lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-25-2021, 08:14 AM   #1
Brandon.delaney12
Not Yet Wild

Default EZGO TXT throttle response

Recently Purchased a 1997 EZGO TXT gas. when starting off from a stop, the cart hops out of the gate pretty good, which is dangerous for my little guys in the back seat. at top speed it's nice and smooth. but at low speed it tends to jerk a lot, and almost sounds like a backfire sort of screech noise, it's tough to keep it steady as the throttle response is zippy and every bump makes your foot move on the foot pedal, and the cart responds to it. the throttle cable has a bit of slop to it where it connects to the rear spring. also the carburetor screw, NOT the idle screw, is all the way in? not sure where my first adjustment or where I should focus my efforts with adjustments.
Brandon.delaney12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-25-2021, 08:23 AM   #2
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZGO TXT throttle response

if the carb butterfly is opening before the pedal switch activates, this will be your issue. You may need to adjust the cables, the pedal box that activates the switch ( found under the rubber mat in a plastic box) and also remove the idle screw, you dont need it as the cart does not idle. It may be holding the butterfly open. details can be found and downloaded in the maintenance manuals in the tech section.
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 09:53 AM   #3
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

carb 2.jpg
See screw in the red circle...make sure it it backed out all the way and the throttle linkage is up against the carb body stop. Anything short of that, the carb is open and putting fuel into the intake when the pedal is not depressed, and will cause your issue. If the screw is all the way out, make sure nothing else is holding the linkage from returning all the way to the stop. Post a close up picture of this side of the carb and the linkages.
JPonLKN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 08:49 PM   #4
Brandon.delaney12
Not Yet Wild

Thank-you. the arm never returns to the stop. The idle screw was down a bit. So I backed it all the way off. I also made sure the micro switch picked up before the butterfly opened up and it did. Which arm do I adjust to allow it to spring back. I lubed it up with Wd-40 and worked it a bunch of times but won’t return.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0DEA0824-813D-43C4-999E-781A65C43AAD.jpg (178.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-26-2021, 04:49 AM   #5
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

Don't know if this is your trouble but the linkage that runs in front of the timing cover has a little piece of cable in the center of it, make sure it has a little droop to it (slack), not adjusted too tight.
StoveBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 05:06 AM   #6
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Oops, I overlooked that one LOL. I would still also remove the idle stop screw too, they have a habit of working loose and winding themselves in. It is not needed at all.
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 07:09 AM   #7
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

If you take the black clip off the throttle linkage right at the carburetor does the throttle linkage return to the idle screw? I'm curious if something in the series of arms and linkages are holding it open or if it's something in the carburetor keeping it from closing throttle
Old 08-26-2021, 07:17 AM   #8
Brandon.delaney12
Not Yet Wild

I will check that out this afternoon. I did notice that the one horizontal link doesn't have much sag to it. So i wonder if that is too tight and holding it back. I can force it up it will hold. then when pedal is pushed it returns to the slightly open position. this afternoon I will remove it and see. If it does return, I guess I'll try and lengthen that horizontal link and see if that is the culprit?
Old 08-26-2021, 08:32 AM   #9
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon.delaney12 View Post
I will check that out this afternoon. I did notice that the one horizontal link doesn't have much sag to it. So i wonder if that is too tight and holding it back. I can force it up it will hold. then when pedal is pushed it returns to the slightly open position. this afternoon I will remove it and see. If it does return, I guess I'll try and lengthen that horizontal link and see if that is the culprit?
Yeah, its one of two things, either the spring won't return it, which I doubt, or there is something that is holding it open...just need to work your way back from the carb link connection. I wonder if the governor and throttle linkage at the rear end has been "adjusted" and the return is only compression of the governor spring.
Old 08-26-2021, 01:27 PM   #10
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Don't forget the throttle plate inside the carb, If it loosens and turns it will hold the throttle open.
It is usually the other things first but I did have one where the screw came loose and it turned.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
response, throttle
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO