lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-27-2023, 08:16 AM   #1
mtollin
Gone Wild

Default strange shut down CC factory lithium

My 2022 Club Car Lithium LI did a strange thing yesterday. Was running perfect then went down a steep hill, which have done many times before as it is a cart path. After sitting at the bottom for a several minutes went back to it and would not move. Battery said 80% and that I was in forward. Turned off and on several times, pressed forward, neutral, reverse (got a buzzer) and lights worked. Brake off (but pressed it several times) still cart only rolled with no power. Rolled easy too, no resistance. Turned Run/Tow off and on several times and let it sit for 15 seconds while in tow. Still nothing. Then, after being at bottom of hill for 5-10 minutes it suddenly started working. My first thought was bad Mcor, but now, since it seemed to need to sit and "cool off" I'm thinking bad regenerative braking and maybe over heated/dispersion shut me down. Shouldn't happen at 80%, but does happen to some when 100% charged.

Plan to see if dealer can pull a code later next week (closed for long holiday weekend), but thought I'd throw this out there for thoughts.

Also, how long will codes stay in memory? Anyone have an idea?
mtollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-27-2023, 12:30 PM   #2
TheCartBoy
WARRANTY VOID

E-Z-GO

Default Re: strange shut down CC factory lithium

You can buy the diagnostic box from clubcar and download the app for free. It's called CCDT. The fault codes stay in history until you reset them with the app.
Possibly the braking resistor overheated and went into a protection mode preventing you from driving. Even at 80% battery charge the braking resistor could be necessary to prevent too much Regen current being fed into the battery
TheCartBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 01:03 PM   #3
mtollin
Gone Wild

Thanks, but I believe scanner/programmer cost is over $1,000. I agree with your possible diagnostic. Does that make it defective or how do I prevent it from happening again? My Regen is set high for mtns (sport mode) to handle steep grades and I hardly ever even use brakes.
Old 05-27-2023, 01:28 PM   #4
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Curtis handheld is not that expensive but it should be able to read the codes. I can’t find the ccdt module online so figure that is a club car thing.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 05:14 PM   #5
TheCartBoy
WARRANTY VOID

E-Z-GO

The braking resistor isn't defective, there's a bimetal thermal switch that is monitored by the controller. When the resistor overheats, that thermal switch opens and controllers know the resistor cannot be used until it cools down and the switch closes again.
On the ezgo carts (rxv) you can install dual resistors so it can soak up more Regen current if you are in an especially hilly area. Increasing airflow on the resistor will help it stay cool, maybe you can install a small fan.
If you live in a hot area like FL combined with hilly terrain, might be simpler to only charge the cart up to 60?% maybe you need the full range so that's not an option.
Old 05-27-2023, 05:18 PM   #6
TheCartBoy
WARRANTY VOID

E-Z-GO

Could also bring a bottle of water and splash it on the resistor it's under the front cowl, if you get into that shutdown condition and see if it unlocks sooner. I've done this and water turns to steam instantly so be careful. It's also possible your have some turf clogging the heatsink fins on the resistor if you've been hoonin around .
Old 05-28-2023, 08:46 AM   #7
mtollin
Gone Wild

Thanks for the input. Strange that it never shut down before on same hill. Certainly don't want to sit at the bottom for 10 minutes while the other golfers, in same model cart head to next tee.
Old 05-28-2023, 09:24 AM   #8
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
Curtis handheld is not that expensive but it should be able to read the codes. I can’t find the ccdt module online so figure that is a club car thing.
Its definitely a club car thing. I have been trying to get one for the Club car lithiums as it is a dedicated controller on these. It is tied in with the battery and Visage GPS. As far as i know and can make out, the controller and programmer are designed and built for Ingersoll rand and pretty unique. The programmer/scanner is definitely Ingersoll rand as i managed to get hold of the user manual for it. It is actually a bluetooth dongle that you plug in and then use an app on your phone to access it.

Luckily i dont need one yet as our new club car fleets have been supplied as Tempo's converted with Roypow lithium kits as supplies of the proper carts were limited here in the UK. Lucky for me, as i can still use my handheld, but was dissapointed not to get the real club car lithium carts. Therefore i cannot comment on the OP's problem
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car