lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-24-2023, 05:52 PM   #11
Beerman24
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default 2010 48v Precedent cuts off going uphill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy44 View Post
With the original charger charging currently and it’s been charging for the last 90 minutes, the current reading is 56.9 volts…that seems high to me.

Normal to be higher voltage while charging, especially when the charger is ramping.
Beerman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-24-2023, 07:21 PM   #12
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: 2010 48v Precedent cuts off going uphill

57-58v range is perfectly normal during the final phase of charging.

Dropping to 43 range under a load on a relatively fresh charge is a problem unless you’ve got some pretty major motor and controller upgrades.

Do the same test up a hill when it cuts out, except measure each battery individually and post the results of each battery. This will tell us if you’ve got a bad battery if one or two is lower than the rest.

If all the batteries are good it’s definitely possible it’s a bad cable. But fresh off the charger dropping to 43v under a load is no bueno.
CP241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 07:23 PM   #13
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerman24 View Post
CP, he asked about smart chargers at the end of his post as he wanted to upgrade his original one.
Understood but he perceived his stock charger as being an issue because he felt it was staying on too long, thus not working properly and researching a new charger. In this case I think that’s $ that could be better spent on something that actually solves his problem.
Old 05-24-2023, 07:57 PM   #14
Beerman24
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
Understood but he perceived his stock charger as being an issue because he felt it was staying on too long, thus not working properly and researching a new charger. In this case I think that’s $ that could be better spent on something that actually solves his problem.

Gotcha. I get it. Chargers stay on for hours and hours [emoji23]
Beerman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 08:38 PM   #15
Tommy44
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
57-58v range is perfectly normal during the final phase of charging.

Dropping to 43 range under a load on a relatively fresh charge is a problem unless you’ve got some pretty major motor and controller upgrades.

Do the same test up a hill when it cuts out, except measure each battery individually and post the results of each battery. This will tell us if you’ve got a bad battery if one or two is lower than the rest.

If all the batteries are good it’s definitely possible it’s a bad cable. But fresh off the charger dropping to 43v under a load is no bueno.
I do have one post that was melted, the cable is attached and everything is secure…but not the way the factory would have done it.
Tommy44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 08:41 PM   #16
Tommy44
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
I have heard that bypassing the OBC and using a new “smart” charger it will extend the life of the battery? Any truth to that?
Old 05-24-2023, 08:41 PM   #17
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
I do have one post that was melted, the cable is attached and everything is secure…but not the way the factory would have done it.
Also a problem

Check the batteries first make sure they are still good. I’d plan on replacing that cable though, melted post on new batteries is a dead giveaway
Old 05-24-2023, 09:10 PM   #18
Tommy44
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
I have heard that bypassing the OBC and using a new “smart” charger it will extend the life of the battery? Any truth to that?
Old 05-24-2023, 09:12 PM   #19
Tommy44
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Also a problem

Check the batteries first make sure they are still good. I’d plan on replacing that cable though, melted post on new batteries is a dead giveaway
Had someone helping me and I assumed they tightened everything down…once again a reason not to assume!
Old 05-24-2023, 10:38 PM   #20
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Not really… if your charger is working as intended then it’s working. The smart chargers have the ability to change charging algorithms to match the specific brand of batteries and can help some, but it’s not going to be a difference that makes the cart run or shut down like you’re experiencing. You’ve either got a battery issue or a bad cable
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car