lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-29-2008, 08:08 PM   #11
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Default Re: 1989 marathon 36v cart only goes fast

Download one of the manuals on Curtis Instruments website. It will tell you how......much easier for you to read it than me to try and explain it. SERIES MOTOR CONTROLLERS
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-30-2008, 07:55 AM   #12
wkola
Not Yet Wild

Have you washed the cart down with water if so water can get into the controller and short out.
wkola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 08:11 AM   #13
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkola View Post
Have you washed the cart down with water if so water can get into the controller and short out.
Yep, I let mine sit outside with the seat off and the rear access cover off and it ruin 2 of my controllers. The potting material shrinks a little after many years.....your talking almost 20 years of getting hot and cold and contracting.
Old 08-30-2008, 08:34 AM   #14
wkola
Not Yet Wild

yes roady thats wright but some like to use pressure washers with Tim the Tool Man Taylor water pressure and blast everything clean and that will force water in every crack and crevice that wasnt there and make a new controller 20 yrs. old.
Old 08-30-2008, 08:40 AM   #15
CDStriper
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

thanks whola and roady I do wash it a alot as it is real dusty here during the summer. But it did work after the wash. The trouble started after lightning hit a tree about 200 yrds while the cart was charging. it did not trip the cuicit breaker but I wonder.The charger still works. Where and what controller and pot would you recommend I purchase should the controller test fail. thanks again CD
CDStriper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 09:09 AM   #16
wkola
Not Yet Wild

GE makes a good controller and so does alltrax. Try to get a bigger amp controller than the factor one you have say 400 amps or more that will give you more power and speed. the pot you can adjust it. If it is bad you can pick on up at a electronic supply store its like a radio knob [potentiometer] is what they call it make sure the value is o to 15 or 20 k ohms because you use 0 to 5 k ohms for the controller that would be the cheapest way out . A good chance ethier water got your controller or static discharge from the lightning hit got it. It is a good ideal to use a surge protector on your charger or get some MOVs metal oxide varistors and attach them to your ac plug of your charger to disapate surges.
good luck
Old 08-30-2008, 09:18 AM   #17
roady89
nimda
Club Car

If your ging to buy a pot from some place like radioshack I wouldn't suggest doing it. The radio shack units are chinese and don't hold very true....kinda rough and fluctuate badly. You could get one to test your controller with though.....hook up 2 aligator clips along with about 4-6' of wire and you have yourself a handheld throttle to test the controller with. You can get a 0-10k ohm pot for the handheld too...just don't turn it up so far the controller freaks and shuts down. It won't hurt it, you'll just have to power down and let the controller re-boot kinda.
Old 08-30-2008, 09:35 AM   #18
CDStriper
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

thanks for the info but I would like to purchase a controller and pot that is like the one I have so I can just replace it without to much fudging. Any good site where I could get a good deal. Can they be repaired if I send them out?
Old 08-30-2008, 10:19 AM   #19
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Carts Zone specializes in

Electric golf car parts

. And they give BGW members a little price break on the first order of $50 or more. Just tell them what you have and they will handle the rest. I suggest getting an alltrax controller....at least 400 amps or the biggest you can afford. Carts Zone - Electric golf car parts

If you buy the stock replacement components it will cost you allot more money than an Alltrax. Rebuilt controllers dont have a very good reputation.
Old 08-30-2008, 10:25 AM   #20
CDStriper
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

thanks roady I will check it out. CD
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO