lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-13-2009, 10:56 AM   #1
bigoldjimbo
Not Yet Wild

Default 1990 2-Stroke Rebuild?

I've been working on my 2-stroke Marathon, and need a little help determining the next place to go. The cart seems underpowered at times, and I know that this little 2-stroke will pull much better with a little attention. That being said, I've got a loud noise in the clutches (I think it's the driven clutch that is making the noise after taking the belt off), while driving, so I'd like to replace the driven clutch, or at least the ramps (which is better here?) But, I did a compression test and got about 100psi, which I know is pretty low by 2-stroke standards. I then fogged the cylinder, and again did hte compression test and only got about 120psi. Does this point towards a piston/ring job, or will there be more to it? Thanks in advance.

-jim
bigoldjimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-13-2009, 02:06 PM   #2
Monsterezgokid
Kid no more!!

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1990 2-Stroke Rebuild?

Hi Jim.. yea your best bet is to put a new set of rings in the engine. Has it been rebuilt before? If not, you should also do crank seals when you have the engine out of the cart.

Most 9times/10 its the drive clutch making the noize. Is it kinda like a ping ping click click noise?

But now is a good time to take the driven clutch out and check the ramps.
Monsterezgokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 02:09 PM   #3
bigoldjimbo
Not Yet Wild

Yup, that's it. It's ping-ping-ping all down the road.... Any way I can avoid it without getting a new drive clutch?
bigoldjimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 02:14 PM   #4
Monsterezgokid
Kid no more!!

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigoldjimbo View Post
Yup, that's it. It's ping-ping-ping all down the road.... Any way I can avoid it without getting a new drive clutch?
99.999% sure its the drive clutch. ive had the same thing

As far as rebuilding an ezgo clutch.. not really. they dont have any rebuildable parts that are easily accessable.. You better get yourself an aftermarket clutch some time in the near future if you want one. Comet that makes them just went out of buissness, and many of us dont know who will be picking up the slack for the demand of aftermarket replacement clutches for carts.

But if you can, pull off the clutch with the proper puller, and take it apart, chances are the slider pads are all warn out, and the clutch can rock side to side between the sliders. You will see what i mean when you take it apart.

I think acutaly you could just take out the center clutch bolt, and unbolt the cover to take a look inside. You dont need to remove the clutch just for an inspection.. Many suggest to not spray any lube or such in the clutch because that will just attract more dirt and grime, i suggest the same.. But if the clutch is almost warn out, what do you got to loose.

You might beable to get a good used one on the for sale section of the site.
Monsterezgokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO