lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-30-2023, 07:36 PM   #1
Allegraman23
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 2005 Club Car Precedent 48V - Swap Lead Batteries to Lithium

I am looking to replace my old lead acid batteries in my 2005 Club Car Precedent.

Can I swap out my 4 lead acid 12V batteries with 4 new lithium batteries?

I do know that you can purchase a 48V lithium battery but I have heard that you need a converter kit.

I'm trying to make it as easy as possible by just swapping out 4 - 12V lead with 4 - 12V lithium's and using the same charging port and charger.

Has anybody done this before, and does anybody know if this is even possible doing it this way?

Thanks for any help or directions.

Allegraman23
Allegraman23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-30-2023, 08:35 PM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: 2005 Club Car Precedent 48V - Swap Lead Batteries to Lithium

Do not get four 12V Lithium! Get a 48V one. Read the threads here to find out why! Adding a converter is no big deal! Many of the good kits like ECO come with a converter.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2023, 10:46 PM   #3
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

That, and you DEFINITELY don't want to use the same charger. You need a Lithium specific charger.
Pat911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 07:05 AM   #4
Allegraman23
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
Do not get four 12V Lithium! Get a 48V one. Read the threads here to find out why! Adding a converter is no big deal! Many of the good kits like ECO come with a converter.
Thanks!

I will search the threads for more info.
Old 05-01-2023, 07:06 AM   #5
Allegraman23
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat911 View Post
That, and you DEFINITELY don't want to use the same charger. You need a Lithium specific charger.
Thanks!

Good to know.

Appreciate the reply.
Old 05-01-2023, 11:21 PM   #6
golf4dj
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allegraman23 View Post
I am looking to replace my old lead acid batteries in my 2005 Club Car Precedent.

Can I swap out my 4 lead acid 12V batteries with 4 new lithium batteries?

I do know that you can purchase a 48V lithium battery but I have heard that you need a converter kit.

I'm trying to make it as easy as possible by just swapping out 4 - 12V lead with 4 - 12V lithium's and using the same charging port and charger.

Has anybody done this before, and does anybody know if this is even possible doing it this way?

Thanks for any help or directions.

Allegraman23
Swapped my 4 12v lead acids out for the ECO Battery 72ah about 6 months ago in my 2005 precedent. Was not overly hard - I just followed a couple youtube videos and supplemented the videos with a few searches on this forum relative to the OBC bypass and I was good to go.

It is really quite easy and once you take the lead acid batteries out and pull the center console off to get at the exposed wires around the controller and OBC it is pretty straightforward to follow the bypass procedures. I can tell you from my experience, I read and re-read many of the OBC bypass threads and I was somewhat confused and intimidated but once I was able to actually see the wires it made it much easier to follow the OBC bypass procedures.

As others mentioned, the ECO Battery comes as a complete kit. It is awesome to be able to plug in a standard extension cord to charge the battery not to mention not having to deal with the mess that comes with lead acids. Highly recommend the conversion.
golf4dj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 11:39 PM   #7
golf4dj
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Sorry double post.
golf4dj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 05:13 AM   #8
sleeplesstwo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I have quite a lot of experience with RoyPoy. Not all perfect, but i can still say that I would very much recommend them. I am testing a newer product that has even better specs by the name of Qomolander Battery. So far I have been very impressed. One of the engineers from RoyPow now works for them.
So far, customer support has been very good.
I have some friends that have had great luck with Allied, but I have no personal experience with them.
Trojan makes a good product, but you had better stomp the piggy bank for them. Killer expensive, for mediocre performance.

You will need a new charger, and I too would stay away from any series 12 volt batteries.
sleeplesstwo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
48v, batteries, lithium, precedent
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car