lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-07-2023, 08:18 PM   #1
lathon1973
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Which Lithium Battery to get???

I have a 2007 TXT it is 48 volts and needs batteries. i want to go to lithium but need to keep cost as low as possible. I was looking to get batteries that I could add to to get the Ah I need but could go ahead and get the cart going now.
was looking at Epoch, Big Battery, and Allied battery kits starting out wit 60 Ah then when possible (in less than a year) add to to go 90 Ah or 120 Ah(if needed) is one better than the other?
lathon1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-08-2023, 03:25 PM   #2
BisonGolf
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Which Lithium Battery to get???

I have Allied and have had them for 4 or 5 years. Mine are 60 ah. If I had to do it over, I would have bought the largest AH I could afford. Buy the 90 or 120 AH now.
BisonGolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 04:36 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

It is wiser to buy a larger single battery than many smaller batteries.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 04:46 PM   #4
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I strongly recommend a single battery - and I never recommend less than 100AH.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 07:02 PM   #5
SolarRat
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

I paid $1000 for two used-but-new 48v 30ah Relion Insight's. Normally they are $1300 each. Not a cheap option, but the 60ah is true and it gets me about 40 miles of range on my 10kw AC cart, plenty for my needs. More batteries can be added at any time (I can fit 6). The two can pump out 800amps burst and 400amps continuous which is plenty even for my big motor. Night and day throttle response and acceleration difference from the lead acids they replaced.

The Relion's are great but overpriced. And I probably wont buy them for my next cart, only because the BMS turns the output off after 24 hours, and that messes with my cart's radio and clock settings, not to mention my controller loses it's "self learning" properties after a week. A large capacitor can probably solve this.

If I was upgrading a cart that is not too picky about output voltage (12,13,14 cells for LI-ONS, 15, 16, 17 cells for LFP)) I'd probably go with a used EV battery from a place like https://batteryhookup.com/ ...their inventory changes all the time. In-depth lithium battery knowledge is important if you go this route, and you'll probably have to add your own BMS. Still, by far it can be the cheapest option.

Using multiple 48v batteries in parallel is fine, but when you add 4 12v lithium batteries together in series to make 48v you'll probably have problems with the 100a BMS in most of those batteries when you floor it or go up a big hill.
SolarRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 07:04 AM   #6
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

if you open to diy your costs can drop dramatically. battery hookup like mentioned above has great deals but they sell quick. I bought my lifepo4 cells from aliexpress and built a 90ah pack with a 300acontinuous 600amp max bms for under $900. I have not capacity tested the cells yet but the battery has been performing flawlessly. others have built similar packs using 105ah cells which can be found at multiple places for about $60 each with stock in the states

My cells took 2 months to arrive.
https://buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=188399
augiedoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 08:05 AM   #7
SolarRat
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

About 3 years ago I was getting ready to build a large 48v pack for my boat. The cost from Alibaba for (16) 280ah cells with busbars was about $1000 shipped (48v 105ah was under $400). I put off my order a little too long, and after the supply chain issues and China sanctions the price from the same suppliers has more then doubled. But still, I'd rather build a 200-280ah pack with quality CATL, CALB or EVE cells and Bluetooth BMS than buy a pre-made 100ah mystery box for the same amount.
SolarRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 08:22 AM   #8
GolfNfool
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by lathon1973 View Post
I have a 2007 TXT it is 48 volts and needs batteries. i want to go to lithium but need to keep cost as low as possible. I was looking to get batteries that I could add to to get the Ah I need but could go ahead and get the cart going now.
was looking at Epoch, Big Battery, and Allied battery kits starting out wit 60 Ah then when possible (in less than a year) add to to go 90 Ah or 120 Ah(if needed) is one better than the other?
I have zero complaints about my big battery setup. I havent charged in months and its still sitting at 52 volts. I do like the idea of a single battery but I also like the space dual batteries affords. Can always at a third to hit 90ah and will still have tons of room under the seat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CartUnderseat.jpg (143.1 KB, 0 views)
GolfNfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 07:32 PM   #9
lathon1973
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedoggy View Post

My cells took 2 months to arrive.
https://buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=188399
I have looked at that and the problem now is that i need the batteries in the cart before end of June and ship date is June 17; that is when I have to have them for vacation. I wish had started looking earlier
lathon1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 09:16 PM   #10
Davey11A
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by lathon1973 View Post
Go with the Eco Battery. You will be pleased. Well worth the cost.
Davey11A is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
allied, big battery, epoch, lithium
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO