rear on stands.Start the cart and recheck the voltage at the battery.It should be at least 13volts and climbing as it runs.If not,test the battery,it copuld have a bad cell,which will cause a draw,poor charging,and constantly dead battery.If the Battery is ok,then you have a wiring,voltage-regulator issue,or,generator issue.Verify the battery is ok before assuming the worst.1 bad connection can mess up everything.Check every connection you can find,not just the batt-cables.Any corrosion can stop or restrict current-flow.Hope this helps.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 02:50 PM   #10
aron
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

i think you are right, with the cart jacked up, i have 13 volts i press the gas and it gradually drop. i hooked up my battery charger and after charging i have no problems but the more i start and stop the worse it gets. i just had my starter generator rebuilt i dont understand unless i got a junkey rebuild
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO